Old 17-02-2007, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default OT; Aluminum frame greenhouse & frost

I put up a used Aluminum frame greenhouse last spring and this is my first
experience with this type. (My other one is wood framed) Now that the
temperatures are dropping into the single digits my frame looks like the
inside of a never defrosted freezer. My question is there any way to
prevent this?
Old 17-02-2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Dusty" wrote in message
. 17.102...
I put up a used Aluminum frame greenhouse last spring and this is my first
experience with this type. (My other one is wood framed) Now that the
temperatures are dropping into the single digits my frame looks like the
inside of a never defrosted freezer. My question is there any way to
prevent this?

Bubble insulation or parafin heater maybe.
Thanks Keith

Old 17-02-2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Keith Kent" wrote in message

"Dusty" wrote in message
. 17.102...
I put up a used Aluminum frame greenhouse last spring and this is my first
experience with this type. (My other one is wood framed) Now that the
temperatures are dropping into the single digits my frame looks like the
inside of a never defrosted freezer. My question is there any way to
prevent this?

Bubble insulation or parafin heater maybe.
Thanks Keith

Sorry i thought i was responding in uk.rec.gardening.
What are you growing or intending to use the greenhouse for?
Thanks Keith

Old 18-02-2007, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:04:35 GMT, Dusty
wrote:

I put up a used Aluminum frame greenhouse last spring and this is my first
experience with this type. (My other one is wood framed) Now that the
temperatures are dropping into the single digits my frame looks like the
inside of a never defrosted freezer. My question is there any way to
prevent this?

Our gh has a metal frame and a "storm door" style entrance door.
We don't have a problem with the frost on the frames. But we had to
insulate the door. We put that plastic shrink wrap stuff from 3-M
that they use in poorly insulated houses to create a storm window for
single pane windows. When we changed the glass in the end caps to
twinwall, we made a panel to go over the outside of the door. Some
hardware store screws that have the pivot section to hold a storm
window on, and we are good to go.
SuE
Old 18-02-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Dusty, a quick search found this cork product;

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

A bit long but it should get you there. Bubble wrap, foam or cork tape
is probably your best remedy, at least that I can think of.

Barrels of water in your greenhouse will smooth the day/night swing.

Actually a clear plastic sheet hung about one inch inside your GH will
be a good insulator if the bottom is sealed to the groung to prevent
heat pumping.
Joe T

Old 18-02-2007, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Is there a cross section of the aluminum that looks like a I beam? I wonder
if you could use foam insulation to insulate the aluminium... ??? Never
having tried it myself... but extrapolating from a Ford truck frame TV
commercial....

K Barrett

. 17.102...

Old 18-02-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I thought of using insulating tape but my past experience with it has
been unreliable. The adhesives on the tape tend to harden after a couple
of years and the stuff falls off.
The following has good adhesive but the foam denigrates with time.
www.grainger.com/.../ACRefrigeration4E309.html

Bubble wrap is a good idea Keith but I fear it wont stay stuck in place.
The greenhouse uses two films Tedlar on the outside and Serac on the
inside. I have already found that adhesives do not stick well to these
materials even the patching tape made for it comes loose.

Thanks jtill for the cork tape idea I'm now thinking of using the foam
tape as a base and then protecting it with a cover cork tape.

Thanks Sue I also have a storm door style entrance door that opens out.
Though it is double insulated it still sweats like crazy and runoff goes
under the door freezing it shut. I'm using silicone spray as a temporary
cure till it gets warm enough for a redesign.
Thanks
Dusty
Old 18-02-2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

One product that I have used with excellent results is;

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

It is white and comes in large sheets that can be cut into strips or
whatever. I got mine from McMaster Carr at;

Mcmaster.com.

It has acrylic glue one one side that sticks forever. They have many
foams, I have tried several and this, VOLARA, is the best. I use it to
seal doors on carwash vacuums, a severe service indeed and it lasts
forever. Try a small sample.
Joe T

Old 18-02-2007, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"jtill" wrote in news:1171828780.521208.66700
@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com:

Mcmaster.com.

Thanks a lot. I'm going to try that if the weather ever warms up again.

Grow well and bloom magnificently
Old 19-02-2007, 10:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Dusty" wrote in message
. 17.102...
"jtill" wrote in news:1171828780.521208.66700
@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com:

Mcmaster.com.

Thanks a lot. I'm going to try that if the weather ever warms up again.

Grow well and bloom magnificently

Hi Dusty, i think no matter how well insulated a greenhouse is ,unheated
you will always get a touch of frost inside.Especially when there are long
periods of cold weather ,the same would apply to any dwelling if left
unheated.All you can do is reduce the heatloss so the extremes are not so
great so you can maintain the min temp you require.In my ali greenhouse i
used 6ft by 3ft by 1 inch thick polystyrene insulation panels for the lower
half to just above bench height,the rest of the glass is insulated with
greenhouse bubble wrap which is thicker than the normal stuff and the air
bubbles are bigger giving better insulation.You can get fixings for doing
this for a ali greenhouse.I can keep the min temp i require which is around
60f ,without this it was impossible and costly.(it is still costly
however)!Also on the outside lower 4ft i used wooden fence panels to clad
,mainly to protect damage from the glass.I would advise anyone IF growing
orchids not to use a aluminium greenhouse,mine will soon be used for general
use not orchids.But growing orchids is a progression which does grab you and
from talking to other orchid growers no matter what size/type of greenhouse
they have are not fully happy and will soon fill to the rafters!
Thanks Keith

Old 20-02-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi Keith
I heat my greenhouse to 60F. Gas 10000 btu (came with the greenhouse)
right now but I'll be switching to hot water later as the greenhouse
needs 15000 btu at 0F maybe less when I get the aluminum frame
insulated. The original design had the greenhouse sitting on the ground
but I have too many critters for that (possums, raccoons, squirrels,
rats and cats) not to mention the kids next door with their soccer
ball.. So I built a lower wall 3 feet high of 2 X 6's and filled the
empty space between with foam insulation. On top I put an aluminum sheet
with an overhang so critters cant get a grip. The outside I covered with
plywood siding and the inside with James Hardie cement fiber siding
painted, no worries about rot with this stuff.
Filled to the rafters? thanks for the warning but it's a bit late as
it's already a jungle in there.

Grow well and bloom magnificently
dusty

"Keith Kent" wrote in
news

. 17.102...

Old 22-02-2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi Dusty,so your ready for a extension then?:-)
Cheers Keith

[...]

"Dusty" wrote in message
. 17.102...
[...]

lean-to greenhouse or cold frame kit? Ohioguy Gardening 6 13-02-2010 06:55 PM
Ammonia + Aluminum = ? Dulcamara Ponds 0 24-09-2007 03:57 AM
Re-use Aluminum siding. Cx Edible Gardening 1 08-04-2005 01:49 AM
Small greenhouse or hot frame idea Roy Gardening 1 17-08-2004 03:35 PM
source for steel/aluminum/metal garden edging in MA? Christopher Gardening 3 03-07-2003 01:08 AM