Old 25-10-2006, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Wal Mart strikes again.

For a person who has been only to one orchid show and no greenhouses, I keep
finding a lot of interesting orchids for my house at Wal mart. These are
from a recent vacation to Tulsa Oklahoma, at a wally world just across the
street from Oral Roberts University.

http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/neworchid/244.jpg
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/neworchid/245.jpg
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/neworchid/246.jpg
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/neworchid/247.jpg

Old 25-10-2006, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Bruce Musgrove wrote:
For a person who has been only to one orchid show and no greenhouses, I keep
finding a lot of interesting orchids for my house at Wal mart. These are
from a recent vacation to Tulsa Oklahoma, at a wally world just across the
street from Oral Roberts University.

http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/neworchid/244.jpg
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/neworchid/245.jpg
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/neworchid/246.jpg
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/neworchid/247.jpg

While the quality and variety of plants at big box stores such as Lowe's
and Home Depot (can't speak for Walmart as I haven't seen theirs) has
certainly gone way up in the past few years, it is usually the case that
they are healthiest when they just arrive at the store as they either
don't know how to care for them or just don't do it. However, there is
far more variety at a show sale (especially like a regonal
conference)and as well many types of plants that are not available at
the big box stores.

Old 26-10-2006, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The wife and I like the to find ones that are unique in their coloring and
shape. I have only been to one show here and they only had a couple I
liked, mainly becasue they smelled sooooo good. A great varuety, but not
many interesting ones........Adn of course you can not beat the price at the
box store!

I am just amazed that Wal mart, Lowes nad Home depot actually have a good
variety of unique interesting orchids. If you ge there soon after arrival
(immediately after unpacking), they even have name tags!!!!!!