Old 27-12-2006, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Maikai 'Mayumi' -- how do you make it bloom?

So a friend brings has an orchid she got from her brother or somebody
or other in Florida. It's a huge, specimen-sized plant--theoretically
Brassocattleya Maikai 'Mayumi'--in one of the best-looking pots I've
ever seen. Anyway, she says he can't get it to bloom so she thought
she'd give it a try and it's not blooming for her either. I took home a
hunk and potted it up, thinking my nice bright bay window would be just
the thing. A couple of years later, I've got enthusiastic foliage
growth (for an orchid), but no bloom either. Maikai 'Mayumi' is
supposed to be an easy bloomer, so I'm wondering if we have something
different altogether or if we're maybe missing some vital secret. Any
ideas?

--
Caren

Old 27-12-2006, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It usually boils down to light, these are high light plants, but also make
sure it gets at least a 10 degree day/night temperature variation, doesn't
go below about 55F at night and maybe cut back on feeding in the winter time
(or when it isn't in active growth). Usually you don't have to rest
cattleyas, but hey. Its worth a try. For more light have you tried
summering it outside?

K Barrett

ps.com...

Old 27-12-2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:
It usually boils down to light, these are high light plants, but also make
sure it gets at least a 10 degree day/night temperature variation, doesn't
go below about 55F at night and maybe cut back on feeding in the winter time
(or when it isn't in active growth). Usually you don't have to rest
cattleyas, but hey. Its worth a try. For more light have you tried
summering it outside?

It does summer outside in the filtered light near our ornamental
grass--much more light than that and it would be in direct sun. It's
certainly enough light to send our oncidiums into a summertime blooming
frenzy.

I'm not sure what the day/night temperature variation is in the
bay--that'll be something to check.
--
Caren

Old 27-12-2006, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi there Caren, I too have had this plant for years & has overgrown itself so
much so, that I was thinking of breaking it up. It seems that it gets fewer
spikes/flowers each year?
I have grown it in a greenhouse & outside in bright & lots of sunlight.
I am told it is a primary hybrid of:- B. nodosa x C. bowringiana
I have not really study the parents culture but both are easy growers.
Kathy might be onto something so lets see if anyone else chimes in.
--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

K Barrett wrote:
It usually boils down to light, these are high light plants, but also
make sure it gets at least a 10 degree day/night temperature
variation, doesn't go below about 55F at night and maybe cut back on
feeding in the winter time (or when it isn't in active growth). Usually you don't
have to rest cattleyas, but hey. Its worth a try.
For more light have you tried summering it outside?

K Barrett

ps.com...

Old 27-12-2006, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The three most common reasons for non-blooming a

1) Insufficient light
2) Insufficient food and water
3) Too much nitrogen

In the case of an overgrown, pot-bound plant, it is possible that the amount
of moisture/nutrient retention in the pot is limited by the mass of roots
blocking the flow of liquids to the medium. The result is a degree of
feeding deficiency, even if one waters and feeds the same as previously.

K Barrett wrote:
It usually boils down to light, these are high light plants, but also
make sure it gets at least a 10 degree day/night temperature
variation, doesn't go below about 55F at night and maybe cut back on
feeding in the winter time (or when it isn't in active growth). Usually
you don't have to rest cattleyas, but hey. Its worth a try.
For more light have you tried summering it outside?

K Barrett

ps.com...

Old 28-12-2006, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:04:43 GMT, "Ray B"
wrote:

The three most common reasons for non-blooming a

1) Insufficient light
2) Insufficient food and water
3) Too much nitrogen

In the case of an overgrown, pot-bound plant, it is possible that the amount
of moisture/nutrient retention in the pot is limited by the mass of roots
blocking the flow of liquids to the medium. The result is a degree of
feeding deficiency, even if one waters and feeds the same as previously.

Following Ray's thoughts - some people have used the african violet
fertilizer called "Granny's Bloomers" for a feed this is low
Nitrogen(1-6-5). I have never used it. It is readily available in
the big boxes and garden centers, part of the reason for its usage.

What you do NOT want to have is lush dark green foliage. If your
getting really pretty dark green leaves you have too much nitrogen for
the amount of light your supplying. I would vote for a double whammy
of less nitrogen and more light.

If you heat the house (I don't remember hearing where you live) and
turn down the thermostat at night (most of us do to conserve $) you
will naturally have a drop in night time temp. Especially as it is
always cooler next to a window. I would not worry about the temp drop
unless you heat to 70 all night long.

Good Luck
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids