Old 22-03-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default AQ Plus

The new "Orchids" magazine has a full page ad plugging the new AOS AQ Plus
program - formerly the e-AOS Awards Subscription Service. Before I order
it, does anyone have any comments?

David

Old 22-03-2007, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

David Edgley wrote:
The new "Orchids" magazine has a full page ad plugging the new AOS AQ Plus
program - formerly the e-AOS Awards Subscription Service. Before I order
it, does anyone have any comments?

David

Are they going to update the e-AOS program we have already spent good
money on to this new version? I haven't seen the Orchids magazine yet,
nor will I for another three weeks if history is any guide.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 22-03-2007, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:10:32 -0400, Rob
wrote:

David Edgley wrote:
The new "Orchids" magazine has a full page ad plugging the new AOS AQ Plus
program - formerly the e-AOS Awards Subscription Service. Before I order
it, does anyone have any comments?

David

Are they going to update the e-AOS program we have already spent good
money on to this new version? I haven't seen the Orchids magazine yet,
nor will I for another three weeks if history is any guide.

The Spring AOS meeting is the "annual renewal time". They promise a
NEW program, quarterly CD updates -- but still only a 2 computer
install. (John and I each have our own desktop and I would like it on
the Laptop.)

I think since it took me from December to until March 1 to get my
update* I will skip a year. IT has great photos (the actual award
photos) is stable and easier to run than the original. It is not as
graphic as Orchid Wiz.

* they had missed my registration when they published the mailing
labels and I had the devils own time convincing her to check.
SuE
Old 22-03-2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It will have all the award slides scanned by a student at the Pacific
Central from the Pacific Central slides. Please be aware that the slides are
usually crappy. Not the SCANS of the slides, the original slides themselves
were crap because the (volunteer) photographers are generally unskilled at
photography, therefore, do not expect the marvelous photos that you see
published in teh AQ or 'Orchids' magazine. Plan on always saying 'Here's a
crappy image...' when you present the picture for viewing to your
friends/colleagues. We always do, *G*.

That said they are better than nothing.

The student should get an award for selflessly scanning 40,000+ slides. It
took him 2-3 years. 'P' was especially hard. (Phals, Phrag, Paph.....) As
far as I know he didn't get a dime or any other consideration for the work.

OrchidWiz has a feature where you can access the eAOS program as long as you
own both programs. If anything it really shows the difference in useability
of the 2 programs. The eAOS is clunky and unintuitive, but it costs less
and has the images.

Remember The slides were crap to begin with. I can't say that enough
because teh public will have expectations of grand images of gorgeous
orchids,

And that just ain't so.

Never was.

K Barrett