Old 07-01-2007, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default March of the Dinosaur

As of 1/1/07 my ISP no longer provides access to a news server.
Obsolete I guess. I did a goggle search on news servers and they seem
to run 5 to 10 bucks a month. The "free" sites just seem to be
hooks into their pay service. I found Goggle Groups through the old
Dejanews, but I am not happy with the interface and no access to the
binary site. Anyone know of any better options?

I guess I would not feel so bad about paying the $100 a year fee if I
was not staring at $120 bill for AOS awards. But wait, AOS is offering
a special deal for me; give them $150 and I can have membership as
well. I checked out their forum site and found you are not allowed to
talk about the AOS. I tend to avoid clubs with such rules. Best thing
AOS could do is sell that building and move back into rented office
space in Boston. Not sure what I am going to do next season, but $60
is just plain too much.

Just saw Bob's post and I know I had better download the files and
start studying, but I don't want to, I really don't want to.

Thanks,

Pat

Old 07-01-2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I really wish and think one day perhaps Google will get over it's aversion
to binary newsgroups. Some of them are worth having around and it's not
like Google doesn't have the storage space or the 'retention' capability.

I am sure if you asked the powers that be at the AOS, they would tell you
that you are not allowed to talk about them on this newsgroup either. The
problem with a moderated newsgroup is that it ends up being only the
moderators who's opinions get expressed...no matter who is typing them. The
problem with a non-moderated newsgroup is that it has people like ME in it.

Look into giganews. They do have a monthly charge; I think it was $9.99. I
used giganews for about two months after my old ISP dropped USENET and
before I switched to new ISP that had it.

oups.com...

Old 08-01-2007, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Al,

I think it's the kiddie porn and warez groups that keeps Google from
carrying the binaries. Google's pockets are approaching infinite depth.
I would suspect carrying those groups is just too attractive a target
for the lawyers.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 08-01-2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I thought the same thing after I wrote that. It has to be fear of lawyers
for the porn that is sure to find it's way through their filters. One day
it will be possible to have a computer look at images and decide which
belong in a given newsgroup and which do not. ...and one day humans will
live on Mars.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 7 Jan 2007 08:13:02 -0800 in .com Pat Brennan wrote:
As of 1/1/07 my ISP no longer provides access to a news server.
Obsolete I guess. I did a goggle search on news servers and they seem
to run 5 to 10 bucks a month. The "free" sites just seem to be
hooks into their pay service. I found Goggle Groups through the old
Dejanews, but I am not happy with the interface and no access to the
binary site. Anyone know of any better options?

You might want to look at databasix.com.
One of the guys there, Gary Burnore, was providing free access to their
USENET feed a few years ago.
Warning, Gary is a bit of a net.k00k, and attracts a following of other
net.k00ks.

You can also access watered down USENET via google groups.

I've been considering providing unix shell accounts for a few folks,
but I'm in the midst of moving the wife and step kids. I swear
a move of 5 miles is a bigger PITA than a move from 40 miles way...
--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
Old 09-01-2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

And what a mistake it is to move even across the street without getting a
truck. My folks did that back in '69. What a lot of work.

Bob

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On 09 Jan 2007 03:25:48 GMT,
wrote:
Clip

but I'm in the midst of moving the wife and step kids. I swear
a move of 5 miles is a bigger PITA than a move from 40 miles way...
Chris Dukes

Well Chris if it were a long distance everything would have to be
packed and 'professionally moved', since it is just across town, you
can jut take stuff in the car......

Always much more work. You should have seen it when our neighbors
moved across the street. Too close to even use the car.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Old 10-01-2007, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Not long after I got married, we moved about two blocks up the street, near
the Ga Tech campus.

My new bride was at work, so a few buddies and I moved our stuff out of the
old place into the new one - including a single-piece, king-size waterbed
frame nailed together from scraps of lumber. You should have seen us - 6
guys carrying a giant "wood block" up the middle of the street.

Oh yeah, then we moved a friend from his place in Decatur (about 8 miles
away) to our old abode.

Then we moved somebody else from his place in College Park - down near the
airport - to the other guy's place in Decatur.

All in one day.

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
. ..
And what a mistake it is to move even across the street without getting a
truck. My folks did that back in '69. What a lot of work.

Bob

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On 09 Jan 2007 03:25:48 GMT,
Clip

Old 10-01-2007, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 01:17:21 GMT, "Ray B"
wrote:

Not long after I got married, we moved about two blocks up the street, near
the Ga Tech campus.

My new bride was at work, so a few buddies and I moved our stuff out of the
old place into the new one - including a single-piece, king-size waterbed
frame nailed together from scraps of lumber. You should have seen us - 6
guys carrying a giant "wood block" up the middle of the street.

Oh yeah, then we moved a friend from his place in Decatur (about 8 miles
away) to our old abode.

Then we moved somebody else from his place in College Park - down near the
airport - to the other guy's place in Decatur.

All in one day.

And who bought the Beer and Pizza?

Old 12-01-2007, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

But why are _images_ of porn a problem for google groups, but textual porn
is not -- google groups includes textual porn newsgroups, such as
alt.sex.stories.moderated for example.

And why is google groups to be free of porn images, when users can encounter
them on the Web, and find porn images using google.

The second part is maybe a bit more understandable, since I assume that
groups.google archives are actually hosted by google, whereas the Web part
of google is just searching through sites hosted by others. But the first
part just doesn't make any sense to me, why sexually explicit images are
more of a liability than sexually explicit text.

Joanna

Old 12-01-2007, 06:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Joanna,

It's not the adult sexual images they are concerned about. It's the child
pornography. And outside of images, it's all of the pirated software groups
(warez groups in the vernacular) that are also a huge liability.

What I don't get is that anyone can post any image they want in any
unmoderated newsgroup - so people could take over an unused or obscure group
and exchange warez or kiddie porn in that group and not use the alt.*
groups.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 15-01-2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:47:09 -0800 in Eric Hunt wrote:
Joanna,

It's not the adult sexual images they are concerned about. It's the child
pornography. And outside of images, it's all of the pirated software groups
(warez groups in the vernacular) that are also a huge liability.

What I don't get is that anyone can post any image they want in any
unmoderated newsgroup - so people could take over an unused or obscure group
and exchange warez or kiddie porn in that group and not use the alt.*
groups.

Most news server software includes filters to drop binaries sent to
non-binaries newsgroups (I used cleanfeed back when I ran some
newsservers for IBM). This issue cropped up and was filtered
shortly after the green card SPAM to USENET.

That could be circumvented by *******izing the header for the binary
and tweaking the decoder software.
Or the use of a new binary to 7bit ascii encoding software could
be used (I suspect yenc went through just fine for a few weeks).

However, that requires a level of technical prowess that seems to
be lacking. An AFS admin at a previous employer was also into
kiddie porn and used disk space on the AFS servers as a staging area
for his porn. He was busted because he was causing a spike in the amount
of data backed up from his home directory each night.
So think about it, if the admin of a fileserver can't even be arsed to
setup a staging area that isn't backed up, or disperse the crap to
the point where it shows up as an insignificant blip in usage,
a less technical individual would screw up even more spectactularly...