Old 28-12-2006, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Duck - Here comes Round 2

Denver is set for another major winter storm. We expect another foot
plus of snow. Two major storms within 7 days is almost unprecedented.
We are still trying to shovel out from the last one. Pot holes now
mean bare pavement where the ice has worn off the street; not a hole
in the pavement.

In the 30 plus years we have lived here the Neighborhood once paid to
have a contractor plow and the city did it once last week. We have
some idiot neighbors that are throwing the shoveled snow into the
street. They don't get that this is not a normal 2 day melt out. Our
normal snows are like a September 2" shower in the Midwest -- gone in
2 days except for the shadows on the north side of buildings. This is
deja-vu of Chicago winters I thought we had left behind.

Good luck in 2 days in St Louis... Although they say this one is going
to stall here - part of the reason we will get so much. Then the
second day we get more snow with 20 - 50 mile an hour winds to help
distribute it appropriately. Grin The tallest drifts across the
widest part of the drive and against front doors.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 28-12-2006, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Checked the weather map. Looks like a migration of snowbirds on Rand
McNally. East on I-90, north I-25, then divide to west on I-70. Wow.
Lived for 5 years in Farmington NM, used to catch all the snow reports.
Never saw anything quite like this.

Grandparents and great aunts and uncles were raised on ranches in
Wyoming and Nebraska. Their blizzard precautions were to have a hatch
in the roof and guide lines strung between the outbuildings and house
so they wouldn't get lost in the yard. Sounded so much like the five
miles to school, on foot, uphill both directions... Growing up I
thought the stories were hilarious and fascinating, but B.S.

Good Luck,

Nancy

Old 28-12-2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Susan,

How 'bout some pictures on ABPO. We're wondering what the white stuff looks
like. John must have some neat ones.

Bob
St. Paul, MN
Expecting rain and 40's today, Friday, Saturday, chance of white on Sunday

Old 28-12-2006, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I was going to tell you the front that passed through here yesterday was a
doozie, so it should hit you either today or tomorrow. There were 60+ mph
winds at my house. One panel of shade cloth needs to be tied down again.

K Barrett

Old 28-12-2006, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:56:24 -0600, "Bob Walsh"
wrote:

Susan,

How 'bout some pictures on ABPO. We're wondering what the white stuff looks
like. John must have some neat ones.

Bob
St. Paul, MN
Expecting rain and 40's today, Friday, Saturday, chance of white on Sunday

I tried last time to get him out with the camera and he would not go.
I will try again. Daughter in North Denver says she has 1 inch. We
have rain/snow mix right now skateing rink here we come. On the
other hand each drop of rain would have made how many snow flakes. As
long as it stays warmer we are better off in the long run. Eventually
this all has to go.

I just want my Christmas Eve dinner before the kids have to fly east
to go back to work.
Old 28-12-2006, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:05:00 -0500, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Stock up the house and take care, Sue. Be sure to remember the brandy! Stay
safe and warm.

Diana

Thanks - We are trying.
Old 29-12-2006, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I just want my Christmas Eve dinner before the kids have to fly east
to go back to work.

Huh? You didn't have Christmas Eve dinner? Well, heck, I think we all ought
to come out there and join you! (Right after it warms up to at least 60!)

Diana

Old 29-12-2006, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I'm into my 30th year living in the Adirondacks. This was the first
green Christmas I have seen here. One other Christmas there was barely
enough snow to cover the grass. This year you had to look to find little
patches of snow.
Normally by Christmas, there are snowmobiles zipping up and down the
lake. This year there were groups of Canada Geese floating by with not a
trace of ice. We have a little snow now and a little ice on part of the
lake.
One thing I have noticed over the years.... if the west is having a warm
spell, we are probably colder than normal. If the west is really cold,
it's nice and warm in the east. Some time next month, we'll probably be
buried and you will be all melted.

Steve ... who's only contact with a snow shovel this season was to carry
it from the garage and place it near the front door, just in case.

Old 29-12-2006, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:31:20 -0500 in Steve wrote:

Steve ... who's only contact with a snow shovel this season was to carry
it from the garage and place it near the front door, just in case.

I keep touching a snow shovel this winter. But that's because
I'm in the midst of moving and the wife won't let me go ahead and
take it to the new house yet. So it remains perpetually in the way
in the garage.

(Not that it matters much... 1" of the nasty white stuff completely
stopped traffic a couple years ago).
--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up

Old 29-12-2006, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Stay warm Sue, I often wonder about people that are snowed in, as far as
grocery shopping etc. Must be very organized & prepared as we go about every
other day!!!
Just remember though we get our water from the Rockies so let it snow,
let it snow!
--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Old 29-12-2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 07:24:23 -0800, "wendy7" wrote:

Stay warm Sue, I often wonder about people that are snowed in, as far as
grocery shopping etc. Must be very organized & prepared as we go about every
other day!!!
Just remember though we get our water from the Rockies so let it snow,
let it snow!

We too get water from Snow melt, -- But that is up top. Also the
reason our water is so clean and chem. free. Generally they measure
the snow in hundreds of inches. (Ski hill territory) They did get a
good share of this one.

We moved 6 plus this am. Just down the pike they got 18" so I guess
I will not complain. Now it is snowing again. And wave three is due
on Sunday.

The grocery stores -- The number of people last week who could not get
milk or eggs (used to every other day shopping) caused the grocery run
yesterday. The stores are bare. Even the bread, as one fellow told
my daughter, "the expensive stuff no one buys because it tastes like
cardboard is out." The news showed pix of the bare bread shelves.
Definitely siege mentality going into this one. What ever it is - if
it is "grocery" it will be eatable. Lots of weird stuff was out.
Canned vegetables showed the run. We are Costco buyers so stocks are
good. It is just family we are short on.

Thanks for the good thoughts.