Old 21-12-2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Ping SuE

Denver is coverd in snow. They closed the airport. Are you OK?

Kath

Old 22-12-2006, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I was in contact with her earlier today. She's okay! Where she lives has a
bit less snow than what we are seeing on the telly. Having said that, she's
snowed in like everyone else. What a mess! There are people who will spend
Christmas waiting for planes.

Diana

Old 22-12-2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:50:17 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Denver is coverd in snow. They closed the airport. Are you OK?

Kath

We are fine. About 2 feet fell. the problem is what blew. My front
door flower bed, which usually gets 2" and then melts dry, is waist
deep in snow. It did not quit snowing in Denver until after noon. We
are 50 miles north and woke to bright clear skys. After 5 cleanings
we can get out. In fact our drive is dry. It is just the piles that
we are not used to any more. When you live in snow country you kind
of expect every corner to be blind due to snow piles, we are not in
the habit of that anymore. Deciding which side of the drive to build
the pile was an unusual event. In Chicago it is automatic, here it is
unheard of.

My daughter who is 4' 6" has a 4-foot high drift between her garage
door and the street.

We even saw the tracks of that vanishing species; Snow Plow efficient.
They plowed 1 pass up the street tonight. I think the last time they
plowed the street was March 15, 2003. That was the last big snow that
Metro Denver had. And I am not even sure we got that much of it. We
are north and east of Boulder so that we are in a mountain shadow
rather than at the foot of a pass. This allows some shadow protection
from most snow. This one came from the east and ran up against the
mountains which caused it to dump. An upslope snow is like a lake
effect snow.. fells unending. And D U M P S.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 22-12-2006, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:49:38 -0500, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

I was in contact with her earlier today. She's okay! Where she lives has a
bit less snow than what we are seeing on the telly. Having said that, she's
snowed in like everyone else. What a mess! There are people who will spend
Christmas waiting for planes.

Diana

When the airport closed they hauled eveyone who would go to the
airport hotels. They ran another shuttle later to the hotels in
Denver. That left only 4,700 in the airport overnight. This am they
ran a convoy of busses from downtown and got 600 to go downtown. This
afternoon they tried again. They think they are down below 3,000 in
the airport. Some are saying they will wait there until they get a
standby seat. Because that is the only way they think they will get a
seat. Others say they will wait in the hotel until a confirmed seat
is available. But either way - this is $$ out of the travelers
pocket.
Old 22-12-2006, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:

[...]

Wow! I have a friend who is hoping to move to Montrose (south of Denver and
east of Durango, as far as I know) I'll bet I see their 'for sale' sign
pulled down tomorrow! Glad you and yours are safe and OK, in spite of
having snow to your navels and or earlobes (in your daughters case)

Old 22-12-2006, 05:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:14:09 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Wow! I have a friend who is hoping to move to Montrose (south of Denver and
east of Durango, as far as I know) I'll bet I see their 'for sale' sign
pulled down tomorrow! Glad you and yours are safe and OK, in spite of
having snow to your navels and or earlobes (in your daughters case)

The last time was 20" in 3/03 before that there was one smaller one
and I don't remember the date. Then in 12/82 a Blizzard came thru
that closed the airport (Stapleton at the time) on Christmas Eve. 4
in 4 in 23 years - Heck that hardly counts.

Montrose is just south of Grand Junction. They got 1" in this storm.
That is know here as the Western Slope and has a whole different
weather pattern. Grand Junction area is closer to Napa in climate
than we are. The Area just east of town is the fruit belt and wine
industry of CO. Before probation they had a greater wine industry
than CA.

Heck this came in from the east and slammed into the mountains. The
ski industry only pulled 6-10 inches off it. The rest is out here on
the plains where the wind comes sweeping down from Montana with nary a
tumble weed to slow it down and the snow falls sideways. It is not
the straight fall we worry about -- it is that sideways sweep.

They had to close the interstate with 12 foot drifts across it just
south of Denver. Denver to Kansas was closed because of a "white out"
as was I76 to Nebraska. I25 to Wyoming could not get you out of
metro-Denver. As long as it was not your car stuck in the drift or
you walking thru the snow the pictures have been fun.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
PING PING Jan -ED Ponds 0 30-06-2006 04:46 PM
I'm watering daily - So sue me! S. McLaren Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Sue E, Come In.......... Diana Kulaga Orchids 0 02-04-2003 08:56 PM
U.S. consumer groups to sue USDA over GMO medicine crops Marcus Williamson sci.agriculture 4 07-03-2003 12:22 AM