Old 12-01-2007, 06:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Moral: be careful!

Ceramic Heaters Blamed For Fire That Destroyed Home

TITUSVILLE, Fla. -- Eyewitness News has new details about a fire that
destroyed a three-story home in Titusville. The woman who lived there
had ceramic heaters and those heaters somehow started the fire. She used
the special heaters to protect her orchids.

An insurance adjuster was at the scene surveying the damage to the
$670,000, waterfront home. The inside has partially collapsed and the
back is virtually gone.

Firefighters helped the Ward family move some of their belongings out of
their home to keep the antiques and valuables from getting any more
damaged inside the charred remains of what was a picturesque home.

Fire investigators believe the blaze started with an electrical fire.
Authorities said it appears heat lamps used to keep orchids warm in the
cool temperatures were at the root of the fire.

The home is owned by Laura Ward, a community activist who helped lead
the battle against developers to protect the waterfront her home sits on
from an influx of developers looking to build high-rise condominium
complexes.

Coincidentally, when Ward’s home caught fire, she was at the fire
department, where the city was holding its council meeting and she was
preparing to address city leaders about ongoing issues. When word spread
about the fire, the meeting was interrupted and she raced home.

Firefighters said the inside of the home was destroyed. Ward told
friends the fire not only ruined her home, but she lost valuable
antiques and family heirlooms.

By the time firefighters arrived, there were flames shooting through the
second and third story of the home. They said there was little they
could do with strong winds coming off the Indian River.

Fortunately, no one was injured.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Oops! People need to be careful about such stuff. When we bought a generator
in preparation for any further hurricanes we also purchased carbon monoxide
detectors, even though we'd never leave the generator in a place where fumes
could enter the house.

Diana

Old 13-01-2007, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Did you notice that at the beginning of the article, the cause of the
fire was a ceramic heater but later it was a heat lamp? I can't picture
them being the same thing. They also call it an electrical fire, which
would be a little different than a surface being over heated by a heat
lamp, or what ever. I wonder what really happened?

Steve

Old 13-01-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 00:05:47 -0500 in Steve wrote:

Did you notice that at the beginning of the article, the cause of the
fire was a ceramic heater but later it was a heat lamp? I can't picture
them being the same thing. They also call it an electrical fire, which
would be a little different than a surface being over heated by a heat
lamp, or what ever. I wonder what really happened?

A house burned and fire fighters found such things around the start source.
And a hack journalist continues the trend to completely confuse issues.

Steve

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
Old 13-01-2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve wrote:
Did you notice that at the beginning of the article, the cause of the
fire was a ceramic heater but later it was a heat lamp? I can't picture
them being the same thing. They also call it an electrical fire, which
would be a little different than a surface being over heated by a heat
lamp, or what ever. I wonder what really happened?

Steve

Probably the actual "why" won't be reported. No mention regarding the
age of the house.

T. & I have renovated some houses and found some dangerous conditions
with wiring (IMHO). Even new houses have "issues" that make us cringe.
Our time in the military really drove home the fact that our equipment
was acquired from the lowest bidder. Minimum acceptable standards are
the norm and they are still minimal.

We've found extension cords used as wiring inside wall cavities, rodent
nests, termite and ant nests, aluminum mixed with copper, grounded
outlets on old 2 wire (no ground)improper splices (outside of a
junction box or without proper sized wire nuts), circuit breakers or
fuses replaced that exceed the recommended rating of the wiring, or the
old penny behind the fuse.

With all the codes in place, if the room had one 15 amp circuit
(standard for most bedrooms), it is enough to safely power one 1500
watt space heater. Add an undersized extension cord, another space
heater and brighter bulbs, extra humidity and water, then change or
disable the circuit breaker because it trips, you've got a recipe for
disaster.

Nancy

Old 13-01-2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I did indeed notice the discrepancies. However, the writers in some of our
local papers (I don't live near where the fire was, but it's just as bad
here) are abysmal, so I don't find it odd. Most of them couldn't work on a
college paper, IMO.

Diana

Old 13-01-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Huh. When I was in the real estate business we had to be extremely careful
when previewing any house, but especially old ones. Some of the stuff people
did with electrical systems!

My favorites were the houses whose owners had installed new 100 or even 200
amp breaker panels and thought that meant the electrical system had been
upgraded. Never mind the knob and tube wiring, LOL!

Diana