Old 25-01-2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default The battle of the scale (not the diet kind)

Thanks for that Bob, I don't research much.
Will check for mites.

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Bob Walsh wrote:
Wendy,

You probably don't need to try the Bayer product. Imidacloprid is the
chemical that kills the bugs in both Mavrik and the Bayer Shrub &
Brush. Mavrik is available in a far more concentated product so it
costs more but goes much further.

From what I have read do not rely on it to kill mites. Plants treated
with Imidacloprid may even attract them. Maybe that's why I have (or
had if the soap worked) them.

Bob

"wendy7" wrote in message
Thanks for this info Pat & Gene, yes I have seen plenty of the
dreaded Boisduval!
I had colour break & mutant looking flowers when I used a systemic
call Cygon
a number of years ago. (No longer available)
Have used Ortho WP along with Neem. Have not tried the Bayer
product? I have been using Enstar II along with Mavrik & so far
the best results for me. I think the Mavrik is a topical treatment
but the two are mixed together.
I mark & tag plants specially treated & document g/h sprays etc.

Now I am one that always experiments & have found that you have
to keep on
a strict regimen forever or the buggers come back.
I have unpotted a scale infested plant, cleaned every bit of potting
mix, trimmed old roots etc., sprayed any visible bugs with alcohol,
then left this
plant soaking in the Enstar/Mavrik solution over night & the next day
there
were little white babies trying to escape. Unbelievable, the float &
creep to
the sides of the bowl!!!
So my point being they are never gone.
Happy debugging,
--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Pat Brennan wrote:
Hi Gene,

You might find this site helpful.

http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/i...ine/Scale.html

Based on what is says, the timing seems right for the October
outbreak to be from eggs not killed. Not much will kill a bug in
all the life cycles.

I do not think you can assume you will get a years coverage from a
single spraying. The label you are reading was written for a
seasonal plant with seasonal bugs. Based on what I have seen
assume 4 to 6 weeks.

I have used this chemical to fight fungus gnats. I talked with the
rep and he recommend monthly sprayings. The label tells you to
limit sprayings to 2 per growth cycle (I am doing this from memory
so this might not be exactly right). I was afraid that too much of
a good thing would lead to color breaks, so I never followed his
advice and followed the label limits. With three drenches you hit
them pretty hard; I am interested to know much color breaking you
see in your Phals this winter. Aug is a pretty safe month to be
hitting Phals with systemics so there is a good chance you will not
see any. Pat

Old 26-01-2007, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Bob Walsh wrote:
Wendy,

You probably don't need to try the Bayer product. Imidacloprid is the
chemical that kills the bugs in both Mavrik and the Bayer Shrub & Brush.
Mavrik is available in a far more concentated product so it costs more but
goes much further.

From what I have read do not rely on it to kill mites. Plants treated with
Imidacloprid may even attract them.

Yes, that's a common side effect. I believe it's even listed in the fact
sheets for some of the products containing the chemical. They suggest
the use of a miticide as an alternating treatment.
Old 26-01-2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default The battle of the scale (not the diet kind)Need name plz

I was checking my poison cabinet & noticed that I will soon be out of Mavrik.
So could someone tell me what to look for in the Bayer product section.
As I recall the Mavrik & Enstar II cost me over $100 so if the Bayer is cheaper
then that would be great.
--

Bob Walsh wrote:
Wendy,

You probably don't need to try the Bayer product. Imidacloprid is the
chemical that kills the bugs in both Mavrik and the Bayer Shrub &
Brush. Mavrik is available in a far more concentated product so it
costs more but goes much further.

From what I have read do not rely on it to kill mites. Plants treated

Old 26-01-2007, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Wendy,

I forget where you live. I find this at Lowes or Home Depot in the garden
section. The Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub Insect Control comes in a blue
quart bottle for about $18.00. They also make a rose spray in the same line
that is of lesser concentration but I used the tree and shrub stuff.

A 32 oz bottle will make 32 gallons of mix at one oz to the gallon.

Gene

Bob Walsh wrote:
Wendy,

You probably don't need to try the Bayer product. Imidacloprid is the
chemical that kills the bugs in both Mavrik and the Bayer Shrub &
Brush. Mavrik is available in a far more concentated product so it
costs more but goes much further.

From what I have read do not rely on it to kill mites. Plants treated

Old 26-01-2007, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks Gene, live & grow zone 9/10, S.Calif.

--

Bob Walsh wrote:
Wendy,

You probably don't need to try the Bayer product. Imidacloprid is
the chemical that kills the bugs in both Mavrik and the Bayer Shrub
& Brush. Mavrik is available in a far more concentated product so it
costs more but goes much further.

From what I have read do not rely on it to kill mites. Plants
treated with Imidacloprid may even attract them. Maybe that's why I

Old 26-01-2007, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

OK...so Home Depot and Lowes are there.

Sitting in my living room in northern Virginia you forget sometimes that
people on this newgroup could be anywhere in the world.

Bob Walsh wrote:
Wendy,

You probably don't need to try the Bayer product. Imidacloprid is
the chemical that kills the bugs in both Mavrik and the Bayer Shrub
& Brush. Mavrik is available in a far more concentated product so it
costs more but goes much further.

From what I have read do not rely on it to kill mites. Plants

Old 27-01-2007, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yes Thanks

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email invalid

Old 28-01-2007, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Fog Effects
When you place dry ice into some warm or hot water, clouds of white
fog are created. This white fog is not the CO2 gas, but rather it is
condensed water vapor, mixed in with the invisible CO2. The extreme
cold causes the water vapor to condense into clouds. The fog is heavy,
being carried by the CO2, and will settle to the bottom of a
container, and can be poured. You can produce enough ground - hugging
fog to fill a medium sized room with a pound or so of dry ice. Do not
allow anyone to lay down in this fog, or allow babies or pets into it,
as CO2 gas does not support life. " Quoted from the web........

If (when) I had/have a green house I would/will seal the bottom 6 foot
or so as best I could and put a tub of water in the center and throw
one pound chunks of dry ice in it till the fog was 6 foot deep and
keep at it for a while. Seems a cheap way to kill everything but
plants in a greenhouse. Be sure to tie the grand kids to a bedstead
during the "kill-a-thon" ;-))
Joe T

On Jan 26, 9:59?pm, "wendy7" wrote:
Yes Thanks