Old 10-02-2007, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default New atitide at the AOS?

Kathy Fiegel posted this link on the OGD. If you have not yet received your
'Orchids' magazine new president Carlos Fighetti has a letter to the
membership in this month's orchids. These letters are available online at
http://www.aos.org/aos/about/page04.aspx go to the page and click on
February.

Its a farnk appraisal of teh AOS and what they need to do to get their
membership back.

I was impressed.

K Barrett

Old 10-02-2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

And (not to keep looking like I'm talking to myself) here's a link to the
minutes from the past Member's Meetings.
http://www.aos.org/aos/about/page14.aspx

I always wanted to read these because, well, if its supposed to be a
"Member's" meeting how come we don't get to know what goes on in them?
Finally! they have the minutes posted, complete through St Louis. Al, you
can (or should be able to) read the complete minutes regarding the CITES
document. (In case anything got dropped in formatting changes between the
..doc I got and what I was able to copy and paste to rgo in the St Louis
minutes.) There's some interesting stuff about disputed awards and outcomes
to award challenges. So yes, there are award corrections, in case you
wondered.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Oops, thats 'frank appraisal' so much for my typing skills.

. ..

Old 10-02-2007, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

FWIW, I think this has been in the works for some time. The AOS has been
holding regular meetings of the S. FL Leadership Council for at least a
year; I think it might actually be closer to two years, but I can't remember
for sure. The SFLC is made up of AOS Reps, local society presidents and
other interested AOS members. For example, our show chairperson goes to
those meetings along with our AOS rep and president.

In the beginning, they were not terribly receptive to new ideas. They didn't
even want to discuss the dues increase. But as time passed, I think reality
sank in. The declining membership numbers finally hit home. At least they
appear to recognize that for at least some people, raising the dues was like
the final straw. And, as has been discussed here many times before,
information is so easy to come by these days that we hardly need to rely on
magazines to get what we need.

They really were in their own little world down in Delray Beach, on the way
to existing for the sake of their own existence. Mind you, I do not include
the judges in that description. Our judges are great.

So we'll see what happens. I support the concept of the AOS. It has to morph
into something that offers a real service to orchidists, new and experienced
alike. Magazine articles about old time members are nice enough, but what do
they contribute to our growing experience? I think what we mostly want is
relevance, relevance, relevance. Just my two cents.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Oops, thats 'frank appraisal' so much for my typing skills.

. ..

Old 10-02-2007, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

[...]

Fighetti says something similar in his comment. I thought it was
interesting that he said to the AOS the change to the 21st century should be
more than just pulling another day off the calender. As a business owner I
too am going through these mind changes. I'm trying to design a web page
for my business becasue to google my name and have nothing show up when one
is in business is not a good thing. (one of my patients told me that and
then the penny dropped. 'oh, yeah, huh!' )

They really were in their own little world down in Delray Beach, on the
way to existing for the sake of their own existence. Mind you, I do not
include the judges in that description. Our judges are great.

You know, most people in (any) society are great. I don't know where the
dumb bunny ness comes from in them. I could say the same thing about my
local society. The 'society' in terms of friendship seems to have gone out
if it. But I could be wrong.

So we'll see what happens. I support the concept of the AOS. It has to
morph into something that offers a real service to orchidists, new and
experienced alike. Magazine articles about old time members are nice
enough, but what do they contribute to our growing experience? I think
what we mostly want is relevance, relevance, relevance. Just my two cents.

I wondered about the idea of the blog. I don't know about you, but I have
interests other than orchids (mystery books specifiaclly) and I'm just sick
of authors flogging their blogs. Blatant Self Promotion via their blogs.
Like who cares what their opinions are anyway? But maybe an orchid blog is
somehow a different animal from an author blog (or forum).

Relevance is different for different people. Of course you know that. (I
don't know why I said it.) When asked point blank what would be relevant
for me, I always drop back to good scientific articles. Written on a
college level (not a grad school level - I'm not that smart, but I can
google if I need to) A good article on orchid scents might be good. An
article on whether light intensity or duration is more important in getting
orchids to bloom. I think windowsill growers would like to know that,
since their access to light is limited. On OrchidSafari tonight we're going
to be given a talk about the first meeting of teh Chinese Cymbidium society
in Beijing. Probably just some local color and some pics. 4-5 notable
speakers were present to talk on conservation themes. Why couldn't these
talks be reprinted in teh AOS mag? Same with the meeting in S Africa later
this year? Or the one coming up in Costa Rica?

I dunno. It seems content is where you find it. Like Eric Hunt is going to
Borneo later this spring. Eric Hansen (also a San Fran local) wrote the
book about travels in Borneo. Maybe there's a story in the differences in
Borneo between the 70s when Hansen went vs when Hunt goes... maybe there
isn't. But you don't know until you ask.

Of course these are all ideas and lord knows I don't *actually* want to do
the *work* to bring them to fruition, LOL!!!

K Barrett

Old 11-02-2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

becasue to google my name and have nothing show up when one is in business
is not a good thing. (one of my patients told me that and then the penny
dropped. 'oh, yeah, huh!' )

Sounds like you need a good Google bombing! You'd need a bunch of people.
I'll bet this group would help.

You know, most people in (any) society are great. I don't know where the
dumb bunny ness comes from in them. I could say the same thing about my
local society. The 'society' in terms of friendship seems to have gone
out if it.

I hear this so often. I really feel good about our society, though when I
first joined it was the pits. I won't bore you with that story again.
Suffice to say it's great now. Newbies feel free to volunteer and learn.
Some of the surrounding societies have some great people, but the
organizations are weak. One nearby society does nothing but fight - real
knock down drag outs. Their prexy walked out and quit in the middle of a
recent meeting. Can't say I blame her, given what I know about them.

I don't know about you, but I have interests other than orchids (mystery
books specifiaclly)

Yes, many other interests. Reading is a passion, and so is writing. Reading
I always have time for, but writing has gone by the board. After this
session, I won't be VP anymore (man, it's been a long time!) and that will
take some pressure off me.

Of course these are all ideas and lord knows I don't *actually* want to do
the *work* to bring them to fruition, LOL!!!

Well, no. And why should you? That is the job of AOS and the people who run
it and decide to volunteer for it. It's time for them to look past the old
times and get with the program. It appears that they want to do that. I'm
rooting for them. I think a lot depends on how much resistance they get from
the old guard. The big money contributors love to see their pics in print,
I'm sure. I'm not trying to be snarky. But hey, face what *is*.

Diana

Old 11-02-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:
Kathy Fiegel posted this link on the OGD. If you have not yet received your
'Orchids' magazine new president Carlos Fighetti has a letter to the
membership in this month's orchids. These letters are available online at
http://www.aos.org/aos/about/page04.aspx go to the page and click on
February.

Its a farnk appraisal of teh AOS and what they need to do to get their
membership back.

I was impressed.

K Barrett

I would like to hope for the best; history has taught me to temper that.
But it seems that most of the search for input involves current members.
Wouldn't it perhaps be more helpful to poll FORMER members? Those who've
quit in the last, say, ten years?

Old 11-02-2007, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:13:51 -0500, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Another PS: The magazine came this afternoon.

Diana

Somewhere in this thread someone said SERVICE to the member....
My E-AOS has been promised IMMEDIATELY by both the 'merchandiser' and
Cook. I guess they can spell it just not provide it.

I still have not gotten the update.
It was a cc to Carlos last time. This time when I write it will be a
letter to him and a cc to them.

I can not believe they did not have enough CD's to provide every
subscriber with a copy on the first shipment. So what is the holdup?
SuE
Old 11-02-2007, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

yeah, i skimmed the letter and it seemed a bit placatory if nothing
else. i filled out the survey and told them i was a recidivist--quit
when the dues went up to 60, and am only a member again because someone
else (three someone else's, actually) is paying for my membership.

oh, my issue of the mag hit MD 6b a few days ago.

--j_a

Tol Robsan 'Orchid World' AM/AOS x Rdcdm Rose Ganauchau 'Hackneau' HCC/AOS x2 v_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 24-04-2008 01:19 PM
C Swan Lake 'Cimmaron Valley' AM/AOS X C Joan Lines 'Jean' AM/AOS V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 15-01-2008 11:01 PM
AOS forum tennis Orchids 26 11-07-2003 12:44 AM
AOS meeting Dave Lockwood Orchids 1 30-03-2003 04:56 PM
AOS webpage/Forum down? K Barrett Orchids 3 08-02-2003 02:49 PM