Old 18-01-2007, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default West Coast Cold

Yes Kathy, A pic of us in a spa with icicles everywhere & frozen nosehairs. (((LOL)))

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

K Barrett wrote:
Wendy, maybe we should enter?
http://www.scottsdalecvb.com/static/...?contentID=764

"wendy7" wrote in message
This was the same for us Gary here in S.Calif., in fact have had an
unusual
warm winter until it hit us with all it's glory last week.
We have had record breaking lows day & night.
All I know is that it is bloody cold & my joints can't take it!
--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

V_coerulea wrote:
Talk about crazy, we were 76 degrees day before yesterday, 63
overnight. Yesterday got up to 65, 35 overnight. Todays high was 48
and we have winter storm warnings for overnight. Nothing like they
got in the middle of the country. What made it worse was we were in
the 70's (which is well above normal) for over 2 weeks and above
normal since mid Dec so it's a real shock. The heater's going to do
overtime tonight and tomorrow. Gary in SC

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been watching the weather in Salinas, Ca. and it has not
been pretty. Does anyone know what Matsui uses for heat. Their
website has some nice overhead views, I do not see smokestacks. I am also
wondering if SBOE is set up for the weather they have
had the past few nights.

Crazy weather, we were in the 50's some of those nights.

Pat

Old 19-01-2007, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Susan Erickson wrote:

Checked my orchids today. The first time in a week. Everything has
been on auto pilot. My area did not lose power. A little cool, but
best I could do. But, there is still a lot of rural MO that has gotten
hit harder. Thank you for thinking of us.

Nancy

And how are the MO people doing? I know you have a large section
still without power. Do we need some re-populating efforts scheduled
for May?
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Old 20-01-2007, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wendy7 wrote:
Thanks for this Tom, interesting reading. The ground is 5 degrees warmer if watered???

It's not really warmer. With outdoor gardening (in the ground, not pots)
the soil is still pretty warm when those first fall frosts occur. Wet
soil does a much better job at conducting some of that warmth to the
surface where it can make a few degrees difference to the plants growing
there.
The article was about protecting a garden from early frosts and quite a
bit of it doesn't apply to orchids in a greenhouse.

Steve