Old 05-04-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Normal?

Bob, go buy the Ortho book 'All About Growing Orchids'. Should cost about
$12 at any bookstore. I've even seen it at Home Depot. Its also on
Amazon.com. You can probably get a used copy on Amazon for a song. It's a
great basic education for a person starting in the hobby, probably will take
about an hour or two to flip through and it'll be a handy reference as you
want more information as your interest in this hobby grows. It answers the
questions you don't yet know you need to ask. *G*

K Barrett

"Robert Lorenzini" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:13:41 -0400, Diana Kulaga wrote:
Bob, it's not a keiki at all. It's simply a new, immature pseudobulb.
You've
got two of them. A basal keiki might be found, for example, on a
Phalaenopsis, which does not grow on a rhizome. The plant is doing just
what
it ought to do. Be happy!

Ok, we have been calling every new growth a keiki and now I
have to go look up rhizome. :-( I'm looking forward to a
small compot of Neofinetia falcata (I hope I misspelled that
correctly) that I just bought on ebay. I got a friend hooked
and he asked me to bid on .95 plant from the same vendor.
Well surpise he got it and just 2.50 additional shipping.
(Zygopetalum mackayi)

Bob

Old 05-04-2007, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 20:34:45 -0400, Diana Kulaga wrote:

By the way, remember that Zygo. mackayi is a fairly cool grower. I learned
this years ago when I was even more stupid than I am now, LOL! Keep it in
the air conditioned cabin with lots of light. I won't comment on Neo.
falcata, since I killed the only one I had. I fully intend to get another,
and keep it happy!

I have one NF on a mount that is doing really well with new growths
and roots. I'm trying to specialize in fragrant minitures. My
friend also lives on the coast so the Zygo may work for him.
I also have a Sedirea japonica that is flowering.

Bob
Old 05-04-2007, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On 05 Apr 2007 12:52:26 GMT, wrote:

Wrong plant family.
Basil keikis are more useful for pesto...

:-)
Old 05-04-2007, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 08:01:44 -0700, K Barrett wrote:
Bob, go buy the Ortho book 'All About Growing Orchids'. Should cost about
$12 at any bookstore. I've even seen it at Home Depot. Its also on

I will look for it. I have read about a dozen books from the liberry
but learning the big word orchid language is a challenge for my
elderly brain.

Bob