Old 17-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Al

Default Seeking Vanilla aphylla information

I did a search online and came up with a few links in German and one in
English...didn't learn very much from any of them.

If I am reading the botanical name correctly "aphylla" means leafless, and
the cuttings i just received would tend to bare this out since they are just
12" pieces of stem that are a bit desiccated from their journey. I just
remembered and hunted down an article on leafless orchids in a recent
"Orchids" magazine and Vanilla aphylla is listed there, so with this
confirmed I am still seeking culture advice. My initial plan is to lay the
desiccated stems on damp moss until they revive and then affix them to
something upright once I figure out which end is up...

Al

Old 18-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Fran Kirby

Try a google search for leafless orchids ...
http://fig.cox.miami.edu/~scofield/s...h_vanilla.html

--
/\ /\
\/ \/

:

Old 18-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Al

Thank you. It is interesting that Vl. aphyla is not listed with the species
on this page but that there are two other leafless Vanilla species...

Old 18-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Fran Kirby

From what part of the country(ies) did you get your vanilla? It sounded like
it was shipped some distance. "are a bit desiccated from their
journey. "

news : Thank you. It is interesting that Vl. aphyla is not listed with the
: "Fran Kirby" wrote in message
: news:fSHna.496308$3D1.268125@sccrnsc01...
: Try a google search for leafless orchids ...
: http://fig.cox.miami.edu/~scofield/s...h_vanilla.html
:
:
: --
: /\ /\
: \/ \/
: ( '+' )
: @( ) Fran Kirby
: ^ ^
:
:
:
:
: "Al" wrote in message
: ...
: : I did a search online and came up with a few links in German and one
in
: : English...didn't learn very much from any of them.
: :

Old 18-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Al

The plants came from a nursery in Thailand but I don't know where the
species aphylla itself is native.

It takes information a while to sink into my head. When I first looked at
this link I thought it was telling me that Vanilla species all come from the
new world but the link only addresses the 4 species native to Florida out of
the "50 tropical species". I think my stems will revive nicely and I was
just seeking information on how to grow it, especially how to mount it. On
rereading your link I am relieved to discover my plants did not necessarily
get shipped from a Florida everglade to Thailand only to come back to me by
way of an importer in Texas but if that turns out to be the case it would
only be "typical".

I looked closely at the stems and the nodes on the stem where the roots come
out but I can't yet really tell which end I should mount facing up toward
the sky and which end should go down. Your link provided a clue that maybe
I could just leave it horizontal on a bed of moss until it makes up its own
mind. The section on Vanilla barbellata described them as "a strange colony
of deep green, pipe-like tubes crawling across the rocky forest floor."
Perhaps the aphylla will behave the same way.

"Fran Kirby" wrote in message
From what part of the country(ies) did you get your vanilla? It sounded

like

: "Fran Kirby" wrote in message
: news:fSHna.496308$3D1.268125@sccrnsc01...
: Try a google search for leafless orchids ...
: http://fig.cox.miami.edu/~scofield/s...h_vanilla.html
:
:
: --
: /\ /\
: \/ \/
: ( '+' )
: @( ) Fran Kirby
: ^ ^
:
:
:
:
: ...

Old 18-04-2003, 06:44 PM
jimwatts

Al -
Yeah, aphylla is an southeast asian species, no worries about glades
gleaning! There are probably about 8-10 leafless species of vanilla
from the americas, africa, and asia.
When I get new vanilla cuttings, I lay them horizontally on sphagnum
or regular potting soil. Put a vertical riser in the pot for when it
starts growing. The plant may take months before putting out new
growth from one of the nodes. Just keep watering, they can be
frustrating waiting for them to grow, LOL. But when it does grow, it
can ramble all over the place!!
I saw a V. planifolia at the Coral Gables show that was in a 24 inch
basket of sphagnum, no vertical at all. It had several spikes, and
was probably 20 feet long, all coiled up like some giant green snake.

jimwatts

Old 18-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Al

Thank you. I am glad to hear I made the right choice to jump-start my
cuttings. I was worried that they might need to be mounted but without
knowing which end was up I feared there was a 50% chance I would mount them
upside down and do more harm than good.

om...

"Al" wrote in message

The plants came from a nursery in Thailand but I don't know where the
species aphylla itself is native.

Seeking information on 2 dendrobes - aries & schulleri Dave Gillingham Orchids 4 18-04-2004 01:04 PM
algae for vanilla PondWoman Ponds 5 14-07-2003 04:49 PM
Ping Benign Vanilla - OT - ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 2 06-06-2003 06:44 AM
list of perennials - seeking information Hillary Israeli Gardening 3 05-06-2003 06:20 PM
Ping Benign Vanilla Nedra Ponds 3 02-06-2003 04:20 PM