Old 11-03-2007, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Phaius hybrid and a couple other questions

Hello All!
I hope this note finds you all in good health. I just brought a
Phaius hybrid - Dan Rosenberg 'Mellow Yellow' - with a clonal name
like that, who could resist? g ( off topic but I sorta seem to
remember being at a concert in Philadelphia many years ago where
Donovan opened for Yes)
I'm going to go look up the care for this plant, but I remember
reading Phaius are shade plants and my question is how shady? Shady
like for African violets ... or shady like Paphs (that really need
bright light without too much direct sun) ... or lots of bright light
with morning sun?
It's in a peat moss / bark mix. This is actually a rescue attempt ...
I got it at a local supermarket, a left over from Valentine's Day.

Also, I have a Paph. hybrid, Maudiae type, and each new growth is
higher than the last. Is this going to be a problem? The newer
growths aren't putting out roots. Should I just repot at an angle?

I have an Onc. Twinkle that grows and flowers just fine, but I get a
lot of spotting and tip dieback on the leaves. I'm not sure if it's a
culture problem, like I'm doing wrong, or not.
I grow on an eastern facing windowsill with about 50 other orchids and
Tillandsia. I water as needed, no extra humidification, light handed
with feeding.
Thanks and have a great day!
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

These are in the same group as Calanthe and Bletilla, terrestrial in nature.
While I don't grow them at all Rebecca Northen says "adequate shade'.
Growing conditions are intermediate, potting is similar to Calanthe would
work, a well draining compost, sometimes topdressed with cow manure (ick)
and a lot of rocks or broken crockery for drainage in the pot. No colder
than 55F at night. She says these require adequate watering all year and
additional feeding once the flower spike has started (If topdressed with
manure).

Eric Hunt has a picture of a magnificent specimen on his page
http://www.orchidphotos.org/images/o...i/image092.htm

K Barrett

oups.com...

Old 13-03-2007, 11:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have several Phaius and grow them in very bright light with access to lots
of water. I have one now in a 7 gal bucket that is producing 3 spikes over
6' tall and leaves over 2.5' long. During the summer I grow them right under
the Vandas. I have a Phaiocalanthe that seems to like the same conditions
but drier winter and flowering time.
Gary

Old 14-03-2007, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks Kathy and Gary .... I appreciate the info. I looked in
Northen's book and found the section on Phaius. I also looked in
Pridgeon's book and it said shade under the general discussion, and
under P tankervillae it said up to full sun. So, I'll start with
bright light and move on from there.
Kathy ... thanks for the link to Eric's site .... well, I'm gonna have
trouble with this plant as it grows - the one on Eric's site looks
huge!!! Bit off somewhat more than I wanted, again! g

I also checked Jay's place and Gastrorchis seems to be a synonym of
Phaius. I was somewhat surprised that a named orchid was available at
my local supermarket ... they occasionally have Phals, less frequently
Paphs, but I've never brought one there before. The vendor's tag (?)
is "Orchid Decor" whoever that is.
I wanted to get a new orchid at the Philly Flower Show, a nice
miniature Pleurothallis perhaps, but didn't see any. My wife and I go
every year to celebrate our anniversary (28 years now), and this year
we invited my parents (my mom's Irish) so we didn't get to spend as
much time as usual in the sales area. So, what to do? I went and
got a three foot monster plant at the supermarket! G
Luckily, I've never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer,
and I do like the Phaius flower. So I guess I have a couple years at
least to figure out how to steal more window space from the family!
And I thought I was cured .... Silly me!
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa
Laelia fidilensis, Christieara (Aer flabellata x Ascnda ...), a couple
noid Phals, a Maudiae type Paph, Lc. Yellowbird, Cochleanthes
amazonica, Onc Twinkle, Neostylis Lou Sneary, and a noid Tillandsia
(but not T. ionantha) in or about to bloom - got to love it!

Old 14-03-2007, 09:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

If you want to see an impressive display of phaius, take a trip to the Bok
Sanctuary near Lake Wales, FL. They've got them in-ground by the thousands
(OK, the did when I visited many years ago), and they're growing in dappled
sunlight beneath the huge trees.

(Watch out for the squirrels.)

oups.com...

Old 14-03-2007, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mar 14, 4:29 am, "Ray B" wrote:
If you want to see an impressive display of phaius, take a trip to the Bok
Sanctuary near Lake Wales, FL. They've got them in-ground by the thousands
(OK, the did when I visited many years ago), and they're growing in dappled
sunlight beneath the huge trees.

(Watch out for the squirrels.)

Yes, there are still lots of Phaius there. And the squirrels are a
nuisance. Bok also has quite a few Camellias, but not nearly as many
as the Leu Gardens in Orlando, which has several hundreds of
Camellias, many of them quite large bushes, trees, really. They were
in full bloom just after Christmas when I was there.

J. Del Col

Old 14-03-2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Have never grown the Dan Rosenburg hybrid, but Phaius tankervilliae did well
for us in the ground, with morning Florida sun, for several years (until the
triple hurricanes). Kenni

Old 15-03-2007, 09:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

No, their ultra-pesky squirrels that have become so used to people -
especially people feeding them - that they have no hesitation running up to
you and right up your leg and torso in an attempt to get food.

Think "The Birds" with four feet and bushy tails.

Old 15-03-2007, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Think "The Birds" with four feet and bushy tails.

I get the mental picture! Makes me grin.......

Diana

"bobc" wrote in message
[...]

Phaius flavus [email protected] Orchids 8 29-03-2011 06:32 PM
DIY substrate heating & a couple other things Bob Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 28-12-2003 07:32 AM
A couple of questions about winter and container gardens Mark Anderson Gardening 1 24-09-2003 11:02 AM
Phaius Karen Orchids 2 07-05-2003 02:44 PM
Phaius Tankervilleae Wendy Orchids 1 01-05-2003 01:32 AM