Old 20-02-2007, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Saving rgo and abpo

All,

I don't pretend to be a net wiz kid. Is there something that can be done to
stop the spamming here? Of course, I don't open the junk, but doesn't it cut
into the band width we have, or something like that?

I remember reading not too long ago about groups that went down because of
this kind of garbage. Is there anything we can do, or is it not important?

I'd hate to lose this group.

Diana

Old 20-02-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
al al is offline

It IS a strange kind of spam flood, for sure. We are usually spared this
type of thing.

There have been only two spammers responsible for most of this: the M15
persona and the spamvertiser who is pushing us to visit all those
blogspot.com blogs that do nothing but draw attention to blogspot.com.
(there are a relatively few others) The M15 guy seems to have gone back on
his medications and that really only leaves the one disruptive blogspot.com
spamvertiser. Blogspot dude keeps changing his email ID so anybody using a
simple filter based on this header field will not be able to block him out.

He is posting in many other newsgroups too. I have been monitoring a few
internet abuse newsgroups and it looks like a great many others are working
to figure out how to get his (the blogspot.com one) accounts cancelled. He
seems to operating from a new but mis-configured server at shaw.ca. AND
Shaw.ca's abuse desk is not cooperating to shut him down. In fact it seems
to be completely unmanned. blogspot dude is mailing from yahoo.com
web-based mail account from his shaw.ca residential account.

(Blogspot.com is owned by GOOGLE and I find it interesting that Google
groups does filter out his posts because they are not showing up there. You
could read rgo from Google groups and never see any of this, but that does
not work for rgo.

Personally I don't know of any way to stop them except to evolve better ways
to filter what my newsreader draws off the server. Outlook Express (the one
you use) is not good for this purpose at all. Especially since the poster
keeps changing his ID.. A program that allows you to filter based on body
text or other consistent headers in his posts would be ideal. I was
experimenting with one called "Gravity" but there are several out there.
None of them seem to have filters that are very easy for the non-computer
literate to use....especially the Microsoft windows people.

One of the big problems I am just starting to understand is that in order to
filter based on body text, I have to have already downloaded the message I
don't want to see. But it can be done.

I would be interested in what pakrat has to say because he seems to be on
the inside of IT stuff looking out at the rest of us. I looked into his
newsreader "slrn" and my mind boggled. :-)

Patience is required. Certainly a direct attack will do nothing, IMHO. If
it were only possible to mobilize all internet users to stop using Shaw.ca
as their ISP, avoid yahoo.com, filter any mention of blogspot.com and use
some other search engine than google, somebody would step in and make this
spammer die.

.. .

Old 20-02-2007, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 02:05:33 GMT in NHsCh.3059$vu2.115@trnddc04 al wrote:
It IS a strange kind of spam flood, for sure. We are usually spared this
type of thing.

I'm not seeing any particular spamflood on RGO/ABPO.
I mean I get some spam on earlier newsgroups, the subject line is disturbingly
consistant and would have triggered something like cleanfeed to purge
them on the incoming feed.
The S/N ratio here is great compared to alt.tasteless, but not as
good as on the openbsd and netbsd newsgroups...

He is posting in many other newsgroups too. I have been monitoring a few
internet abuse newsgroups and it looks like a great many others are working
to figure out how to get his (the blogspot.com one) accounts cancelled. He
seems to operating from a new but mis-configured server at shaw.ca. AND
Shaw.ca's abuse desk is not cooperating to shut him down. In fact it seems
to be completely unmanned. blogspot dude is mailing from yahoo.com
web-based mail account from his shaw.ca residential account.

Mind coughing up a couple recent message-ids from him. I've not been
seing him from TWC.

[...]

Well, you don't neccesarily need to read the body.
I don't have message-ids to see recent posts from the blogspot guy
but i suspect that he'll disappear if you filter based on
shaw.ca in the Path: or the Message-ID: and yahoo.com as the From:,
you'll bag him.

On a "use abuse desks"
Skip them, go right to the legal department.
. And if you have free LD and a fax machine...
Tech-Fax: +1-403-750-4501
and if you have time to kill
Tech-Phone: +1-403-750-4500

See who shaw's upstream is for news (Reading the Path: line)
and start a dialog with their abuse desk.

As for slrn... that was the logical next step from
rn-trn-strn.
Do double check that it's coming from shaw's news servers
and shaw's netblocks.
Support for those three disappeared and slrn gave me almost the
text interface I was used to.

Patience is required. Certainly a direct attack will do nothing, IMHO. If
it were only possible to mobilize all internet users to stop using Shaw.ca
as their ISP, avoid yahoo.com, filter any mention of blogspot.com and use
some other search engine than google, somebody would step in and make this
spammer die.

Oh, if you just want him dead... convince the organized crime driven
spammers that he's cutting into their profits.
He will end up dead.
--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
Old 20-02-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana,

Very interesting. I use GigaNews and I see hardly any spam at all, and none
over the long weekend. This is my first venture into RGO since POE finished
and no spam here. Haven't poked into ABPO yet.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 20-02-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Guys,

My concern is not that I *see* the spam. It's just the subject lines, and I
would never open one, so that's not an issue. I was more concerned that it
might damage our groups, but from what you've written it appears that it's
just a nuisance, nothing more. So I'll just continue to ignore it.

Diana

Old 21-02-2007, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana,

Very interesting. I don't see *ANYTHING* - in fact, I had no idea there
was a spam problem in RGO/ABPO until your post.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 22-02-2007, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:36:30 -0800, Eric Hunt
wrote:

Diana,

Very interesting. I don't see *ANYTHING* - in fact, I had no idea there
was a spam problem in RGO/ABPO until your post.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

I saw the first several posts from the Ma5 persona as Al named him.
The rest never made it in. I put him into Agent's Spam filter and
that was the end of my problem. Once in a while I find a thread of
really obnoxious things in ABPO, but I have not seen anything for
quite a while. Knock on wood - I don't want to pull them out of the
woodwork.
SuE