Old 07-01-2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default March of the Dinosaur

As of 1/1/07 my ISP no longer provides access to a news server.
Obsolete I guess. I did a goggle search on news servers and they seem
to run 5 to 10 bucks a month. The "free" sites just seem to be
hooks into their pay service. I found Goggle Groups through the old
Dejanews, but I am not happy with the interface and no access to the
binary site. Anyone know of any better options?

I guess I would not feel so bad about paying the $100 a year fee if I
was not staring at $120 bill for AOS awards. But wait, AOS is offering
a special deal for me; give them $150 and I can have membership as
well. I checked out their forum site and found you are not allowed to
talk about the AOS. I tend to avoid clubs with such rules. Best thing
AOS could do is sell that building and move back into rented office
space in Boston. Not sure what I am going to do next season, but $60
is just plain too much.

Just saw Bob's post and I know I had better download the files and
start studying, but I don't want to, I really don't want to.

Thanks,

Pat

Old 07-01-2007, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Download Thunderbird, which is a news reader from (argh) the Mozilla
people. I use it on my Mac ( becasue Safari doesn't have a news feed on
their browser either.)

Its free.

Reka will be along in a second with a link, or google it.

K Barrett

oups.com...

Old 07-01-2007, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Nevermind.

I just realized what you said. Your ISP won't carry usenet anymore, so how
can you get it.

Google groups is the only way I can think of, and (like you say) its pretty
poor. But its free.

K Barrett

. ..

Old 07-01-2007, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

You know you can access Google Groups via the Google homepage, click on
"more" and it should take you to
http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en...e=UTF-8&tab=wg

K Barrett

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Nevermind.

I just realized what you said. Your ISP won't carry usenet anymore, so how
can you get it.

Google groups is the only way I can think of, and (like you say) its
pretty poor. But its free.

K Barrett

. ..

Old 07-01-2007, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Also try installing "free.yottanews.com" which is a very comprehensive free
Usenet provider. Sometimes it takes a while to get on due to traffic (after
all it is free and you get what you pay for ;-)) but it does carry all
postings to ABPO and RGO. Just tried it on my computer and posts are
current.

~John

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
You know you can access Google Groups via the Google homepage, click on
"more" and it should take you to
http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en...e=UTF-8&tab=wg

K Barrett

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Nevermind.

I just realized what you said. Your ISP won't carry usenet anymore, so
how can you get it.

Google groups is the only way I can think of, and (like you say) its
pretty poor. But its free.

K Barrett

. ..

Old 07-01-2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

This is what 3 folks at the murder mystery news group use
http://news.individual.net/

About $12/year.

K Barrett

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Also try installing "free.yottanews.com" which is a very comprehensive
free Usenet provider. Sometimes it takes a while to get on due to traffic
(after all it is free and you get what you pay for ;-)) but it does carry
all postings to ABPO and RGO. Just tried it on my computer and posts are
current.

~John

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
You know you can access Google Groups via the Google homepage, click on
"more" and it should take you to
http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en...e=UTF-8&tab=wg

K Barrett

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Nevermind.

I just realized what you said. Your ISP won't carry usenet anymore, so
how can you get it.

Google groups is the only way I can think of, and (like you say) its
pretty poor. But its free.

K Barrett

. ..

Old 07-01-2007, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 14:24:33 -0800, K Barrett wrote:
This is what 3 folks at the murder mystery news group use
http://news.individual.net/

About $12/year.

As do I, but you don't get APBO for $12.

Bob
Old 07-01-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

There's a murder mystery ng? Hmm!

Diana

Old 08-01-2007, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Robert Lorenzini wrote:

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 14:24:33 -0800, K Barrett wrote:

This is what 3 folks at the murder mystery news group use
http://news.individual.net/

About $12/year.

As do I, but you don't get APBO for $12.

Bob

Yeah, it says right on the opening page "no binaries".
I've been lucky so far. Years ago Adelphia switched to offering
newsgroups through Giganews at no extra charge. Adelphia is gone,
divided up by others. Our area was taken over by Time Warner, the people
who offer Road Runner. I don't know why, and I don't know how long it
will last, but my Adelphia address is still what I use and the
newsgroups still work the same. I assume some day, I will be told that
my Adelphia address is changing to a RR address. When that day comes,
will I still get access to the same newsgroups including ABPO?
I guess I'll just ask here and now. Somebody here must have been with
Time Warner for a while and have their Road runner mail address and
access to newsgroups. How is their service? Do you get ABPO?

Steve
Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Brennan
As of 1/1/07 my ISP no longer provides access to a news server.
Pat
Pat,

Join http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk. It's free.
Go to Gardening Discussions Orchids

And you'll find us all there ;-)

In fact, that's how I read your mail and replies.
No, you won't get ABPO, but if you want pictures, join http://www.orchidboard.com

It is very good, and also free.

Weng

Old 08-01-2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

But they don't talk about mysteries. They talk about everything else *but*
mysteries. Sure they are a resource for oddball information like this, but
if you want to discuss mysteries you are SOL.

.. .

Old 08-01-2007, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Pat,

Giganews - it's $8/month auto-debited from my debit card - I never see it or
have to think about it and it keeps me from going crazy over missed posts on
ABPO.

http://www.giganews.com

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 08-01-2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:30:08 +0000, Weng
wrote:

Pat Brennan Wrote:
As of 1/1/07 my ISP no longer provides access to a news server.
Pat

Pat,

Join http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk. It's free.
Go to Gardening Discussions Orchids

And you'll find us all there ;-)

For those that Don't KNOW this is the group that is a Mirror of this
newsgroup. They used to solicited members/readers from us -- now they
have given up and just mirror this group.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 08-01-2007, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 08:32:07 -0800, "Eric Hunt"
wrote:

Pat,

Giganews - it's $8/month auto-debited from my debit card - I never see it or
have to think about it and it keeps me from going crazy over missed posts on
ABPO.

http://www.giganews.com

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Ditto -- It is the easiest and least worry some solution.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks to everyone for new server ideas.

About the award bills, my mistake, I paid bills yesterday and awards
were $40 not $60. I do not know why I thought the price had been
raised to $60. I can live with $40 and I am sure the price will go
down when AOS moves into the digital age; another topic for another
day.

Proud owner of a 76 point Bllra Tahoma Glacier 'Green'. Absurd. Now
if everyone in Hawaii growing them would give me a buck I'd . . .

Pat