Old 01-02-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Magnifying glass

I have a nice 4x glass that I use regularly. Today I was looking at some
orchid seed that are spread all over my greenhouse (pod exploded a couple of
weeks ago) and wanted something stronger.

Does anyone have a good quality high powered glass they would recommend?

Thanks,
Gene

Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Jan 31, 7:44 pm, "Gene Schurg"
wrote:
I have a nice 4x glass that I use regularly. Today I was looking at some
orchid seed that are spread all over my greenhouse (pod exploded a couple of
weeks ago) and wanted something stronger.

Does anyone have a good quality high powered glass they would recommend?

10x is about the highest useful magnification. Your best choices
there are the Hastings triplet and the Coddington designs. I have
both. There isn't that much practical difference.

Beyond 10X the field of view is very small and depth of field
practically nil. Handheld 20X lenses are very difficult to hold
steady.

Opticsplanet.com has a large selection of magnifiers.

I have a B&L Coddington and a Hoya Hastings.

J. Del Col

Old 01-02-2007, 11:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Gene,

For most of my magnification needs I use a zoom binocular dissecting
microscope (10X - 25X, both top and bottom light). I have a good
triplet somewhere but rarely use it because I like the scope so much
better. New these things are big bucks, but if you are not in a
hurry, deals on used ones can be found. I have seen them go for well
under $50 at state auctions and between $75 and $300 on eBay.

Pat

Old 01-02-2007, 01:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 1, 6:48 am, "Pat Brennan" wrote:
Gene,

For most of my magnification needs I use a zoom binocular dissecting
microscope (10X - 25X, both top and bottom light). I have a good
triplet somewhere but rarely use it because I like the scope so much
better. New these things are big bucks, but if you are not in a
hurry, deals on used ones can be found. I have seen them go for well
under $50 at state auctions and between $75 and $300 on eBay.

Pat beat me to the suggestion of dissecting 'scope. American Science
and Surplus www.sciplus.com has a very good binocular model for
about $225 or a monocular model for about $60

As Pat mentions, they are available on eBay.

Nikon makes a nice, very portable field microscope, but it is several
hundred bucks, IIRC.

J. Del Col

Old 01-02-2007, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks Guys,

Looks like there are lots of things to choose from at SCIPLUS. I'll poke
around there and find something.

Gene

oups.com...

Old 01-02-2007, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

You're not the only one who shops for orchids that way too, trust me. :-)

It's a cool site. It has a sense of humor. Somebody just sent me this: a
link for tiny 1/2 ounce crack vials with multi-colored screw on lids.
http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=7 ....I suppose you could
store orchid seed in them if you had a surplus.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

If you used them for orchid seed where would you store your crack? It might
fall out on the floor and get dirty. Then you know what you would have?
(I'll let you fill that in yourself).

Gene