Old 17-01-2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default West Coast Cold

I have been watching the weather in Salinas, Ca. and it has not been
pretty. Does anyone know what Matsui uses for heat. Their website has
some nice overhead views, I do not see smokestacks. I am also
wondering if SBOE is set up for the weather they have had the past few
nights.

Crazy weather, we were in the 50's some of those nights.

Pat

Old 17-01-2007, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have been dealing (or not dealing) with the uncommon cold. As a strategy
I didn't water for many weeks, (Last time was mid October IIRC). I'm not
sure if that was the right thing to do or not, but that's what I did. The
GH is mostly unheated. I do have a heater, and it kicks on to keep the GH
at a min of 52 (or at least that's what the min/max themoneter says the min
has been the last few days.)

I didn't water becasue in the back of my mind I recalled a botany prof
talking about how in a freeze if a cell is full of water and freezes, the
ice crystals will cut the cell membrane, lysing the cell when it defrosts.
so I've been keeping the cells empty... *G*.

Sure I could turn on the heat, but the boyfriend yells too much so I'd
rather not face that argument yet again, so its adapt or die. Touch wood,
so far the catts are OK, Only a few leaves have been lost, and I'll bet the
cold dry rest will make the dendrobiums bloom great next year.

Of course I broke down and watered yesterday, and it rained last night and
this morning every puddle outside was frozen... I haven't even thought about
going into the GH....

Its odd. During the day the swamp cooler kicks on becasue its bright and
sunny, at night it freezes. Since I didn't know which way to jump I opted
for not watering.

We'll see what happens next year (No soup for you!)

As to Mitsui et al, I'll bet they have heaters. Salinas isn't the banana
belt that SB is. SBOE has both outdoor shaded areas and true GHs with
heaters so they are probably OK too.

K Barrett

ups.com...

Old 17-01-2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Talk about crazy, we were 76 degrees day before yesterday, 63 overnight.
Yesterday got up to 65, 35 overnight. Todays high was 48 and we have winter
storm warnings for overnight. Nothing like they got in the middle of the
country. What made it worse was we were in the 70's (which is well above
normal) for over 2 weeks and above normal since mid Dec so it's a real
shock. The heater's going to do overtime tonight and tomorrow.
Gary in SC

Old 17-01-2007, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

ALL living cells ALWAYS contain water.

Granted, it's not pure water, so the dissolved chemicals are likely to
provide some freezing-point depression, and I suppose the solute
concentration is lower in a freshly-watered plant than in one that's
parched, but is it enough to make a significant difference in freeze
tolerance?

. ..

Old 18-01-2007, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:48:54 -0800, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Hey, Kath, it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. My min/max
has been recording upper 20s outdoors for the last few nights, but my cheapy
heater has kept the GH in the low 50s at night, and it runs into the 70s
during the day. I've been watering same as always - every 10-14 days in
Winter - and everything looks happy, including the dendrobes.
Here's a URL at Cornell that offers some thoughts about frost and watering:
http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/weather/frost.pdf

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 18-01-2007, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Sounds like we are about the same with our temps (min/max). We'll see who
has more photos for APBO in spring, LOL!

Thanks for the link, I passed it on to the newsletter editor. (Copyright?
What means this word "copyright"?)

.com...

Old 18-01-2007, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kathy,

I was always taught to pull back on water when things were cold to prevent
rot from setting in quickly, rather than as a frost protectant. Cold + wet
equals prime growth conditions for rot fungi and bacteria.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

. ..

Old 18-01-2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:45:26 -0500, "V_coerulea"
wrote:

Talk about crazy,

How far South does this threaten. Our weather man usually shows us
the patterns as far down the coast as the Gulf of CA. Yesterday they
showed photos of snow in Malibu. Then he was on and so worried about
another Friday snow (5th week in a row)G that he never got to
southern CA.

Wendy grows a lot outdoors - is it that far south?

And how are the MO people doing? I know you have a large section
still without power. Do we need some re-populating efforts scheduled
for May?
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 18-01-2007, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks for this Tom, interesting reading. The ground is 5 degrees warmer if watered???

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Old 18-01-2007, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

This was the same for us Gary here in S.Calif., in fact have had an unusual
warm winter until it hit us with all it's glory last week.
We have had record breaking lows day & night.
All I know is that it is bloody cold & my joints can't take it!

Old 18-01-2007, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

That was my thinking (and my experience) too. The GH gets cold and clammy
in these wintery days. I lost a bunch of phals in those conditions so I
vowed not to have cold clammy conditions again. I figure they are
acclimated to their present conditions, and have only lost a few leaves from
dring out. But no rots.

The true test will be the bloom next season. I suspect Tom will have plenty
and I'll have few, LOL!

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Kathy,

I was always taught to pull back on water when things were cold to prevent
rot from setting in quickly, rather than as a frost protectant. Cold + wet
equals prime growth conditions for rot fungi and bacteria.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

. ..

Old 18-01-2007, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

And this is the first time that I can recall of coastal areas being hit for
as long a duartion as we have been. Sure the central valley will get real
frosts. But a week of frost in our areas? Weird. Especially Malibu with
snow! Ack!

Old 18-01-2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hhhhhi Ssssue, It's bbbbbloody ccccold.
I have been holding thumbs with my fingers crossed & they are locked in!!
Malibu is about 65 miles north of us but I missed the news re the snow on the
ground there.
So far I have been lucky, we are on a south facing hillside slope, not very steep,
the coast is about 8 miles away also to the south.
There is a weather station at the elementry school down the hill from us, about
three blocks away & their temp is 10 degrees cooler than ours? (Geographical situ)?
I too keep to my same watering regimen less often in winter.
So far I haven't seen anything that resembles frostbite but over the years, I
have lost some regular garden plants. (Touch wood)
I heard the weatherman say that we will be in the 70's next week.
Bring it on.