Old 06-04-2007, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Fluorescent lighting

Hello again!
Spring is here - in my neck of the woods - and I feel good!
My question is concerning artificial lighting. I have a shelving unit
36" Lx 14"D x 52"H in front of the window with orchids on two
shelves. The top shelf contains several Cochleanthes and Phals all of
which are doing well. The next shelf down contains Paphs primulinum
and delenatii, Dendrochilum glumaceum, a couple no ID Phals, Aerangis
citrata, Ludisia discolor, and several pots of Pleurothallis grobyii
along with a Hwra. Lava Burst 'Puanani'. This shelf has three 18 watt
fluorescent plant lights and both shelves receives three to four hours
of early morning sunshine.
Now for the question :
1. Both Paphs have been with me for three years, are growing slowly,
but haven't flowered yet. They're in the brightest positions (closest
to the tubes) along with the Dendrochilum (which won't flower
either). The Phals are next down in terms of brightness. Ludisia
discolor and Aerangis citrata are in the lowest (farthest away from
the tubes) light position. The pots of Pths. grobyii are scattered
about, amongst and between the other plants. Does this arrangement
make sense to you?

The leaves closest to the light are three inches away from the tubes
and those farthest away are about twelve inches away from the tubes.
The tubes are six months old and I'm expecting to change them yearly.
I'm hoping the additional lighting will jump start these plants.
If anyone has any additional comments, or suggestions ... Thank you!
Bob Campoli

Old 06-04-2007, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On 5 Apr 2007 18:14:58 -0700, "bobc" wrote:

[...]

Since you are planning to grow under the lamps 12 months - I would
change the bulbs 1 every 6 months.. Or at least a month a part as you
have started them at the same time. Sometimes the change of all the
bulbs at once is a SHOCK and sometimes they are so secondary that it
is no more different than the change in day length. I am assuming
they are the major light for this group of plants.

Your Den's probably need a dry rest in the fall and winter months to
initiate bloom.
SuE
Old 07-04-2007, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Since you are planning to grow under the lamps 12 months - I would
change the bulbs 1 every 6 months.. Or at least a month a part as you
have started them at the same time. Sometimes the change of all the
bulbs at once is a SHOCK and sometimes they are so secondary that it
is no more different than the change in day length. I am assuming
they are the major light for this group of plants.

Your Den's probably need a dry rest in the fall and winter months to
initiate bloom.
SuEhttp://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/main.php - Hide quoted text -

Hi Sue and thanks ... the lights are meant to supplement natural
lighting, and enhance it.
You mentioned "...Den's probably need a dry rest in the fall and
winter months to
initiate bloom." I thought Dendrochilum's didn't rest, but grew all
year?
Bob

Old 07-04-2007, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On 6 Apr 2007 16:32:50 -0700, "bobc" wrote:

Hi Sue and thanks ... the lights are meant to supplement natural
lighting, and enhance it.
You mentioned "...Den's probably need a dry rest in the fall and
winter months to
initiate bloom." I thought Dendrochilum's didn't rest, but grew all
year?
Bob

Sorry - I thought you said Den as Dendrobium not Dendrochilum. I also
think Dendrochilum need water and good light to grow all year.
SuE