GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Off topic, bump keys (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/151271-off-topic-bump-keys.html)

K Barrett 30-11-2006 04:47 PM

Off topic, bump keys

Sorry about the off topic post, but this amazed me and I figured I wouldn't
be the only one. Your house locks can be defeated with a special key and a
tap.

and, if you think bump keys are hard to find, they aren't. Just google
'Bump key' and you'll see. Here's one:

http://www.bumpkey.us/

OK, now back to orchid discussion.

K Barrett

tennis maynard 30-11-2006 05:10 PM

Off topic, bump keys

K Barrett wrote:
Sorry about the off topic post, but this amazed me and I figured I wouldn't
be the only one. Your house locks can be defeated with a special key and a
tap.

and, if you think bump keys are hard to find, they aren't. Just google
'Bump key' and you'll see. Here's one:

http://www.bumpkey.us/

OK, now back to orchid discussion.

K Barrett

Oh, my, that reminds me, I must remember to pick up some 'thank you'
treats for my three large, loud dogs...

Diana Kulaga 30-11-2006 08:28 PM

Off topic, bump keys

Hmm. Every criminal on earth will have these.

Diana

wendy7 30-11-2006 09:09 PM

Off topic, bump keys

Now my idea is to invent some kind of alarm that goes off when the lock is bumped
& maybe some kind of spring loaded device that hits the 'bumper' in the nuts!

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Mark_OK 30-11-2006 09:10 PM

Off topic, bump keys

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Hmm. Every criminal on earth will have these.

Diana

Having worked as a locksmith for a good many years I don't recall of a
single break-in that involved picking a lock. Stolen keys - yes. Most
break-ins involve breaking something, hence the name. Locks only keep honest
people honest.

Mark

Johnny Borborigmi 01-12-2006 01:20 AM

Off topic, bump keys

On 2006-11-30 11:47:06 -0500, "K Barrett" said:

Sorry about the off topic post, but this amazed me and I figured I
wouldn't be the only one. Your house locks can be defeated with a
special key and a tap.

and, if you think bump keys are hard to find, they aren't. Just google
'Bump key' and you'll see. Here's one:

http://www.bumpkey.us/

OK, now back to orchid discussion.

K Barrett

It's not as easy as it looks.

Johnny Borborigmi 01-12-2006 01:21 AM

Off topic, bump keys

On 2006-11-30 16:10:10 -0500, "Mark_OK" said:

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Hmm. Every criminal on earth will have these.

Diana

Having worked as a locksmith for a good many years I don't recall of a
single break-in that involved picking a lock. Stolen keys - yes. Most
break-ins involve breaking something, hence the name. Locks only keep
honest people honest.

Mark

That is correct. I did locksmithing myself for a few years. Bump keys
are a fad and ae hard to usse than they make it look.

K Barrett 01-12-2006 05:10 AM

Off topic, bump keys

On 2006-11-30 16:10:10 -0500, "Mark_OK" said:

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Hmm. Every criminal on earth will have these.

Diana

Having worked as a locksmith for a good many years I don't recall of a
single break-in that involved picking a lock. Stolen keys - yes. Most
break-ins involve breaking something, hence the name. Locks only keep
honest people honest.

Mark

That is correct. I did locksmithing myself for a few years. Bump keys are
a fad and ae hard to usse than they make it look.

Thank goodness!

K Barrett

[email protected] 01-12-2006 03:03 PM

Off topic, bump keys

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:47:06 -0800 in K Barrett wrote:
Sorry about the off topic post, but this amazed me and I figured I wouldn't
be the only one. Your house locks can be defeated with a special key and a
tap.

and, if you think bump keys are hard to find, they aren't. Just google
'Bump key' and you'll see. Here's one:

http://www.bumpkey.us/

OK, now back to orchid discussion.

Well, there is a lower tech solution used for most home-burglaries.
It's called kicking in the door or breaking the window.

K Barrett

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up

tbell 02-12-2006 02:07 AM

Off topic, bump keys

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:47:06 -0800, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

http://www.bumpkey.us/

Oh, great! Thanks anyhow, Kath. Have you changed your locks yet?

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Aaron Hicks 02-12-2006 04:28 AM

Off topic, bump keys

Hey, Mark. Glad to see there's another locksmith in the group. I
worked my way through college as a locksmith; I don't do it every day, but
I do keep on top of it.

Anyway- what Mark said. Most theft and break-ins are functions of
opportunity. It's easier to break a window next to a door and open it on
up- good reason to use double-cylinder deadbolts, although there are
safety risks if you do so. Tip: Keep a key on a hook at floor level near
the door, or at least keep a key in the lock in the event of fire.

Theft involving direct manipulation of a lock- picking or bumping-
is very rare indeed. Some locks- like Kwiksets- are easy enough to bypass
without bump keys. Have a Kwikset key-in-knob lock? A pair of vice grips
and a machine screw will do it- pop the cup and directly manipulate the
mechanism with a screwdriver. Cinch.

People want a cheap lock on the door, and they get what they pay
for. The $18 piece of pot metal won't do the same job as a $160 Medeco.
Even then, unless the strike is done correctly- anchored into a wall stud
with the 3" screws each lock comes with- it's still easy enough to kick it
in. Lots of houses just have the strike put in place without the anchor
screws thanks to lazy or cheap builders. It all looks the same once it's
finished.

Bump keys are just an extension of a long history of bypassing
locks the easy way. Maybe Mark'll remember the "ice pick" attacks from the
early 1990's when some genius figured out you could directly manipulate
the latch after piercing the door- bypassing $300 locksets almost as fast
as you could with the key. That's why all modern latches (the good ones,
anyway) come with integral shrouds.

The address in the header doesn't work. Send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

J Fortuna 02-12-2006 02:53 PM

Off topic, bump keys

I remember one time going to visit friends who lived in a secure highrise
that had a guard at the front desk and a door that required a key at the
back. We had never been there before, and so by mistake found ourselves at
the back door which was locked and noone there to open it. We thought we
would need to go around to the front, and it was a really large building
complex, so it would have taken us a while and we were reluctant to do so,
when we saw a teenager coming by. To this day, I do not know whether he
actually lived there and had a key and just wanted to show off, or whatnot.
He asked us whether we had a credit card or something like it, and when we
handed it to him, he opened the door to this "secure" highrise as quickly
and efficiently as if he had had a key (and he gave us back our card, so no,
this was not an ingenious scheme of steeling a credit card :-)

Joanna

[email protected] 02-12-2006 10:49 PM

Off topic, bump keys

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 14:53:31 GMT in Lrgch.1771$QC.1691@trnddc02 J Fortuna wrote:
[...]

Yeah, had the same sort of thing at one employer. The manager responsible for
badge access to the datacenter was moved to someone that wasn't a very
responsive individual. We discovered that our ID badges worked just fine
to jimmy the lock to the datacenter.

The toughest lock I ever encountered was to the bathroom off of the cubicle
area of a largely vacant building. The previous folks there were polite
enough to lock the doors before they left and before the summer was out the
water had evaporated out of the traps. We finally popped two ceiling tiles
and dropped in to unlock it :-).

Johnny Borborigmi 03-12-2006 12:31 AM

Off topic, bump keys

On 2006-11-30 16:10:10 -0500, "Mark_OK" said:

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Hmm. Every criminal on earth will have these.

Diana

Having worked as a locksmith for a good many years I don't recall of a
single break-in that involved picking a lock. Stolen keys - yes. Most
break-ins involve breaking something, hence the name. Locks only keep
honest people honest.

Mark

Agreed. Absolutely correct. Remember, these morons (burgulars) don't
want to be seen or heard. Robbers on the other hand don't give a damn.
Breaks in are called that for a reason.