Old 19-02-2003, 06:27 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Time to fess up - What the most you've paid?

Wendy wrote:

I have 3 @ $40.00 each.
Lc. Dinard ....blooms & still growing! (My very favourite orchid)
Blc. Mac Holmes 'Newberry' AM/AOS ...blooms, still going strong.
Phrag. schroderae V. roseum .....Bloomed once for me, but going down hill
!!!

For a single plant, or in a single trip? The latter is probably
incriminating, so I won't say... I've spent 150 on a plant before.
That is too much, and I believe that this plant has gone to visit the
puppies in heaven. The expensive ones (or the awarded ones) die much
too easily. I did just spend 100 on a nice division of Paph. Winston
Churchill "Redoubtable". I didn't know how much I was spending until I
got the plant, I should have asked first. But it is nice... I'd say
that 100 is pretty cheap for breeding stock (stud) divisions of paphs.
Actually there are several studs I want which cost far more than that
(one is 1000!!), and I'll probably never get them.

I usually don't buy anything that is much more than 15 dollars.
That is the vast majority of my purchases. I will spend good money on
flasks or compots, but I rationalize that by dividing the total cost by
the number of plants... *grin* I actually don't buy that many plants
anymore (except for cycnoches... and the good ones cost real money there
too).

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 19-02-2003, 10:27 PM
Karen

I think the most I have spent is around $60.00. But for the life of me I
can not remember which plant it was! I sure hope it survived.....

All orchids are worth it, no doubt about that.

It is a fine addiction you know.
Karen

Gene Schurg wrote:
OK...this newsgroup has gotten too serious. Time for some fun.

What's the most you've paid for a single plant? What was it? Did it
survive and was it worth it?

For me I have a limit of $50 for a single plant and have a couple that I
have in the collection. Phal gigantea, an award Phal equetris keiki, and a
peloric Phal Carmella Pixie that are all still in the collection. None of
them have bloomed yet but all are still alive.

Somewhere I saw an old ad from the 1960s ( think it was an AOS Orchid
Magazine ad) where plants were selling for $500+.

I'm sure some of you have some records out there....fess up!

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 20-02-2003, 02:27 AM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:06:24 GMT, (Chris Savas)
(Chris Savas) wrote in Message ID :

I paid $20 in 1968 ...

In '68 $20 would buy a week's groceries.
Old 20-02-2003, 04:51 AM
tbell

I gotta confess that I was seduced by a gorgeous, large Masdevallia
coccinea, 'Sanbar's Carmine,' with about
10 blooms, for $90.
As so many others have reported, it has just sat there since, taunting me
with occasional bursts of new leaves
which turn brown at the tip when they're about 6" tall, and nary a bloom.
Since that extravagance, my limit's about
$35.
Tom

Old 20-02-2003, 06:27 AM
Mick Fournier

Susan,

I speak the truth.

Mick

Old 20-02-2003, 06:39 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

I recently spent $65 for a 4 growth Mexipedium xerophyticum which is at this
point still alive as I've only had it for about 2 weeks

thlink.net...

Old 20-02-2003, 08:15 AM
Tracey

Tracy gets the prize for tempting us too much. Living
next to H&R and paying $6 for plants... I mean really.!

Yah, I'll tell ya, I see these people buying cut flowers
and just shake my head. You can get a big ole orchid just
down the road from me and the pricing goes like this:
1 flower spike, $6
2 flower spikes, $8
3 or more, $10

And the lady at the flea market (who also has a nursery
that I've been to a couple of times) has miltoniopsis for
$5 - $7 a pot.

And, then, of course, the Windward Orchid Society will be
having their show within the next few weeks and a couple of
hundred vendors there.

Tracey

Old 20-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Abra Myers

I spent $89 on a Vanda on when I took a trip to Florida
about two years ago. It was blooming and I just had to have
it because it was so beautiful - I had never seen anything like
it in the stores before. Unfortunately it died about 6 months later
due to my inexperience with them. Now that
I've gotten a little deeper into this hobby (or addiction is more
like it) I will not spend much more than $20.

It's good to see that I'm not the only one ever who
splurged on a plant and and then killed it : )

Abra

Old 21-02-2003, 02:54 AM
Aaron Hicks

I'll admit to purchasing one plant of Phal. gigantea for $100
circa 1985. Died a few months later. Interestingly, in retrospect it was
clearly a plant propagated from seed, or grown in cultivation for a very
long time indeed. As the dealer had a number of plants of strikingly
similar size, I suspect they were seed-grown. They were big, too- mine was
with a leaf span of about 16". Still far from blooming, of couse.

Now, the BEST money I ever spent on orchids was ~$20 on a seedling
of Trichocentrum tigrinum circa 1984 from G&B Orchid Labs. Now I have
several of them. :-)

-AJHicks
The Orchid Seedbank
Chandler, AZ

Old 21-02-2003, 03:28 AM
Eric Muehlbauer

My max was $50 that I spent on an intensely dark vinicolor Paph. Knock
knock x St. Swithin. Of course, as expected, it nearly died after
bloom...As of now, it has recovered and is growing, but it has a very
long way to go........Take care, Eric Muehlbauer

Old 21-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Karen

Your partner turned off the heat! How terrible. What a mean thing to do
to an orchid that did not hurt anything in it's life.

Karen

TRAINMAN9 wrote:
Paphs:
The most expensive plants that I purchased along with my partner when we ran
our commercial orchid business.

1986-1990
Rothschildianum 'Charles E' 3 gr. $450
Maudiae 'The Queen' 4-5 gr.$200
Neptune Mars 2 +gr. $350 *
Mt. Toro 'Orchid Loft' 3 gr.$275
spicerianum 'Orchid Loft' 5 gr. $165 *
Snowram 'Georgia' 2 gr. $260
Sioux 'Bozo' 3 gr. $ 750
Winston Churchill 'Indomitable' $350
Winston Churchill 'Redoubtable"$300

This is just a brief list of some of the stud plants we had. Those marked with
* I have and they are still alive. The rest were lost alone with all of the
rest of our collection and the inventory when the business was disolved and my
partner turned off the heat.

Old 22-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Karen

TRAINMAN9 wrote:
What a sad story! A lesson to be learned though?
"Never have your greenhouse built on someone else's property!"
Cheers Wendy

The real bad part is that we were in business for over 15 years and we had an
extensive customer list not to mention a great private collection of plants
that are impossible to replace.

Sounds like a very sad way for a partnership to end. What a major loss
as far as the orchids are concerned.

Karen

Old 22-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Mark Stroube

I once spent $250 on a big division from Blc Malworth 'Orchidglade' FCC/AOS,
which is still alive. I spent $240 on a division of Paph Tommie Hanes
'Althea' FCC/AOS, and it has a pod hanging. How about flasks? I got a
bottle of Paph sanderianum for $475, and they're only about 8 years from
blooming! *LOL*
-- Mark

Old 22-02-2003, 07:15 PM
Al

That beats the price I paid for my Paph sanderianum flask by (plus) $50. I
got a selfing of a Japanese clone labeled 'Maki' that came to me by way of a
friend's trip to the Japanese Orchid Grand Prix. I would say these have a
decade or more to go before blooming. I am pretty sure the price bubble on
blooming size Paph sanderianum plants in the USA is about 8 years from
bursting. :-)

.. .

Old 22-02-2003, 11:51 PM
Jerry Hoffmeister

I 6 months ago or so split a $425 flask of sanderianum with a friend - 12 of
my 1/2 still alive They are Paph. sanderianum x sib ('Dragon Dance' x
'Dark Spider') from Orchid Inn.