Old 06-04-2007, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Laelia fidelensis

Hello the group!
I have a plant sold to me as Laelia fidelensis which is now
flowering. I looked in Pridgeon's book which doesn't have a picture,
but described it as having two or three flowers per inflorescence. My
plant has ten buds on each, three of them are open. The picture I
found at plantfacts.com looks nothing like my plant. For one thing my
plant has non resupinate flowers (lip on top).
I am going to Jay's site shortly, but was wondering if rotating my
plant so all sides get light (it's on a windowsill) would cause the
flowers to become non resupinate? I think I'm grasping at straws, but
asked anyway.
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Apr 5, 8:39 pm, "bobc" wrote:
Hello the group!
I have a plant sold to me as Laelia fidelensis which is now
flowering. I looked in Pridgeon's book which doesn't have a picture,
but described it as having two or three flowers per inflorescence. My
plant has ten buds on each, three of them are open. The picture I
found at plantfacts.com looks nothing like my plant. For one thing my
plant has non resupinate flowers (lip on top).
I am going to Jay's site shortly, but was wondering if rotating my
plant so all sides get light (it's on a windowsill) would cause the
flowers to become non resupinate? I think I'm grasping at straws, but
asked anyway.
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa.

Now I'm talking to myself!!! G
But I just went to Jay's site and my plant is almost surely not L.
fidelensis. The chase begins!
lol

Old 06-04-2007, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

bobc wrote:
On Apr 5, 8:39 pm, "bobc" wrote:

Hello the group!
I have a plant sold to me as Laelia fidelensis which is now
flowering. I looked in Pridgeon's book which doesn't have a picture,
but described it as having two or three flowers per inflorescence. My
plant has ten buds on each, three of them are open. The picture I
found at plantfacts.com looks nothing like my plant. For one thing my
plant has non resupinate flowers (lip on top).
I am going to Jay's site shortly, but was wondering if rotating my
plant so all sides get light (it's on a windowsill) would cause the
flowers to become non resupinate? I think I'm grasping at straws, but
asked anyway.
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa.

Now I'm talking to myself!!! G
But I just went to Jay's site and my plant is almost surely not L.
fidelensis. The chase begins!
lol

can you post a pic on abpo?
Old 06-04-2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"tennis maynard" wrote in message
bobc wrote:
On Apr 5, 8:39 pm, "bobc" wrote:

[...]

I can't think of a non-resupinate Laelia... Some Epidendrums are
non-resupinate...

K Barrett

Old 07-04-2007, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Apr 6, 5:12 pm, "V_coerulea" wrote:
And a bunch of Encyclias.
Gary

bobc wrote:
On Apr 5, 8:39 pm, "bobc" wrote:

[...]

K Barrett- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Tennis, Kathy and Gary,
Looking at the flowers made me think of an Epi or Enc. right
away ... but what do I know?g These flowers are a plum color (I
think), the sepals are slightly twisted and wavy, wider petals,
without twisty or wavy, and all parts have darker lines. The ps'bulbs
are up to four inches long and on a short stalk.
I am going to try posting a picture to AOL and will post a link
here when I do. I apologize, but I can't seem to get the how to post
on abpo ... I've tried before but get only headaches. It will take a
few days to post a pic ... taxes tomorrow, then re-installing Kodak
software and uploading the old pics on my daughter's camera ... yadda
yadda .... phew I'm tired already!g

Bl fidelensis X digbyana v_coerulea Orchid Photos 3 26-04-2008 10:38 PM
laelia gouldiana Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 0 13-06-2003 04:20 PM
Laelia info John Mallery Orchids 0 12-04-2003 01:44 PM
Laelia Paulo Orchids 5 11-04-2003 01:56 PM
Deflasking rupiculous Laelia Dewitt Orchids 7 02-04-2003 02:32 AM