Old 21-11-2006, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Our New Orchid Photography Book: Your Thoughts About it

We've just published a new photography book called LIKE SAND FROM
ORCHID'S LIPS, and it contains many incredible orchid photographs. It's
in the bookstores, but we also have been thinking that orchid
collectors, growers, stores, groups, etc. might be interested in it.
Please take a look at the page (there's a video that shows many photos
from the book), and let us know what you think.
(http://www.cafeandre.com)

Old 21-11-2006, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Judging from your video, your book appears to have a lot of pictures of
naked women in addition to orchids. If you are going to combine photos of
orchids and naked people, then in my opinion, they should be photos of naked
men. You could justify that with the etymology of the word orchid (derived
from the Greek word for testis). Photos of naked women don't do too much for
me (since I am a heterosexual female). Other "orchid collectors, growers,
stores, groups, etc." might have a different preference of course, and thus
may be more interested in your book than I am.

Joanna

ups.com...

Old 21-11-2006, 11:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I happen to think the nude female form is a thing of beauty, but that video
clearly demonstrates that the orchid connection is crap.

If you like books of photography, it might be worth the investment, but not
if your focus is orchids.

Old 25-11-2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Lee Lee is offline

The excerpt communicates an artful approach. The images are vibrant and
succulent. Check their intent. The invitation to the contributing
photogs challenge them to use three elements:
-The charismatic essence of orchids
-The sensuality of sand, and
-The grace of the human form.
Art is more than beautiful. It communicates. I'm glad to see that the
creative result has created some thought and response and perhaps
controversy. Controversy is not undesirable. Sometimes it is free
publicity. In the meantime there is an exchange of ideas.
My tip to the authors, photographers and publishers is that you could
gain significant goodwill with orchid enthusiasts worldwide by pledging
a percentage of the net profits of this book to the preservation of
orchid habitats. One avenue for orchid conservation can be found by
checking out: www.orchidconservationcoalition.org or emailing them at:

This book is not "flash in the pan". Forum readers can see a diversity
of books at the TCB site which is
http://www.cafeandre.com/index.html
including many endeavors such as a restaurant guide, "dogs that surf"
and the online TasteTV.
~enjoy
Lee