GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Phrag Cardinale with bud (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/151511-phrag-cardinale-bud.html)

Nancy G. 12-12-2006 06:08 PM

Phrag Cardinale with bud

May sound pretty stupid to all of you, but it's finally (knock on wood)
going to bloom. I bought it about 7 years ago with several divisions
in a 6" pot. It outgrew that pot and I divided it into 2 6" pots This
is the first year that it has started a bud. I don't have a clue
whether I finally got something right, or if it just reached a maturity
that told it to bloom.

I did change a lot of things the last year or so. I divided it into a
coir mix, put the phrags in a deeper tray that held water around the
base of the pot, changed plant food, tested and ammennded the ph, and
used rainwater as much as possible. Anyway, something has convinced it
to bloom, or at least try. I am so excited.

Wish me luck,

Nancy

Reka 12-12-2006 08:21 PM

Phrag Cardinale with bud

Nancy G. wrote:
May sound pretty stupid to all of you, but it's finally (knock on wood)
going to bloom. I bought it about 7 years ago with several divisions
in a 6" pot. It outgrew that pot and I divided it into 2 6" pots This
is the first year that it has started a bud. I don't have a clue
whether I finally got something right, or if it just reached a maturity
that told it to bloom.

I did change a lot of things the last year or so. I divided it into a
coir mix, put the phrags in a deeper tray that held water around the
base of the pot, changed plant food, tested and ammennded the ph, and
used rainwater as much as possible. Anyway, something has convinced it
to bloom, or at least try. I am so excited.

Wish me luck,

Nancy

We'll be anxiously awaiting pics! :)

Reka

Susan Erickson 13-12-2006 01:09 AM

Phrag Cardinale with bud

On 12 Dec 2006 10:08:16 -0800, "Nancy G." wrote:

May sound pretty stupid to all of you, but it's finally (knock on wood)
going to bloom. I bought it about 7 years ago with several divisions
in a 6" pot. It outgrew that pot and I divided it into 2 6" pots This
is the first year that it has started a bud. I don't have a clue
whether I finally got something right, or if it just reached a maturity
that told it to bloom.

I did change a lot of things the last year or so. I divided it into a
coir mix, put the phrags in a deeper tray that held water around the
base of the pot, changed plant food, tested and ammennded the ph, and
used rainwater as much as possible. Anyway, something has convinced it
to bloom, or at least try. I am so excited.

Wish me luck,

Nancy

It may also be that you gave it enough light. Ours lives against the
west glass wall in the gh. They are lovely blooms. Glad to hear she
is FINALY behaving for you. Best of luck with the blooms.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids