Old 16-02-2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Stop me before I buy more

We bought 11 more miniatures from Andy last weekend at the
OC show. What was once a classic sailboat is now a green
house. Mon. am I noticed a strong sweet perfume
smell and looking around I found it was coming from the
Tuberolabium (Saccolablum) odoratissimum which bloomed
all 30-40 flowers at once. By noon each day the fragrance
is gone but this is really cool. I can see now that
the potted plants will have to go to make room for a
lot more mounted species.

Bob
Old 16-02-2007, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

You've come to the wrong place for rehab! Stop you? We will do nothing but
enable you to find more nooks and crannies around that boat, my friend!

Reminds me of the summer I spent living on a boat with two kids, a dog and
two cats, and a wretch of a husband who managed to be out of town as much as
possible. Orchids could have had his side of the bunk, for sure!

;oD

Diana

Old 18-02-2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 08:04:48 -0800, K Barrett wrote:
So where do you keep these on a boat? (Enquiring minds want to know)

Most are on mounts on the cabin sides and under the skylight.

Do you worry that any salt spray will wreck the roots?

No salt spray below deck. I do have a lot of sea air
flow through the boat and the plants seem to need
more water than most. I did buy some plants 5yr old
and in most the new groth is up to twice the size or
more than previous. Also a Den. Kiugianni that is exploding
the slats out of its wood basket.

Bob
Old 20-02-2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K -- We have a couple customers who take orchids on extended boat trips. No
reports of salt damage (although I do try to steer them away from Paphs).

In the wild, I've seen Schombos growing happily on palm trees hanging out
over the ocean; some of them I'm sure get wet when seas are rough. And many
other central american species growing not too much further away from the
shore. Kenni

Old 21-02-2007, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks Kenni. I wondered because I remember Jay Pfahl talking about the
damage to his orchids from salt water inundation during a hurricane there in
the Keys. This was years ago.

Robert, if its not too personal a question, how big is the boat? I've only
ever been on 30-40 ftrs and quarters seems rather tight on those to share
with orchids...even minis. But what do I know? Where there's a will
there's a way.

K Barrett

Old 21-02-2007, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kathy,

Emerald Hutchins has over 500 orchids on a houseboat just south of San
Francisco - never seen the boat, but she seems to enjoy having them out
there with her. I think she's "borrowed" some of them to neighboring boats,
though. =)

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

. ..

Old 21-02-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:30:44 -0800, K Barrett wrote:

Robert, if its not too personal a question, how big is the boat? I've only
ever been on 30-40 ftrs and quarters seems rather tight on those to share
with orchids...even minis. But what do I know? Where there's a will
there's a way.

I live on a 43' classic built in 1937 (not much left that is original)
since 1973 on a offshore mooring.

Bob

Old 21-02-2007, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K: I have no doubt that Jay's orchids sustained a lot of damage, but it's a
whole different situation. Where he's located (here, too, if a roof fails),
a direct hurricane hit would dump A LOT of salt water (likely also
impregnated by other nasty stuff). And if that nasty water goes into pots,
it stays there until it's flushed out ... which could take days or even
weeks, if it takes electricity to pump the water (barring a big enough
generator). Even mounts will be affected, but it's a lot easier to rinse
them off.

Salt air, or even an occasional dash of spray from rough seas, is not in the
same ballpark. Good growing, Kenni

. ..