Old 28-01-2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Help!

Hi there!

I bought an orchid last spring. I don't know what kind it is but it's
pretty hearty. Prob is, there is a whole second plant starting to grow
near the top of one stem of the plant. Is there anyway to separate
this from the original plant and root it?

Sorry to sound so ignorant but that's precisely what I am.

Would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

chompie

Old 28-01-2007, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi Chompie and welcome!
I read some of your posts from 2003, about Franken, you write like you
have a grip so to speak.
If your plant is "hearty" and growing just let it grow, the new
plantlet will soon develop roots that dangle in the air. Then, with a
sharp knife, some folk keep dull knives?, cut it off close to the new
roots, set it aside for several days till the cut dries off, (powder
the fresh cut with cinnammon) (swipe it from the kitchen), then pot it
into some orchid mix from LOWE'S, Home Depot or some such place.
Remember, small pot for small plants then treat just like the big
plant since you seem to be doing OK with it.
By the way, give us a description of your plant...thick or thin roots,
thick or thin leaves, two leaves per stem or many...stuff like that.
Joe T

Old 29-01-2007, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Joe, I would place my bet on the plant in question being a Dendrobium
since it seems to have formed a keiki.
Chompie, Follow Joe T's advice. I might add that if you are patient, and
let the new plant grow bigger, you should increase your chances of it
growing up to be a new plant.
Did you notice that Joe T put the word "hearty" in quotes? A good bowl
of home made soup can be hearty but plants are hardy (or not).

Steve

Old 29-01-2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thank you! I guess those green things shooting out are roots then, eh?
Excellent! I didn't know what they were. So I guess I'm almost ready
to make the cut away from my HARDY plant. (Oops and me and English
major and all....) Thanks! I definitely know more about Al than about
orchids, Joe!

On Jan 28, 4:59 pm, "jtill" wrote:
[...]

chompie- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old 29-01-2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thank you, Steve! I will give it a bit more time. No rush. I just
didn't want it to damage the mother (Is that the right term?) plant.
Very exciting for me to have some success with a plant! Wahoo!

Old 29-01-2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Keep us posted!
Joe T

On Jan 28, 4:59 pm, "jtill" wrote:

[...]

chompie- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old 02-02-2007, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

OK, I stand corrected. You have a Phalaenopsis. They can make keikis
too. Some of the smaller flowered ones do it quite often. The advice
stays the same though. Some people leave them on the mother plant for so
long that they bloom while still attached.

Steve

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM