Old 18-03-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Systemic pest killers

I don't know about Home Depot but you could check Wallgreens or Ace or
others like grocers, hardware, ect.

Bob

"Minelli Family" wrote in message

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
I recently had an infestation of mites. I talked to Jerry Fischer at
Orchids Ltd. and he said to use insecticidal soap three times three days
apart on all plants in the growing area. The problem seems greatly
diminished, if not gone.

I will spray all the plants before bringing them in next fall.

Others have said just spraying mites with water is effective.
I like the soap. I want them dead.

Regarding the inside insects, put 3 quarts of water in a gallon
container, add one pint of alcohol and
one pint of orange 409. Spray weekly.

I don't order online anymore after several disappointing experiences.
Would Home Depot carry Orange 409 and the soaps? I know they carry the
usual insecticides.

I was at an Orchid class recently and one of the speaker/vendors
announced that he had some plants with that he would no longer sell. He
offered to show all who wanted to see why. The plants were in clear
plastic pots. He had dropped one and when he picked it up and checked it
for breakage he noticed mealy bug larva on many of the roots. Sprays
won't kill those. unpotting, dipping and repotting will, but I wonder
about the eggs.... Are they laid topside or down around the roots as
well?

I had cactus infested with root mealys about 10 years ago. I soaked them,
in their pots, in Malathion and covered them with a plastic sheet for 24
hours to hold the fumes in. I did this a week apart for several weeks.
It got them all. But now they may be resistant to Malathion. I believe
the eggs are laid in the soil around the roots.

Old 19-03-2007, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I found this while researching a different topic:

From http://www.green-seeds.com/land_flor4.html scroll down to this story:

Root Mealybugs

Arnold H. Hara,
CTAHR Dept. of Entomology, Hilo

Root mealybugs occur only on roots of their host plants. Because they are
undetected, occurring below-ground, root mealybugs can be a serious pest.
Currently, the Hawaiian Islands have 7 species of root or hypogaeic
mealybugs. The most pestiferous species have been the coffee root mealybug,
Geococcus coffeae, and Rhizoecus hibisci. Plant host range of these root
mealybugs are very wide, infesting grasses, palms, citrus, cyperus,
pineapple, coffee, mango and syngonium.

In pots, root mealybugs occur throughout the root mass; however, they are
concentrated between the root-ball and the pot. Infestations of root
mealybugs are noticeable only if the root-ball is removed from the pot. The
white waxy material is the most important sign of root mealybug infestation.
Mealybugs secrete lots of white waxy material that covers their bodies.
Female mealybugs lay eggs or give birth to live young (crawlers).If eggs are
laid, they usually hatch in less than 24 hours. Crawlers are the dispersal
stage and are highly mobile. Once the crawlers find a suitable site, they
settle down and begin to feed on roots with their sucking mouthparts. The
entire life cycle ranges from 2-4 months depending on the species. Adults
live from 27-57 days, also depending on species.

Prevention

Because the root mealybug is very difficult to control, every effort should
be made to prevent spread and establishment. The following practices are
recommended to prevent spread and establishment:

1.. Inspect roots of newly purchased plants for root mealybugs by removing
the pot.

2.. Avoid root-bound plants by re-potting as needed; root-bound plants
encourage mealybugs.

3.. Use clean pots and media; if infested wash with soap and water.

4.. Treat or remove infested plant hosts from your premises.

5.. Do not allow water from infested areas to drain into clean areas;
crawlers can be transported in water.

Control

Research by the University of Hawaii, CTAHR, has demonstrated that
insecticides and/or a hot water dip are effective treatments. Dursban WP
applied as a liquid drench and Marathon G are effective against root
mealybug. Watering plants prior to drench application will significantly
reduce problems with phytotoxicity. Consult the Cooperative Extension
Service, Hawaii Department of Agriculture or a reputable agrochemical
professional for a specific product registered for use. Submerging potted
Rhapis palms in 120° F (49° C) hot water until the internal root ball
temperature reaches 115° F(46° C) is 100% effective in killing root
mealybugs. Hot water at 120° F does not significantly affect potted
Rhapispalms.

For more information or a detailed report contact Arnold Hara in Hilo at
Ph: (808) 974-4105, Fax: (808) 974-4110 or e-mail:
.

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
[...]

"Dayton" wrote in message

Thanks. The biggest problem in spraying is that the plants are in a
closed room under flourescent and HID lights so ventilation is a real
problem during the winter (Maine where the low was -15° last week).
That's why I tried the Neem, it being a natural product. Will try some
of
the others, which I have all of for outdoor work, when I can open the
windows or take the plants outside. Was hoping that there might be a
magic bullet because the scale problem has been going on for a couple of
years. Every time I think they're gone, I turn around and they're back.

We have the same problem with meanly bugs and spider mites in a small
hobby greenhouse. No amount of spray, even systemic works for long. So
far the orchids have been spared, but we fear they'll get infested next.

Old 19-03-2007, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Fromhttp://www.green-seeds.com/land_flor4.htmlscroll down to this story:

Root Mealybugs

Arnold H. Hara,
CTAHR Dept. of Entomology, Hilo

Submerging potted
Rhapis palms in 120° F (49° C) hot water until the internal root ball
temperature reaches 115° F(46° C) is 100% effective in killing root
mealybugs. Hot water at 120° F does not significantly affect potted
Rhapispalms.

For more information or a detailed report contact Arnold Hara in Hilo at
Ph: (808) 974-4105, Fax: (808) 974-4110 or e-mail: .

I remember reading somewhere else about using hot water on plants, I
just don't remember where. Has anyone else seen that? I wonder if
orchids would tolerate 120F? Or 115F? I have used 100F to wash newly
acquired orchids _if_ pests were found. Both were Phals with
mealies. I used alchohol to kill the visible bugs, then washed the
plants, bare root, in 100F soapy water. Seems to have worked, but
with the alchohol, and soap, and hot water ... well, I'm not sure just
what did them in. This was about 18 months ago and I haven't seen
any new mealies. I wonder about cactus too ... could they survive hot
water? I really hate using harder drugs (I am easily hooked G) and
just like using soap or alchohol.
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa

Old 20-03-2007, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"bobc" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I suppose one of the two of us should work up enough courage to email Arnold
Hara at the U of Hawaii and ask him.. Palms ain't orchids...but hey. quien
sabe...???

K Barrett

Old 21-03-2007, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Our local Home depot's, Ace Hardware stores, feed and seed (like Tractor
supply, TSC) and all the organic garden stores carry inseciticidal soaps,
usually the brand called Safer.

. ..

Old 21-03-2007, 09:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

FWIW, I find that so-called "insecticidal soaps" offer no advantage over
ordinary household liquid dishwashing detergents, and the same might be said
for horticultural oils compared to vegetable cooking oils.

My preferred spray for spot treatments is a tablespoon each of cooking oil
and liquid dishwashing soap (I use a brand made from 100% vegetable and
fruit oils) in a quart of water.

"BruceM" wrote in message
Our local Home depot's, Ace Hardware stores, feed and seed (like Tractor
supply, TSC) and all the organic garden stores carry inseciticidal soaps,
usually the brand called Safer.

. ..

Old 21-03-2007, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Larry Dighera's Avatar
Registered User

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:21:56 GMT, "Ray B"
wrote in UO6Mh.14001$el3.5242@trndny01:

FWIW, I find that so-called "insecticidal soaps" offer no advantage over
ordinary household liquid dishwashing detergents, and the same might be said
for horticultural oils compared to vegetable cooking oils.

My preferred spray for spot treatments is a tablespoon each of cooking oil
and liquid dishwashing soap (I use a brand made from 100% vegetable and
fruit oils) in a quart of water.

Would the addition of 50% alcohol to that mixture be expected to
increase its effectiveness?

Old 21-03-2007, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -www.firstrays.com

Ray, I've also used baby oil on a no ID Slc. applying it with a Q-Tip
to kill some kind of orange mite. I applied it to every leaf surface
(there are only 6) and down into the bract clasping the pseudobulb.
That also seems to have worked. I did wash the leaves with soapy
water a day or so later, because I was worried the oil wouldn't
evaporate and would suffocate my plant.
Bob campoli

Old 28-03-2007, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Ray B" wrote in message
FWIW, I find that so-called "insecticidal soaps" offer no advantage over
ordinary household liquid dishwashing detergents, and the same might be
said for horticultural oils compared to vegetable cooking oils.

My preferred spray for spot treatments is a tablespoon each of cooking oil
and liquid dishwashing soap (I use a brand made from 100% vegetable and
fruit oils) in a quart of water.

Wouldn't that leave the plants a sticky oily mess?

"BruceM" wrote in message
Our local Home depot's, Ace Hardware stores, feed and seed (like Tractor
supply, TSC) and all the organic garden stores carry inseciticidal soaps,
usually the brand called Safer.

. ..

Old 28-03-2007, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Wouldn't that leave the plants a sticky oily mess?

At that concentration, it doesn't. And it really does work.

Diana

Old 28-03-2007, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Wouldn't that leave the plants a sticky oily mess?

At that concentration, it doesn't. And it really does work.

Diana

I'm definitely going to try it.

Old 29-03-2007, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I'm definitely going to try it.

Also, for more of this stuff, check out Ray's site:

www.firstrays.com

Diana

Old 29-03-2007, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi all,

Spring show season is about half over and I have to say that this year
I have received more questions about mealies than any other year. Way
more, it is as if the east coast is in the mist of a mealie
infestation. I am not sure where they are all coming from, but at one
show the vendor next to me was including mealies with his plants.
Check plants before buying! It has been sort of weird, a lot of the
people with mealies are convinced that the way to rid the problem is
with alcohol even after multiple failed efforts. I am not sure where
all the alcohol hype is coming from, but I bet it is not coming from a
grower with more than 5 plants.

With all the mealie questions I though maybe chemicals had been
removed from the market, so I checked a garden center. Many of the
old cures were still on the shelves (Orthene, Malathion and Sevin) as
well as the newer weapon Imicloprid. The tools are still there, I
just don't get it.

Pat

Old 29-03-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

Pat Brennan wrote:
Hi all,

Spring show season is about half over and I have to say that this year
I have received more questions about mealies than any other year. Way
more, it is as if the east coast is in the mist of a mealie
infestation. I am not sure where they are all coming from, but at one
show the vendor next to me was including mealies with his plants.
Check plants before buying! It has been sort of weird, a lot of the
people with mealies are convinced that the way to rid the problem is
with alcohol even after multiple failed efforts. I am not sure where
all the alcohol hype is coming from, but I bet it is not coming from a
grower with more than 5 plants.

I've gotten some plants in from wholesalers with mealies. Wholesalers
who don't usually have them (west coast...). I blame the west coast.
*grin*. That might be the root of the problem.

In the house I use alcohol to kill mealies with great success. But in
the greenhouse I knock them down with alcohol and whack them with a
systemic while they are staggering around drunk. That seems to take
care of the mealies.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1