Old 20-12-2006, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Test

Is RGO broken or is it possible that there has been not a single post
here in 5 days? I'm still getting new messages on ABPO.

Steve
Old 20-12-2006, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve wrote:

Is RGO broken or is it possible that there has been not a single post
here in 5 days? I'm still getting new messages on ABPO.

Steve

OK, I got my own post so that tell me that much.

Old 20-12-2006, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

well, i saw one of those dyed poinsettias the other day--it looked
*diseased*-! ick!

there. does that help??

--j_a

Old 21-12-2006, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I went to a place called "Orchid World" in Florida one year and saw painted
Phals. "Orchid World" is kind of a Theme Park/Tourist Trap thing, the likes
of which only exist in Florida. I suppose a Midwest counterpart is
something like the Corn Palace or the World's largest String Ball. I don't
know if other countries have such things. Orchid World is reclaimed swamp
land near a strip mall that houses a place called "Beach Towel World" and
across the street from "Sea-Shell World" (if I remember correctly)

The painted orchids were on the empty pocket side of the ticket purchasing
booth and were in an island display of big white Phals painted.green, red,
and blue. It was very odd, in that they didn't look "painted" or 'dyed'.
Only problem is they didn't look real either. Some shades of blue, green
and red just don't show up as real concolor flowers. ...on any planet.
....in any universe. Still, it was eye-catching ...n a very Kitschy kind of
way.

"Steve" wrote in message
well, i saw one of those dyed poinsettias the other day--it looked
*diseased*-! ick!

there. does that help??

--j_a

Yes it does, a little.
You know, those artificially colored poinsettias were mentioned here last
week. I don't get to Lowes very often (3 hour round trip) but I went
shopping last Friday and I needed to look for something in Lowes. There
they were. Only a few next to a larger group of normal ones. The ones they
had were sort of lavender with glitter. The normal ones looked so much
nicer.

Steve

Old 21-12-2006, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Seems so....
Joe T

Old 21-12-2006, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

My main reaction to poinsettias, whether painted or not does not matter,
it's "No, Robert. No! Here have a insert object instead. Isn't that a nice
something or other? Much nicer than the yucky poinsettia. No, you don't
agree? Ok, let's go someplace completely different then." [Exit me with
screaming toddler in arms, going to the other end of the room -- letting
screaming child down someplace safer, whereupon he immediately tries to go
back to poinsettia etc etc]

I found myself looking at the poinsettias in our office building, thinking,
"why would our office management put those up? don't they know that these
things are poisonous, and make one throw up if ingested." Then I remembered
that my coworkers and I are not toddlers, and thus everyone is probably safe
from ingesting poinsettias at the office. Similarly when I see a paper clip
lying on the floor in the office, my first thought is "that's a choking
hazard" before I remember that I am at the office. At an office lunch I
realized belatedly that I took too many paper napkins out of force of habit.
And as I was working on putting together a glossary for a document at work,
I found myself humming the alphabet song, since the glossary is an alphabet
sort of thing.

On the other hand, my mind is not completely taken up by the rampaging
toddler, my evidence for that is that my orchids are still doing quite well,
so I must be watering them often enough I suppose. Currently only six of my
orchids are in flower, but 18 are in spike or in bud!

Joanna

Old 21-12-2006, 06:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I went there too, once. About 3 or 4 years ago. 90% of what they had in
bloom was big white Phals. None of them painted that year. What an odd
little place. At least the kids enjoyed playing with the pet birds.

Steve

Old 21-12-2006, 06:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Speaking from "bitter" experience, he says it's unlikely a kid or an
animal will eat more than one bite. He describes the taste as far worse
than the most bitter radicchio. Frankly, he says, the flavor is
indescribably awful. "
Let him take a little taste. You make a yucky face as you watch. He'll
see you, taste the bitter, and you'll never have to worry again.
Quote from he
http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/poinsettia.asp

Steve

Old 21-12-2006, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

al wrote:

The painted orchids were on the empty pocket side of the ticket purchasing
booth and were in an island display of big white Phals painted.green, red,
and blue. It was very odd, in that they didn't look "painted" or 'dyed'.
Only problem is they didn't look real either. Some shades of blue, green
and red just don't show up as real concolor flowers. ...on any planet.
...in any universe. Still, it was eye-catching ...n a very Kitschy kind of
way.

this utterly befuddles me--orchids come in virtually every color of the
visible specturm--WHY would anyone want to paint them??

ah well, i admit to understanding less and less of everything as i get
older......

so, has anyone tried watering their plants with colored water to see if
the blooms pick it up?

--j_a

Test test Al Zymer United Kingdom 1 14-03-2003 09:44 PM
test J Kolenovsky Gardening 0 08-02-2003 02:59 AM
test J Kolenovsky Gardening 0 08-02-2003 12:01 AM
test gardener J Edible Gardening 0 31-01-2003 12:54 AM
test Jerry Hoffmeister Orchids 3 30-01-2003 10:26 PM