Old 17-02-2007, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Cold snaps and little creatures G

So it's going to get cold down here in Flahda tonight, cold enough that the
Vandas and Phals and tender buds need to be brought in to shelter and the
rest at least need to be covered as best we can. The beauty part is that
even if it does go into the 30's (regardless of the forecasts, that
generally doesn't happen), that drop will be brief, not prolonged. Still,
precautions are needed.

So, the portable PVC racks are in and filled with Vandas. The dining room
table (along with other tables) is laden with Phals and mounts. Phal. Malibu
Madonna (pic at abpo) is gracing the coffee table in the "family" room.
Casper the Wonder Cat accompanied us as we hauled plants; it is an
adventure, after all! Meow, meow, sing, sing, trip mommy, trip mommy!

Throw sheets on all the rest, make sure the remote thermometers are working
properly, turn on the pool pump later (the water is warm - not so that I'd
put a toe in it right now, but warm by the standards of the entire rest of
the country).

Half an hour ago I looked out and noted that the sheets were already blowing
off. So out we went to do a better job of anchoring things. As I pulled a
sheet over the top of a group of plants, something scampered up the sleeve
of my sweatshirt. Yikes, the attack of the baby lizard! Um, hey, Frank? I've
got an intruder running around under my shirt and making an attempt at my
bra! No, wait - I think I got him out of there. Problem gone.

But no! Before we went into the house, I felt it again. So Frank said,
"Well, you'd better take off the shirt and shake it before you go inside!"
Oh, no! It's 59 degrees out here! Off came the shirt, out ran the critter,
and I refuse to leave the house for the rest of the night, thank you very
much.

Casper will no doubt find the critter in the morning when he goes out on the
patio, bring it inside, place it gently on the rug in the office (he doesn't
try to harm them) and wait for Frank to pick it up and take it to safety out
on the lawn.

Wednesday it was 80. Pardon me while I go dig out my Polartec snuggle sack!

Diana

Old 19-02-2007, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

----------------------------------
---------------------
Wednesday it was 80. Pardon me while I go dig out my Polartec snuggle sack!

Diana

So, DID it get cold? I didn't hear your teeth chatter. G
Did Casper catch your visitor or did you manage to keep him out far
enough?

Love your Casper stories.
SuE
Old 19-02-2007, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yes, it got cold, very cold! And again last night. This morning I woke up
and Frank was already up, shivering. It's going to get warmer now, however.
Tonight will be 52 at the lowest, according to weather.com, but we'll check
again before taking everything out. The rest of the picture looks good - it
will be back in the 80's during the day and high 60's at night. And we're at
the end of our cold period. March 1st, it's over. And we can't complain;
it's been a mild winter, just a few cold nights. That's normal. Still, we
are reminded why we don't live up north anymore!

Casper didn't spend enough time on the patio to catch the visitor, so it's
probably hiding in a plant somewhere.

I'm looking at some very unhappy Phals. Buds blasting - they hate the
inside/outside deal.

Diana

Old 19-02-2007, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Wimps.

It actually got above freezing here Saturday - for the first time all
month!!! A week before I did my Charleston & Savannah speaking tour, it was
single-digits every morning.

.. .

Old 20-02-2007, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

There are reasons why we choose to live in Florida. Weather is one,
although I've seen plenty of cold-hardy types -- both human and orchid --
wilt in our summers -- they seem to think 90+F is too hot G.

I saw and felt snow once (1986), and feel no need for further acquaintance
with it. Kenni