Old 09-12-2006, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default aphrodite or amabilis? Please help

Hello,

I couldn't resist and bought NO ID again from supermarket.
Can someone help me to identify if it's aphrodite or amabilis or
something else?
I appreciate your help and thank you all in advance.
Here some pictures of it:

http://sforzando.de/bhr/Phal_1.jpg

http://sforzando.de/bhr/Phal_2.jpg

http://sforzando.de/bhr/Phal_3.jpg

I had to transplant it immediately because media was terrible
with some strange insects from Asia I guess,
and now it going to grow in semi-hydroponics btw.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchis
I couldn't resist and bought NO ID again from supermarket.
Can someone help me to identify if it's aphrodite or amabilis or
something else?
Hybids are far more commercially viable than species, so if you bought it in a supermarket, I would automatically think hybrid unless there is a statement to the contrary. Certainly, your plant does resemble a specie, but so does a whole load of unsucessful hybrids and throwbacks. Looking alike is not the same, I'm afraid. Sorry.

Weng
Old 09-12-2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Weng" wrote in message
snip
Certainly, your plant does resemble a
specie, but so does a whole load of unsucessful hybrids and throwbacks.
Looking alike is not the same, I'm afraid. Sorry.

snip

Of course, just because something is a No ID hybrid Phal does _not_ have to
mean that it is unsuccessful and a throwback. If you like the looks of it,
and are pleased with your purchase, that's what should count for you. Some
of my favorite orchids are No ID hybrid Phals.

Joanna

Old 10-12-2006, 07:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

J Fortuna schrieb:

"Weng" wrote in message
snip
Certainly, your plant does resemble a
specie, but so does a whole load of unsucessful hybrids and throwbacks.
Looking alike is not the same, I'm afraid. Sorry.

snip

Of course, just because something is a No ID hybrid Phal does _not_ have to
mean that it is unsuccessful and a throwback. If you like the looks of it,
and are pleased with your purchase, that's what should count for you. Some
of my favorite orchids are No ID hybrid Phals.

Joanna

Thanks Joanna,

you're right, I have two NoID Phals and I'm so happy with them
and I enjoy this one so much. I think, if I would
work on hybridizing new orchids it would be important how clean
genetically
parents are, but I just love Phals and enjoy species, also with ID,
that I
have without knowing how clean they are.
Actually this one was only one between maybe 35 or 40
Phal hybrids in supermarket and I think it got there accidentally,
and I think it's more species than hybrid.
How many of us know for sure how clean species are that we have?
I could, with kindly help of people over here and other forum,
identify some of my NoID Phals and now I know I have
one peloric Phal Brother Cortez Red and it's just beautiful.
I'm just a bit uncomfortable if they are without a name...

Bahram

Old 10-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchis
Of course, just because something is a No ID hybrid Phal does _not_ have to
mean that it is unsuccessful and a throwback. If you like the looks of it,
and are pleased with your purchase, that's what should count for you. Some
of my favorite orchids are No ID hybrid Phals.

Joanna

Thanks Joanna,

you're right, I have two NoID Phals and I'm so happy with them
I'm just a bit uncomfortable if they are without a name...

Bahram

I have at least 30 NoIDs ;-) And no, they don't have to be rejects. In fact, quite the opposite. Most commercial plants are mericlones, and if you are about to produce and raise a million plants, you'd chose the very best, free-flowering parent money can buy! It is just a pity they don't then tell you what it is.

I just label mine as Phalaenopsis hybrid #?. You could also give it a clonal name, if you like. The label might then read Phalaenopsis hybrid #2 'Walmart'. This way, the plant never gets into the wider community under a false name.

Weng

Old 10-12-2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I was talking to one of the really big growers. He said what it would cost
to put labels in all his plants was about equal to how much he took out of
the business. I though it seemed a bit far fetched so I did some
calculations with sales numbers from Greenhouse Grower and assumed labels
and man power would run between 10 and 20 cents per label. Numbers seemed
to be just about right on. It is not like these growers do not know what
they are growing, it is just the nature of the business. I am guessing for
the box stores to carry plants with labels would add 50 cents to a dollar
per plant to the consumer.

Pat

"Weng" wrote in message

J -

--
Weng

Old 13-12-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

When I speak to groups at our show I often hold up an out of bloom plant.
With the label in the pot this plant is worth about $10 to $15 to a
collector. I pull the label out and say this same plant now may be worth
$5.

The big box stores plan to move the plant before it goes out of bloom so
"what you see is what you get". When the bloom is gone the plant goes into
the write off pile.

For smaller operations like the local neighborhood nursery the extra money
makes it worthwhile keeping the plant alive.

When I was younger I bought any orchid that the plant looked good and the
price was marked down. The first plants I bought were from HD picking them
out of the trash can at $.25 each. I still have some of those Den biggibum
hybrids. The NOID plants served their purpose of teaching me how to quickly
kill an orchid.

Now that I have a full house I have to be very selective about what I buy.
Personally, I would only buy an unlabeled plant if it was something I wanted
to try not to kill and the price was cheap.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
I was talking to one of the really big growers. He said what it would

cost
to put labels in all his plants was about equal to how much he took out of
the business. I though it seemed a bit far fetched so I did some
calculations with sales numbers from Greenhouse Grower and assumed labels
and man power would run between 10 and 20 cents per label. Numbers seemed
to be just about right on. It is not like these growers do not know what
they are growing, it is just the nature of the business. I am guessing

for
the box stores to carry plants with labels would add 50 cents to a dollar
per plant to the consumer.

Pat

"Weng" wrote in message

J -

Old 14-12-2006, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Pat: I think you are pretty close at 20 cents a label. The big growers who
do label have very expensive thermal printers (cost of which must somehow be
amortized per label) compared to my ancient -- and cheap -- dot-matrix, but
most of them have cheaper labor than small growers, and it's more efficient
to tag huge lots of the same thing, rather than smaller lots of different
plants.

But the real factor is demand. The vast majority of customers don't WANT
labels. They pull them out and toss them like they were the price-tags on
clothing. I even find them strewn in my parking lot.

I give a very short version of the spiel mentioned by another poster, about
labels and plant value, with my repotting talks. I also tell the audience
that the tag is important, because someday they may have a question about
their plant, and if they call me and say "I have a question about my
orchid," I'm not going to be able to help them, if I don't know what it is
(and if they tell me it's a "white one," I'm liable to hang up on them G).
The latter seems slightly more effective than the former, but neither
converts more than 1-2% into label keepers. Kenni

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
I was talking to one of the really big growers. He said what it would cost
to put labels in all his plants was about equal to how much he took out of
the business. I though it seemed a bit far fetched so I did some
calculations with sales numbers from Greenhouse Grower and assumed labels
and man power would run between 10 and 20 cents per label. Numbers seemed
to be just about right on. It is not like these growers do not know what
they are growing, it is just the nature of the business. I am guessing for
the box stores to carry plants with labels would add 50 cents to a dollar
per plant to the consumer.

Pat

"Weng" wrote in message

J -

Old 17-12-2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Orchis,

Why not give them your own nicknames that you can use for your own purposes
when referring to them just for the fun of it. All my orchids have nicknames
that I use at home, and since I have no intention of either showing any of
them at an orchid show or reselling any of them, it does not matter -- also
I never put those nicknames on labels, so there is no confusion anyway. I
have one that is named "Streaky-cheeked tulip *******" because it has
streaks on its "cheeks" (petals)and as far as I know one of its ancestors
could have been an illegitimate offspring of a tulip (since it is a NoID).
Then there is "Penta-speckled Canary Twin" which has flowers that are sort
of pentagon shaped, spotted, yellow, and had two spikes when I got it (now
it has four spikes, so I guess I should call it Penta-speckled Canary
Quadruplet"). Others have shorter names such as "Doubloom," which is roughly
based on the old Spanish currency of the doubloon (sp?) because it's flowers
are flat and sort of golden like a gold coin; and "Lapel" which is peloric
(hence the nickname ends in pel). Who knows you might have fun inventing
your own nicknames for your No ID's, and I am sure you could be much more
creative than Phal NoID 'Walmart', right? :-)

For your information, none of your No ID Phals can ever be truly identified.
So when you say that kindly people have helped you identify the NoID Phals,
that is misleading. Since there are so many Phal hybrids out there and many
are similar to one another, all the forum members could tell you is that
there are these Phals that sort of look like your Phals, and may or may not
be the same or a related hybrid.

Best,
Joanna

"Orchis" wrote in message
ps.com...
J Fortuna schrieb:

snip

Phal amabilis Wendy7 Orchid Photos 2 01-05-2009 07:57 AM
Phalaenopsis amabilis Mike Derby[_2_] United Kingdom 5 07-08-2008 05:38 PM
Phal amabilis Wendy7 Orchid Photos 1 26-03-2008 09:47 PM
Hosta Plantaginea Aphrodite advice requested Frank Gardening 7 16-07-2004 03:02 AM
Question about Phal. amabilis Dewitt Orchids 3 29-04-2004 01:04 AM