Old 26-01-2007, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default CO2 and scale insects experiment

I thought some people might be interested. I had an old CO2 tank with a
regulator and needle valve left over from my aquarium days. I put a
couple of potted phals in a large kitchen trash bag and used a twist-tie
to seal the neck of the bag around the 1/2" hose from the tank. I
regulated the flow to be just enough to keep the bag inflated. After 4
hours I removed the plants. The visible scale insects seemed to be quite
dead, which I judged by the fact that they were no longer firmly
attached to the leaf.

Have I finally found a way to win this battle? I sure hope so.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 28-01-2007, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Lack of O2 should kill eggs also, don't know how long it would take. I
have read of this treatment all over the forums, some use washtubs,
fish bowls, etc. Open top containers would need a still place. I plan
to try it soon, in a washtub.
Joe T

On Jan 26, 10:10?am, "K Barrett" wrote:
For the adults maybe, one never knows about the eggs.

K Barrett

"Peter A" wrote in ...

I thought some people might be interested. I had an old CO2 tank with a
regulator and needle valve left over from my aquarium days. I put a
couple of potted phals in a large kitchen trash bag and used a twist-tie
to seal the neck of the bag around the 1/2" hose from the tank. I
regulated the flow to be just enough to keep the bag inflated. After 4
hours I removed the plants. The visible scale insects seemed to be quite
dead, which I judged by the fact that they were no longer firmly
attached to the leaf.

Have I finally found a way to win this battle? I sure hope so.

--
Peter Aitken- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old 30-01-2007, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 28 Jan 2007 08:50:25 -0800 in .com jtill wrote:
Lack of O2 should kill eggs also, don't know how long it would take. I
have read of this treatment all over the forums, some use washtubs,
fish bowls, etc. Open top containers would need a still place. I plan
to try it soon, in a washtub.

I think I dug up a study on this (targetted pests were
spider mites, thrips, and fungus gnats) the first time around.
As my ever failing memory serves, it took 12 hours to get rid of
mites and most thrips, 24 hours to kill mite eggs, fungus gnats
were oblivious to the attempts to kill them..
All kinds of dire warnings went out about filling the entire greenhouse
:-).

N2 atmosphere did more plant damage than CO2 atmosphere, and they went
the route of gas bottles and sensors.
--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
Old 30-01-2007, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Chris, here is a site that gives the kill time for CO2.

http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/Ipm/c...001/I_SUMA.pdf

It ruined my plans to us CO2 when moving my plants outside this
spring. This site and others give kill time in DAYS, like 7 to 14, for
two spotted mites! Well, back to the drawing board for me. ;-))
Joe T

Old 31-01-2007, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 30 Jan 2007 14:44:22 -0800 in .com jtill wrote:
Chris, here is a site that gives the kill time for CO2.

http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/Ipm/c...001/I_SUMA.pdf

It ruined my plans to us CO2 when moving my plants outside this
spring. This site and others give kill time in DAYS, like 7 to 14, for
two spotted mites! Well, back to the drawing board for me. ;-))

Drawing board having things like 1/8" sheets of acetate, welders tank of
CO2, and sufficient ventilation so you don't kill yourself?
Old 31-01-2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

OK, I guess I don't understand this stuff at all anymore. If 1 atmosphereic
pressure = 101.325kPa, then what does it matter if you introduce CO2 at 7kPa
or 50kPa? What's the kPa of CO2 in ambient air anyway?

K Barrett
wrote in message
g...
On 30 Jan 2007 14:44:22 -0800 in
.com jtill

Old 31-01-2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:14:57 -0800 in K Barrett wrote:
OK, I guess I don't understand this stuff at all anymore. If 1 atmosphereic
pressure = 101.325kPa, then what does it matter if you introduce CO2 at 7kPa
or 50kPa? What's the kPa of CO2 in ambient air anyway?

Partial pressure.
As an atmosphere is a mixture of gases, this is the pressure if all gasses
except the one in question were removed from a given volume.

I hate citing wikipedia but...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_pressure
Old 01-02-2007, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In article .com,
says...
Chris, here is a site that gives the kill time for CO2.

http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/Ipm/c...001/I_SUMA.pdf

It ruined my plans to us CO2 when moving my plants outside this
spring. This site and others give kill time in DAYS, like 7 to 14, for
two spotted mites! Well, back to the drawing board for me. ;-))
Joe T

I notice that many of the tests cited in that document were done at cold
temperatures where the insect's oxygen consumption will be minimal. At
warmer temps the kill times will be less. For example, for a certain
kind of thrip at 0 decrees C the 100% kill time is 8 days but at 24 it
is 1 day.

--
Peter Aitken