Old 01-01-2007, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default pseudo bulbs

What do you do with the old pseudo-bulbs, as the plant moves outward and
develops new growth? As they grow turn I'm always tempted to remove them,
but I seem to find I cause more damage than help. I'm facing this with a
liparis grossa currently. Thanks once again for your help.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The answer to this depends on the condition of the pseudobulbs. You say they
turn yellow. Are they shrivelled? Do they still have leaves? A healthy bulb
doesn't necessarily need to be removed. In many cases, healthy pseudobulbs
can be developed into new plants. If they are shrivelled up or soft then
they should be excised and discarded.

You mentioned damage that occurs when you remove old pseudobulbs. Many times
the plant will tell you where it wants to be divided, pulling apart easily.
If that doesn't work, take care to cut between the old and new pbulbs
without damaging eyes on the new ones. If you are removing a pbulb that has
any sign of rot, be sure to cut away tissue until you see no more evidence
of disease. When you cut something from an orchid, you need to seal the
wound. My personal preference for this is a compound of Elmer's Glue and
cinnamon.

Hope this helps.

Diana

Old 01-01-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Let me amend my answer. If the old bulbs are healthy and have leaves and you
want to remove them, just pot them up as a division. If there are no leaves
but the bulbs are healthy, then you may need to treat them differently in
order to produce the new plant.

Diana

.. .

Old 02-01-2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

They are definitely dead. Will it harm the plant to leave them and let
"nature take it's course"? It's the rot angle I'm afraid of. Could it hurt
the rest of the plant, or is my cure worse than the problem.

Thanks to you for your response and everyone else here who has answered my
questions in the past.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

What Ray said! ;-)

Diana

Pseudo Acacia Dave United Kingdom 0 10-06-2007 01:29 PM
Dendrobium pseudo-glomeratum 1 P Max Orchid Photos 1 03-02-2007 08:06 PM
pseudo-bricks/stone for wall Heidi North Carolina 0 06-02-2004 03:47 PM
I have a questioon about creating a pseudo-bog. Marc Gardening 7 14-10-2003 02:42 AM
I have a questioon about creating a pseudo-bog. dkat Ponds 2 20-09-2003 06:23 AM