Old 11-02-2007, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Oh Happy Day; the ironical version.

In article vvmzh.307$II6.202@trnddc07,
"J Fortuna" wrote:

J_a,

I on the other hand have 53 orchids that all get hauled to the kitchen sink
and watered on a schedule that is based on an average of previous watering
times for each particular plant as calculated by the MsAccess database
query -- at times of low humidity (such as now) I look ahead in the query
and check whether the orchids for the next few days should already be
watered -- when the wheather changes though I am able to slack off more and
not check my database query as often and water orchids that are overdue. I
find that for me it is easier if I water a few every day or every other day
than watering only once a week and then having to spend an hour or two
watering them all. Of course there are times when I slack off at
inappropriate times and then my orchids get extra-dry, but since most of
them are fairly tolerant of neglect, that's ok. I am thinking of tossing my
cochleanthes amazonica, it's not doing well, and it's too high
maintenance -- not tolerant of neglect. I am going to keep my toddler
though, even though the too high maintenance would apply to him as well, but
unlike the cochleanthes he's worth it. ;-)

Joanna

-impressed- you are a better orchid mom than i. (of course, if i
didn't have to haul my butt out of bed at 0 dark thirty every morning to
go to work, the plants would get watered more when they want it and less
when i have time for it.

--j_a
Old 12-02-2007, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 16:35:39 GMT in vvmzh.307$II6.202@trnddc07 J Fortuna wrote:
maintenance -- not tolerant of neglect. I am going to keep my toddler
though, even though the too high maintenance would apply to him as well, but
unlike the cochleanthes he's worth it. ;-)

I wonder if you can get a better price for the toddler tho'...

:-)
--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up