GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   FA: Great Horned Owl bird and pest control (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/151373-fa-great-horned-owl-bird-pest-control.html)

lampbay 06-12-2006 02:17 AM

FA: Great Horned Owl bird and pest control

FA: Great Horned Owl Figurine Statuary Garden Home

gerald 06-12-2006 01:29 PM

FA: Great Horned Owl bird and pest control

We have a couple of real ones within 2-300 feet of either side of our
property. they do not seem to discourage anything, and if the crows
find them during the day, they attract a whole lot of crows.

Ray B 07-12-2006 01:51 AM

FA: Great Horned Owl bird and pest control

....just don't be a field mouse.

We have a family that has roosted in our yard for the 18 years we have lived
here. Ditto on a pair of red tailed hawks.

[email protected] 07-12-2006 02:58 PM

--

oh COOL-!

we have a couple sharpies that come by and try and snack on the doves
on my feeder (with occasional success-- eww) but i've never seen any
owls around here. heard 'em very rarely.

--j_a

[email protected] 07-12-2006 04:11 PM

On 7 Dec 2006 06:58:09 -0800 in om wrote:

Ray B wrote:
...just don't be a field mouse.

We have a family that has roosted in our yard for the 18 years we have lived
here. Ditto on a pair of red tailed hawks.

--

oh COOL-!

we have a couple sharpies that come by and try and snack on the doves
on my feeder (with occasional success-- eww) but i've never seen any
owls around here. heard 'em very rarely.

The parents have had a few owls (Don't remember the variety) that
have taken to roosting in a pine tree outside my dad's workshop.
My sister got curious and "dissected" a few of the owl pellets and
discovered that the were eating more crayfish than mice.

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up

Kenni Judd 07-12-2006 10:34 PM

Great Horned Owl bird and pest control

We have a resident hawk. Makes the chickens very nervous ... Kenni

"lampbay" wrote in message
.. .
FA: Great Horned Owl Figurine Statuary Garden Home

Steve[_2_] 10-12-2006 05:52 AM

wrote:

The parents have had a few owls (Don't remember the variety) that
have taken to roosting in a pine tree outside my dad's workshop.
My sister got curious and "dissected" a few of the owl pellets and
discovered that the were eating more crayfish than mice.

Well I'll be darned. I would have never thought that an owl would learn
to catch crayfish. Of course, here, crayfish are strictly aquatic. Could
it be that in your area there are crayfish that venture onto land at
night? I do remember once in Southern Ohio seeing holes in a muddy lake
shore that seemed to have been inhabited by crayfish.

Steve