Old 06-03-2007, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Updated Orchid Genera names lists

I have just about finished updating my genus names list and the hybrid
names cross reference list. I sent the orchid registrar (Julian Shaw)
an email with 65 questions about names that need clarification but it
will probably take him a while to research the answers. Most
of the questions are pretty esoteric so I doubt they will affect what
the average user needs the lists for.
The lists are a compilation of data from a number of sources, most
importantly the three lists (Natural genera, Hybrid genera, and Hybrid
genera components) which Julian sent me in December and contain the
latest information from the RHS database.
I put the lists, up to date as of March 5, on our club website so they
can be downloaded. The three lists from Julian are also available on
the same page.
They are at http://los.lon.imag.net/MiscFile.asp
The genus names list with the valid classes for our show (based on the
Mid-America schedule) is called "L.O.S. Genus Names"
The hybrid cross reference names list is called "L.O.S. Hybrid Names
by Genus"
That list has a table for every natural genus name that is used in a
man made hybrid. It shows every combination of other natural genus
names and what the resulting man made hybrid name would be.
Hope you find the data useful.