Old 16-04-2003, 02:56 AM
test

Default Lc root question

so i have this little Lc NOID seedling (tag says "Lc. Waianae Blaze
'Sweetheart'" but i wouldn't count on that--got it from a regular
nursery) and it's growing lovely roots--up. the roots crawl across the
bark, up the side of the pot--and then spiral up into the air (not out
and across like my big phal which is trying desperately to stake out
territory in the adjacent pots). and now the little thing is growing 2
new roots from the base of the youngest p.bulb--and they've sprouted
straight up too.

is this plant trying to tell me something? too much water? not enough
light? vertigo? it's in a little clay pot with slits and orchid bark,
water2x/wk. sits in an east window under a desk lamp in a pretty dry
rowhouse. i'm astounded it's growing at all; i didn't think i had
enough light for catts.....

thoughts?

--aka janet_a
Old 16-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Kenni Judd

1. Roots growing up may mean it doesn't like the bark in the pot. It might
prefer lava rock [esp. if the tag is correct and the Laelia parent(s) is/are
rupiculous]. Or, it could just be a habit of this particular plant, in
which case you'll have to decide either to live with it, or not ...

2. Lack of light won't stop you from growing catts; the question will be
whether they will _bloom_ for you "in the dark." I have been pleasantly
surprised by several catts blooming in light that I thought inadequate, when
we ran out of space in the catt section and had to put some of them in the
phal zone ... Others didn't bloom until we got them back out into more
light, but all grew fine.

3. If the plant is from a "regular nursery," why do you question the name
tag? Or did you mean you got it at one of the big-box stores like Home
Depot?

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 17-04-2003, 03:32 PM
janet_a

oh, it can grow its roots wherever it likes--this was just something i
hadn't seen before and was wondering if it was indicative of a
particular problem or condition. :-)

as for the tag--well, the *other* tag, the big cardboard one with the
flashy picture, said "cattleya orchid plant! easy to grow! art shades!
!" you know, that type of tag. ;-) so i don't know what grower it
came from so i'm not willing to buy the name tage 100%. but hey, it's
not dead yet, so i'm happy.

if it ever grows out of this pot, maybe i'll try putting it in lava...

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message ...
[...]

New root from an external root? Mike Orchids 10 01-01-2005 07:34 PM
Root ball question clipster Gardening 2 18-05-2003 06:32 PM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 01:32 AM
Another cat root question jim Orchids 2 20-04-2003 02:44 AM
bare root question Jane Roses 6 19-03-2003 01:56 AM