Old 07-04-2007, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Secret to having two flower spikes?

Is there a secret to getting a plant to grow two spikes? Many of the
plants in my local nursery are small but have two spikes.

A few of my plants are on their second blooming but the all have only
one spike. I'm happy they are blooming of course but wondered if
there was more I should be doing.

I don't do anything different whether they are in bloom or not. Since
they are doing quite well I'm hesitant to make changes but maybe I
should??

I have them in a window that gets filtered morning sun. I feed the
orchid food with every watering. I only water when they feel on the
dry side.

One more question - I just got a new Phal and I notice that there is
styrofoam on the bottom of the pot with moss as the planting medium.
I bought it in a very reputable nursery where I've purchased many
other orchids. I have a few with the moss but this is the first one
with the styrofoam. Is that OK? It's gorgeous right now with many
flowers and buds.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

There are many things that can play a role in that, with genetics and
general health and strength of the plant being two big ones. As there's
nothing we can do about genetics, let's consider the overall health of the
plant.

The plants at the nursery are certainly getting more light than yours, as
they are getting it longer than just in the morning, and possibly at a great
intensity. That allows more photosynthesis to occur, so the plant can build
up more energy.

You mention you feed at every watering, but there may be differences in the
fertilizer formulas that can have an impact, as well as the concentration
applied and the frequency. The minerals in the fertilizers are the
"building blocks" the plant uses not only for increasing its size, but for
the creation of enzymes, to aid the retention of other minerals that may
affect the overall health of the plant. pH of the nutrient solution can
also play a roll.

If you feed the same formula and concentration at each watering as the
nursery, I'd bet their conditions require them to water more often, which
means that their plants are being fed more often, allowing them to absorb
more nutrients. If you're interested in learning more about plant
nutrition, I have a few of articles posted under the "Feeding Your Plants"
section near the top of my "Free Info" page, including the 5-part article
posted by Dr. Bill Argo, the guy who invented the so-called "MSU
Fertilizer".

Another factor is that of temperature. Dr. Win-Tung Yang and Texas A&M has
been doing a lot of research on phalaenopsis, and he has found that at
warmer temperatures, phals respond by growing faster, but if grown at cooler
temperatures, the plants grow more slowly, but bloom better. I would
speculate that the temperature in your home is on-average warmer year 'round
than it is in a typical greenhouse. Whether that has a practical impact, I
cannot say for sure, but Dr. Wang's work suggests it might.

ups.com...

Old 08-04-2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

what ray said. i have a blooming golden peoker daughter which i thought
was growing a basal keiki; turns out it's another spike. one of my big
NOIDs is blooming off a branch of an old spike, and grew another. (pics
to ABPO when all the flowers open.

as for the styrofoam, that's fine; many growers throw a handful of
packing peanuts in the bottoms of pots when re-potting; it's light, it
won't degrade, it's waterproof, and will allow more air to circulate
around the bottom of the root ball, prevent packing of wet medium and
possible rot.

--j_a

Two Spikes? KurtG Orchids 6 29-11-2006 06:01 PM
Could use some advice/input about having two custom pergolas built I Love Lucy Gardening 12 11-05-2006 03:46 PM
Help! Flower spikes have "snapped" off overnight! {masked} Orchids 6 07-11-2003 06:42 PM
3 flower spikes, good? Peter Ashby Orchids 4 21-10-2003 12:02 AM