Old 25-02-2007, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default bagging it and moving to FL?

i just finished reading an article on professional finishing of phals in
commercial greenhouses, and it mentions in passing the considerations of
cost of heating the 'house the further north you go. it got me
wondering how many of you who grow (either commercial or amateur) in the
-ahem- cooler climes have ever considered just picking up and moving
someplace warmer for the sake of the plants? (as soon as i win that
lottery, west palm beach here i come....)

--j_a

Old 25-02-2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:36:49 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Same here, even though I live in a mild climate.
K Barrett

No way. I want 4 seasons. I lived in Indy for a while - They had Ice
season, and gray season and summer. I want snow 2 days on the ground
and gone Spring, Summer, and Fall. High plains of Colorado foot
hills give me that. Under normal winter conditions

I have to admit we almost broke the record for snow on the ground - 60
days this year the record now is 61. That is measurable snow, 1/2
inch or more at the measuring station. It just does not last when
you get 46 degree days, so we did not make that last two days.
SuE
Old 25-02-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I visit Orlando about every other month. When I get off the plane this time
of the year I ask myself "I don't live here because?"

Let's see ... Housing prices about 1/3 of the cost of DC area. Mild
weather in winter....hot in summer (but I like hot weather).

I'm ready to go. 6 inches of fresh snow this morning. YUK!

Gene

Old 25-02-2007, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Um, y'all come on down! That means all y'all! (No, I don't really talk like
that, but I'm considering adopting the language.)

Sue, we do have seasons here. They are not as onerous as northern seasons,
but they are defined. And as far as heat goes, we are geared toward it.
Everything is a/c'd. Lots of tiki places on the water for eating and
drinking, if you are so inclined, and there's always a breeze. In the height
of summer we have our afternoon t-storms to cool things off. They last just
long enough to take the edge off. Pools are common, not unusual.

Not for a million bucks would we go back! It's as close to Paradise as one
can get.

Diana

Old 25-02-2007, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hey I googled real estate in Port St Lucie. I can get a house both on the
river and on the shore... I don't know how that works geographically,
exactly, (translation: Big Bugs) but I get a dock, and a sunset and that's
all I care about... *G*. Now if I just didn't need money I'd be set. My
question is: since one's odds of winning the lottery is the same whether you
buy a ticket or not, then why don't They just enter everyone (that is to say
ME!) in the lottery? Why can't They just hand me money? Like on Star Trek.
Money is a thing of the past and the only thing to strive for is to be the
best person you can be. And to read Plato in the original Greek. [sigh]

Am I a whiney Californian or what? *G*

K Barrett

.. .

Old 25-02-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Unknown,

Awwww sorry, Florida is closed now since last Wednesday.

Mick

Old 25-02-2007, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

river and on the shore... I don't know how that works geographically,

The *river* is the Indian River, aka the Intracoastal Waterway. There is
also the St. Lucie River, which has lots of tributaries. It gets kind of
confusing. Yes, you can get to one from the other. When you see *river* in
Port St. Lucie real estate ads, they mean the St. Lucie River, because Port
St. Lucie doesn't abut the Intracoastal. This city is quite young, and was
originally built by GDC for retirees, with little houses. Those original
areas are giving way to commercial development, and PSL is not even close to
being a retirement community. We wouldn't have come here if it was. PSL has
been the fastest growing city in the nation. There have been growing pains;
city *leaders* are not big enough people to deal with what PSL is becoming.
They are unsophisticated people with access to tax revenues. Very dangerous
combination. Very upscale housing has come in, we've got a biomed corridor
on the drawing board. A company is coming in from CA (Torrey Pines) and more
will follow.

Compared to CA, PSL is very affordable. But since we moved here in 1999,
housing prices have essentially tripled, except in the old areas. There's a
little slump right now, but it will pick up again. My son lives in Palm
Beach Gardens (40 minutes south) and has a small, older three bedroom, one
bath house with a carport. It's worth about the same as ours, and we have 2K
sf, a canal behind us, a pool, glass everywhere, etc. So this is a good
investment area. Palm Beachers and Miamians cash in and come up here. That
pushes prices up.

Am I a whiney Californian or what? *G*

Absolutely! Very Left Coast! LOL!

Diana

Old 25-02-2007, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

You and my husband, both pulling up the ladder, Mick. Are we closed for
Lent?

Diana

.. .

Old 26-02-2007, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Just over 25 years ago, my wife and I moved from the DC area to Florida. Our
house cost less than in the DC area, BUT our auto and house insurance was
much higher in Florida.

Chris S.

Old 26-02-2007, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana,

What's Lent?

Personally, I am closed just now only because I got some Lint in my flux
capacitor last Wednesday, but I should be good again by Monday. As far as
letting any more people into Florida I say no. We got enough of 'em now.
They're everywhere around here. Send the rest to Montana... or California.

Mick

===================

Old 26-02-2007, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

One word:

Hurricanes.

Too many personal friends in Florida, Alabama, and Louisiana have been
devastated by them. I can't imagine building up a collection and having it
blown away or flooded with salt water.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 26-02-2007, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Um, y'all come on down! That means all y'all! (No, I don't really talk
like that, but I'm considering adopting the language.)

Sue, we do have seasons here. They are not as onerous as northern seasons,
but they are defined. And as far as heat goes, we are geared toward it.
Everything is a/c'd. Lots of tiki places on the water for eating and
drinking, if you are so inclined, and there's always a breeze. In the
height of summer we have our afternoon t-storms to cool things off. They
last just long enough to take the edge off. Pools are common, not unusual.

Not for a million bucks would we go back! It's as close to Paradise as one
can get.

Where are you located?

Old 26-02-2007, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Eric,

Yes! You are right! Hurricanes... we have ton's of them. All you people
thinking about moving here should go somewhere else where there is no
hurricanes... or cocka-roaches, or snakes, or killer mosquitoes... or
Canadian tourists jamming our roads up into a tangled mess because they have
no idea where they are at.

And all you other people in Florida... you should get out while the gettin'
is good. There is a hurricane a coming!!!... y'all.

Kenni and Diana (and Diana's hubby)... you can stay.

Mick

news