Old 20-02-2007, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Question on Brassavola grandiflora

I received a division of a jungle-collected plant from way-back-when. It
has bloomed with the "cluster starburst" typical of the species/variety.

However, unlike any I have ever seen, the petals are straight out to the
sides, rather than thrust slightly forward, and are pure white, rather than
greenish.

Is anyone familiar enough with the species to give me a guess as to its
rarity?

Old 20-02-2007, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ray,

I believe Al had a bunch of these in his GH. I understood it to be just a
larger version of nodosa and probably not a separate species but then
sometimes I understand a lot of things that I'm wrong about.

Gene

Old 20-02-2007, 10:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I understand that, Gene, which I why I was curious about the all-white
blossoms. Just about every nodosa I've ever seen has had a definite
yellowish or greenish cast to the petals and sepals, especially on the
outside.

Old 20-02-2007, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
al al is offline

I scanned the awards for nodosa and found two of about 30 that listed the
petals and sepals as 'white' without any greenish, creamish, or yellowish
qualifier. I did not find any that mentioned the petal orientation.

B. grandiflora as a distinct species has never been granted an award (based
on wildcat data) I think several of the nodosa have been awarded as var.
grandiflora.

I had a visit from Allen Black, who is a close to an expert on the species
as anyone I have ever met, and asked him about eh distinction nodosa
versus grandiflora and his response was that nodosa comes from a very large
geographical area and many climate variations. Its leaf shapes vary greatly
as do its flower forms. He declined to suggest grandiflora was a separate
species.

I have many of these in my greenhouse; lots of variation, but none I would
claim as solid white. If yours is as nice as you say, get it to a judgery.

"Ray B" wrote in message
I received a division of a jungle-collected plant from way-back-when. It
has bloomed with the "cluster starburst" typical of the species/variety.

However, unlike any I have ever seen, the petals are straight out to the
sides, rather than thrust slightly forward, and are pure white, rather
than greenish.

Is anyone familiar enough with the species to give me a guess as to its
rarity?

Can genera Sophronitis, Cattleya, Brassavola, etc (Orchidaceae)become one? Marios Giannakoulias Plant Science 0 26-03-2009 10:32 AM
Brassavola crosses dd Orchids 2 05-01-2005 03:42 PM
Speaking of Brassavola nodosa... Hillevi P Orchids 6 03-02-2004 07:00 PM
Brassavola Dropping Leaves... mercury Orchids 6 21-01-2004 12:26 PM
Brassavola Dropping Leaves... mercury Orchids 0 21-01-2004 03:45 AM