Old 17-03-2007, 08:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
PA PA is offline

Default Orchid ID, please

Hi,

I got this orchid as a present and no clue of what it is.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...N0034Small.jpg

Can you please give some advice on how to take care of this plant? Normal
water or rain water? sun or shade? light or dark? how much water?

At the moment it is in the office away from the sun.

Thanks in advance

Old 17-03-2007, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Looks like a miltonia or miltoniopsis hybrid, possibly something in the
general "oncidiinae intergeneric" classification.

http://www.firstrays.com/PDF/miltonia.pdf

Old 17-03-2007, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I think I used to have something similar. It would bloom with a profusion
of flowers, sometimes 4 spikes per pseudobulb. Ah! What a nice plant!
Then it croaked (probably becasue I failed to water and fertilize it.) My
bad.

Anyway, I think one of the species in the background is endresii. I think
this may be sold by Hillsview Orchids in Oregon/Washington area. In
addition to the culture sheet Ray provided I think it'd do better with
rainwater, if you can get it.

K Barrett

Old 18-03-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Is there any kind of name on the label?

That looks like a pot inside a pot without drain hole. Don't let the roots
sit in water unless its in semi-hydro per Ray's website.

bob
. ..

Old 19-03-2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
PA PA is offline

Hi thanks,

Just another quick question. How do I found out if it is a warmer or
cool-growing?

The label just says "Orchid" and the watering instructions vary according to
the language!!!

And yes it is a pot inside a pot but the bigger pot if half full with gravel
so drainage and water in the roots should not be a problem.

Thanks for the help!!!

PA

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
. ..
Is there any kind of name on the label?

That looks like a pot inside a pot without drain hole. Don't let the roots
sit in water unless its in semi-hydro per Ray's website.

bob
. ..

Old 19-03-2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

That one (because of the enderesii parent) is a bit more temperature
tolerant. I'd grow it in the same temperatures that you like, ie not less
than 55F at night, and no more than 85F during the day. Keep it out of
drafts from the heater/air conditioner.

K Barrett

"PA" alves###paulo@gmail#com wrote in message
Hi thanks,

Just another quick question. How do I found out if it is a warmer or
cool-growing?

The label just says "Orchid" and the watering instructions vary according
to the language!!!

And yes it is a pot inside a pot but the bigger pot if half full with
gravel so drainage and water in the roots should not be a problem.

Thanks for the help!!!

PA

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
. ..
Is there any kind of name on the label?

That looks like a pot inside a pot without drain hole. Don't let the
roots sit in water unless its in semi-hydro per Ray's website.

bob
. ..

Old 19-03-2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mar 17, 4:01 am, "PA" alves###paulo@gmail#com wrote:
Hi,

I got this orchid as a present and no clue of what it is.http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...N0034Small.jpg

Can you please give some advice on how to take care of this plant? Normal
water or rain water? sun or shade? light or dark? how much water?

At the moment it is in the office away from the sun.

Thanks in advance.

First ... Congratulations!
Second ... start saving now - you'll need to buy more.
Third ... in addition to the other advice I would add - when watering,
remove the inner pot to the sink and water it there. After it drains,
put it back in the decorative pot.
Does your office building use softened water? Softened water is
generally believed to be bad for plants of any kind - too much
sodium. If it is, bring water from an untreated source. I use tap
water.
What kind of media is it growing in?
As for temperature, Miltoniopsis don't like warm weather ... like
Kathy said "... no more than 85 degrees F." I have tried Milt.
hybrids before, but none lasted long and I believe it's because my
house gets too hot in summer. I don't have air conditioning.
While it's blooming, light isn't as critical. Do any windows in your
office get morning sun? Are they tinted? Do you have blinds? Even
'shade' orchids need rather bright light, protected against direct
sun. Many like early morning sun, before it gets real hot, but midday
sun would scorch them. That's why I asked about tinting and blinds.
Sun through blinds can be similar to sun through trees. And if your
windows have tinting, that cuts down on the intensity a bit too.
Good luck with your new plant. Don't worry about it too much, orchids
are tougher than many people think.
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa