Old 18-03-2007, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Personal Orchid tracking software

I returned from the Fort Worth Home show with 4 more orchids from the Fort
Worth Orchid Society. That makes 28 pots and I now want a something a
little better than my Word document to track the orchids and keep them
straight. Does anyone have suggestions for a database type software that
can be used to track your orchids? I have seen some really old posts for"
Everything Orchid Management System ", Currently located at
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

and it looked good. Any one with experience with it? Any others out there?

Old 18-03-2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 02:00:01 -0500, "BruceM"
wrote:

I returned from the Fort Worth Home show with 4 more orchids from the Fort
Worth Orchid Society. That makes 28 pots and I now want a something a
little better than my Word document to track the orchids and keep them
straight. Does anyone have suggestions for a database type software that
can be used to track your orchids? I have seen some really old posts for"
Everything Orchid Management System ", Currently located at
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

and it looked good. Any one with experience with it? Any others out there?

I think most of us create our own via the database we have on our
systems. We use MS Access. We have gone thru several changes as our
collection grew. I started with 3x5 cards - recipe box style. Then
Excel now we keep the data we want on Access.
SuE
Old 18-03-2007, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:

I returned from the Fort Worth Home show with 4 more orchids from the Fort
Worth Orchid Society. That makes 28 pots and I now want a something a
little better than my Word document to track the orchids and keep them
straight. Does anyone have suggestions for a database type software that
can be used to track your orchids? I have seen some really old posts for"
Everything Orchid Management System ", Currently located at
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

and it looked good. Any one with experience with it? Any others out
there?

I think most of us create our own via the database we have on our
systems. We use MS Access. We have gone thru several changes as our
collection grew. I started with 3x5 cards - recipe box style. Then
Excel now we keep the data we want on Access.
SuE

I do IT work as a living, which inlcudes a ot of MS Access dabbling. . I
was really trying to avoid doing it myself, even though I know it wouldn't
be hard, just time consuming.
When I come home, the last thing I want to do is work on another IT project!
I would much rather work in the gardens or do somethiang with the wife and
kids....

Old 19-03-2007, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yes Bruce, I have it & use Pam's database. She used to be a frequent poster
here but work has kept her busy & away.
If you know how databases work, you shouldn't have any trouble. I also
have my own db I made from Access. originally DBase I.
I have just received the upgrade from ProfPam for Vista which I haven't had
loaded yet.

There are some nifty features in Everything Orchid Management System &
one of the ones I like is the listing of "Blooming Plants"
Of course you have to input the data but with a few clicks you have a list
for everything that has bloomed in a certain month.
There is a very good Greenhouse Maintenance Setup as well. ie things that
need to be done.
In 3 words. . . . .I like it.

Feel free to email me with any questions.

Cheers Wendy