Old 03-01-2007, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Search for a name

Hi group !

I`ve just bought a beautiful, big Cattleya, with a barely readable tag,
that says something like "Tauqine" or "Tanqine" . It may also be
"Taugine" . Anyone came across a name like that ? Google doesn`t help.
The flower is huge with delicate lavender petals and dark violet-yellow
lip.

thanks in advance
Martha

Old 04-01-2007, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 3 Jan 2007 10:27:44 -0800, "Sandra" wrote:

Hi group !

I`ve just bought a beautiful, big Cattleya, with a barely readable tag,
that says something like "Tauqine" or "Tanqine" . It may also be
"Taugine" . Anyone came across a name like that ? Google doesn`t help.
The flower is huge with delicate lavender petals and dark violet-yellow
lip.

thanks in advance
Martha

Martha -
Ray's web site ( www.firstrays.com ) has a series of ideas on how to
make a tag more readable. Have you tried his tricks? Is there more
to the name?
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 04-01-2007, 09:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Had another look at the RHS orchid registration register.

Could it possibly be "Sophrolaeliocattleya Tai Gines"?

That is the closest I can find.

John

om...

Old 04-01-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi !

I am quite sure that it is an old cross and that it has Catt. trianae
somewhere in the background. Maybe BLC Tangerine ? But I can`t find a
photo of it.

thanks
Martha

Old 04-01-2007, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 4 Jan 2007 09:32:32 -0800, Sandra wrote:
Hi !

I am quite sure that it is an old cross and that it has Catt. trianae
somewhere in the background. Maybe BLC Tangerine ? But I can`t find a
photo of it.

This is not it?
http://www.jardins-interieurs.com/or...rianae.ph.html

Bob
Old 04-01-2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Sandra, there are a bunch of Cattleya group "Tangerines". How about Blc.
Tangerine, which is roughly 50% trianiae, 25% dowiana, and 12.5% each L.
xanthina and B. digbyana? I can't help with a photo of the cross.

Diana

Old 04-01-2007, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 4 Jan 2007 09:32:32 -0800, "Sandra" wrote:

Hi !

I am quite sure that it is an old cross and that it has Catt. trianae
somewhere in the background. Maybe BLC Tangerine ? But I can`t find a
photo of it.

thanks
Martha

In two generations there are 2,481 hybrids with C trianae.
Bc Trimabilis
Blc Trigula
Blc Trican
Blc Thais
C Trithena
Lc Tritura
Lc Triopas
Lc Triariel
Lc Tribeatrice
Lc Theagenes

I started to float thru them looking for Tau or Tan or Tr or ine or g,
p, q or y in the middle... As you can see it is not fruitful... or
maybe that should be too fruitful.

Why are you so sure it is C trianae in the hybrid? Why since that
meets you floral description could it not be C. trianae?