Old 18-04-2003, 05:44 PM

Default Newbie with adopted orchid has ?s needs advice

Hello all, and thank you in advance for any ideas you may have.

First, I freely admit I know very little about orchids, and apparently
some of what I 'know' is wrong!(ie., 'orchids are hot house
plants/indoor plants, and must be planted in special bark mixtures).

I adopted this plant at an estate sale. At the time, it was foilage
only, with a stem laden with green bulbs I was told would bloom. Was
told it was an orchid, and that it had always been kept outdoors
(relatively unprotected area.) Had my doubts, but it was free so I
took it home.

This is the So. California area, about 60 miles East of Los Angeles.
We've had a pretty cold winter (for CA, with several freezing nights
and a few heavy rainstorms. This plant has been living outdoors, near
a tree so in semi-shade during the summer, and only recently moved
nearer the house for shelter. During the last month, the green
'thingys' did indeed turn into beautiful blooms. Here are the urls
for two pictures I just took, one of the whole plant in the same black
nursery bucket I got it in, and a closeup of the blooms:

http://www.uia.net/~wildcard/ebay/orchid1.jpg
http://www.uia.net/~wildcard/ebay/orchid2.jpg

I have done *nothing* to it - no fertilizer, etc., just watering
during summer. The 'soil' it's planted in looks/feels like basic old
potting mix! I'd like to keep it alive though, and maybe even
divide/repot it, so would appreciate any tips or websites with
'novice' info. And, anyone know what kind it is (or if it's an orchid
at all!

Many thanks!
Kate
Old 18-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Wendy

Hi Kate, Welcome to the group. You have a standard size Cymbidium. Do a
search & you will find more info.
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation.../cymbidiu.html
Enjoy the flowers & then you can divide or repot. In the mean time watch for
slugs, snails or aphids.
Someone on this group once posted step by step instructions with pics so
maybe they will read this.
Keep in touch here as you will get lots of tips.
Cheers Wendy
om...

Old 18-04-2003, 11:44 PM
profpam

Kate,

The pictures indicate you have cymbidiums. It looks like it is thriving
okay beneath the tree. Be sure to move it before the leaves become
scorched and develope yellow/brown or white spots. Although winter sun
is favorable to the developement of the blooms, cymbidiums can old take
a few hours of summer sunlight. In addition, be sure to cover with
cloth when temps start falling below 40 or place them under the eaves of
your home.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 19-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Ernie

What you have is a Cymbidium Orchid. They can be grown outside but
should be protected from freezing. Placed up next to the house when
frost is expected will help. I grow mine in smooth river rocks. Water
ounce or twice a week, depending on the heat, fertilize with 1/2
teaspoon Grow More per 5 gallons of water each week. That's right 1/2
teaspoon to 5 gallons of water. Like all orchids they do not need very
much fertilizer, to much and it stunts the growth or even kills them.
Good luck with your prizes. Ernie

Old 19-04-2003, 07:44 AM

Thank you, everyone! Wendy, I went to the link you provided, then
followed it to others. What's funny, it seems I did a lot of the
right things - but only by accident! LOL!

Ernie - what did you mean by you have yours in smooth river rocks?
Did you mean as the 'growing medium'????

There's one more thing I should mention. I'm moving in a couple
weeks, from the 'Inland Empire' area to the 'High Desert', where
humidity is much less. (Temps will be about the same, except that
summer nights will be cooler than down here.) Aside from keeping it in
part shade and limiting heavy sunlight, I was thinking of placing the
pot on a shallow container filled with stones that I pour water into
to raise the humidity. Good idea? Bad?

I think it may have been left in direct sunlight too much at its
former home, as there is some yellowing of some leaves. I've trimmed
most of them off, and the previous owner apparently trimmed some other
leaves pretty much down to the soil. I have brought it up near the
house to a more sheltered area as we've been having some cold nights.

Hoo boy, by comparison my Irises are soooooooooo simple

Thank you again for all your help! Hopefully my poor orphan orchid
will survive the move

Kate

Old 19-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Wendy

Good on you Kate, now I shall have to get some tips for growing Irises.
Cheers Wendy
"K" wrote in message
om...
Thank you, everyone! Wendy, I went to the link you provided, then
followed it to others. What's funny, it seems I did a lot of the
right things - but only by accident! LOL!

Ernie - what did you mean by you have yours in smooth river rocks?
Did you mean as the 'growing medium'????

snip
house to a more sheltered area as we've been having some cold nights.

Hoo boy, by comparison my Irises are soooooooooo simple

Thank you again for all your help! Hopefully my poor orphan orchid
will survive the move

Kate

Planting adopted daffodils Doug[_2_] Gardening 6 20-05-2012 10:36 PM
I need to help my adopted yucca but i know nothing paterson00 Gardening 2 17-05-2008 04:09 AM
Help needed with 'adopted' jade plants lisavye Gardening 4 08-02-2008 03:38 PM
Adopted a turtle Mike Patterson Ponds 11 20-07-2005 01:14 AM
[IBC] Newbie needs advice Innov8tive.net Bonsai 0 04-06-2003 12:08 AM