Old 19-02-2003, 10:03 PM
TRAINMAN9

Default Buddy Heater

Is anyone using this portable propane heater for emergency heat. I was using it
for the first time to heat our garage and after a couple of hours the propane
cylinder froze up and the heater turned off.

I was considering using it for emergency heat in my greenhouse but not if it is
not realiable.

Old 19-02-2003, 11:39 PM
Karen

Gene Schurg wrote:
Trainman,

I saw them at Home Depot and considered it too. Was it the little
cyclinder or did you get the extra hose so you could use the big BBQ Grill
tanks?

I bought the big propane heater ($40) that mounts on top of the BBQ Tank.
It's ugly but I don't plan to use it unless it's an emergency. I figured it
was cheap insurance.

Gene

"TRAINMAN9" wrote in message

Is anyone using this portable propane heater for emergency heat. I was

using it

for the first time to heat our garage and after a couple of hours the

propane

cylinder froze up and the heater turned off.

I was considering using it for emergency heat in my greenhouse but not if

it is

not realiable.

Are there any fumes that are released from the heater? I'm wondering as
I too need a back up plan.

I consider it lucky Wisconsin has not really gotten a major snow storm
in a couple of years.

I want a generator but have to save my pennies.
Karen

Old 20-02-2003, 01:03 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

I bought one of those gas-grill tank heaters as a backup, and ended up using
it for about six weeks while I awaited delivery of my new heater.

Worked like a charm, no lost buds or anything.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 20-02-2003, 01:51 AM
Tessmann

Hi,

You didn't say what size cylinder (1 LB or 20 LB) you were using but I'm guessing
it was a 1 LB. It probably just ran out of gas. One of the web sites (see URL 1
below) said heating time is 3 to 6 hours with a 1 LB cylinder and 48 to 110 hours
with a 20 LB cylinder.

So, IMHO, it's probably a reliable heater BUT you'd have to make sure it doesn't
run out of propane. A natural gas fueled heater would seem to be a better choice.

The propane is in liquid form in the cylinder and absorbs heat from the air to turn
it into gas that the heater can burn. When the cylinder is getting low, it will
get cold and moisture will condense on it. When it's almost empty the moisture
will freeze giving it a layer of frost near the bottom. One summer I drove an ice
cream truck which had a propane fueled generator in it. I could tell by how high
the moisture or frost line was how much was left in the cylinder. I carried two
cylinders, a 80 lb for normal use and a 20 lb spare for when the big one was empty.

The site at http://www.mrheater.com/new/buddy.htm has lots of info about these
heaters.

I used Google to search for "Buddy Heater" and "Mr. Heater"

URL 1:
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...ge.asp?ID=4018

This is an interesting problem that needs more info, like

This is a radiant heater which heats the object, not the air itself, according to
the manufacturers site. Will that work?

What's the normal source of heat in the green house? What kind of fuel does it
use? What's the risk of it's failing? Has it failed and how long was it out?
What do you do now if it fails? How do you know it's failed?

How big is the green house? If the primary heat fails do you want to just keep the
plants from freezing or do you want to keep them at the *normal* temperature.

How valuable are the plants? How much money are you willing to spend for this
emergency system?

Are you going to leave the emergency system on pilot so it kicks in automatically?

What's your backup for the emergency system running out of fuel.

Is the green house attached to your house? One of the sites below said this heater
was approved for use in a home but only with a 1 LB cylinder. Can't use it with
the 20 LB cylinder in a house.

My apologies for all the questions. I'm a computer engineer and it's a hard habit
to break. It drives my wife nuts when I turn a simple question into a big project.

Hal

Old 20-02-2003, 03:03 PM
TRAINMAN9

Are there any fumes that are released from the heater? I'm wondering as
I too need a back up plan.

No, it is very clean burning and has a device to turn off the heater in the
event that the oxygen is depleted. It lights with a pizio electric device and
has a pilot.

It puts out a maximum of 9000 BTU's which is enough to keep my 8x10 greenhouse
from freezing.

I thought about a generator, we had a 5KW propane unit when I had a commercial
orchid business. At the time I think it cost us about $4000 including the
automatic switching panel and installation. We had a 24x48 lexan covered
greenhouse plus a 18x20 work room at the time. The generator was in the
basement of the house and even though the exhaust pipe was outside it still
made enough noise to wake the dead. Modern units are much quieter.