Old 15-01-2007, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default March of the Dinosaur

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 02:02:19 GMT in L_Bph.5024$Cn3.2935@trnddc02 J Fortuna wrote:
But why are _images_ of porn a problem for google groups, but textual porn
is not -- google groups includes textual porn newsgroups, such as
alt.sex.stories.moderated for example.

And why is google groups to be free of porn images, when users can encounter
them on the Web, and find porn images using google.

The second part is maybe a bit more understandable, since I assume that
groups.google archives are actually hosted by google, whereas the Web part
of google is just searching through sites hosted by others. But the first
part just doesn't make any sense to me, why sexually explicit images are
more of a liability than sexually explicit text.

That's a local jurisdiction issue, and a common carrier issue, and
a legacy issue.
1) In the US, folks stopped going after obscene writings in favor of
obscene pictures and devices and condoms before I was born.
I think most of europe went that route even earlier.

2) In the annals of stupidity the precedents in the US were such that
those that run a USENET server are not responsible for infringing or
illegal content if it remains encoded for transfer. However,
they are liable if they provide a service where that content is
automatically decoded and provided to their customers.
The exception was for groups where the group existed solely for infringing
content (The groups reposting ALS content being the ones I watched play out).
In this case the owner of the content that was infringed went after major
USENET providers through civil court and generally settled for deletion
of the infringing newsgroups.

3) google groups is legacy of dejanews. dejanews harkens from a time
when USENET had a better ratio of bytes devoted to discussion vs. bytes
devoted to binaries because of bandwidth limitations.
NSFnet had just upgraded its backbone from T1 to T3 (~1.5M to ~45M),
and there were still arguments of commercial traffic being carried
part the way on public backbones.

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up