GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Oerstedella schweinfurthiana Imgp2201.jpg - Oerstedella schweinfurthiana Imgp2201.jpg (1/1) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/150831-re-oerstedella-schweinfurthiana-imgp2201-jpg-oerstedella-schweinfurthiana-imgp2201-jpg-1-1-a.html)

Larry Dighera 07-11-2006 05:52 PM

Oerstedella schweinfurthiana Imgp2201.jpg - Oerstedella schweinfurthiana Imgp2201.jpg (1/1)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 15:36:09 -0800, "wendy7" wrote in
:

Very nice Larry, I have this one & it bloomed once a few years ago & now
nothing. How do you grow yours? What kind of potting mix, outside or g/h?

Hi Wendy.

I purchased two Oerstedella schweinfurthiana offshoots of about 10" in
length from Santa Barbara Orchid Estate
http://www.sborchid.com/masterlist.php?genusname=Oerstedella about
three years ago, and potted them in medium fir bark and sponge rock.
They have been growing outdoors under 55% shade cloth, and about a
year ago I planted one in the garden against the house with a
northeast exposure. Both bloomed this spring and their long lasting
flowers are still beautiful now in November. I hope they continue to
bloom in future years.

They can reach a height of 14' potentially, but I've read they can be
kept to 4 or 5 feet by growing them in direct sun. Mine are currently
about that height both in the sun and shade.

How are you growing yours?

wendy7 07-11-2006 09:47 PM

Oerstedella schweinfurthiana Imgp2201.jpg - Oerstedella schweinfurthiana Imgp2201.jpg (1/1)

Thanks, about the same Larry, zone 9/10. I did divide it a couple of years ago & gave
piece to a friend & it seems to have been in a sulk mode ever since!
I am trying it in the g/h for now.

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid