Old 08-04-2007, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Virus test results

Some of you may remember that I was stuck between 2 mentors (feeling like a
fool) over whether a plant I'd brough in for judging had virus or not. Sure
enough it didn't. It was clean. I sent 25 plants in for testing of those
only 4 had OSRV. (Odont ring spot virus.) They've been sent to the trash
can. I'll post the pics on apbo (or whatever those initials are.)

K Barrett

Old 08-04-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Well then, the news is good and bad. Great that the original suspect is
clean. After your last thread about this, I'm sure you're not totally
surprised that a few culprits turned up. Are you going to test any more?
I'll be interested to see the photos.

Diana

. ..

Old 08-04-2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

KB,

The spite in me would want to take it in and rub Mr. Know-it-all's nose in
it. I think you should send him the bill.

Good Growing,
Gene

. ..

Old 08-04-2007, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yes the one's that I thought looked like thrip damage I'm sending in for
testing. The ones with odd blotches and veining I'm holding off. Of the
25 I sent in most had odd blotches or veins. Only 2 of those came back with
virus. All the "thrip damage" spotted ones came back with virus. Which
****es me off because one of my favs has 'Thrip damage'. Over time I'm
going to get the whole collection checked. It'll take a while, but hey.
Its the olny way to be sure.

K Barrett

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Well then, the news is good and bad. Great that the original suspect is
clean. After your last thread about this, I'm sure you're not totally
surprised that a few culprits turned up. Are you going to test any more?
I'll be interested to see the photos.

Diana

. ..

Old 08-04-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

SPOTS!

Oh you have Dalmation Fire House. Large white orchids with black spots.
Often with moist nose and smells bad when wet

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Yeah, but on the other hand if he hadn't spoken up I'd still be lying to
myself about the spots in my collection.

K Barrett

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
KB,

The spite in me would want to take it in and rub Mr. Know-it-all's nose
in it. I think you should send him the bill.

Good Growing,
Gene

. ..

Old 08-04-2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Some of you may remember that I was stuck between 2 mentors (feeling like
a fool) over whether a plant I'd brough in for judging had virus or not.
Sure enough it didn't. It was clean. I sent 25 plants in for testing of
those only 4 had OSRV. (Odont ring spot virus.) They've been sent to the
trash can. I'll post the pics on apbo (or whatever those initials are.)

K Barrett- Hide quoted text -

What testing lab do you use? I have a few orchids that I would like
to have tested.

Thank you,

Nancy

Old 15-04-2007, 09:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It's possible to become very philosophical about virus testing in
orchids. There isn't a lot of good literature on them, a lot of bad
literature, and a bunch of stuff that nobody can (or wants to) believe.
It's a minefield.

Visual tests: The ol' EBT (eyeball test) doesn't measure up.
"Looks like virus" flat-out doesn't cut it.

Lab tests: The standard ELISA test has some problems to it. The
first thing is that orchids *may* have a propensity to give false
positives (as related to me by a PhD in plant pathology from a leading
school). The other problem is that there are a number of viruses that
afflict orchids, and the big two are the only ones people test for.
ImmunoStrips may be better, or may not. Agdia now sells twin tests for
CyMV and ORSV- two tests on one strip. The price drops to $5/test in
quantity.

The only test that seems to meet the criterion for low false
positive, low false negatives, detection of multiple viruses- and has the
benefit of being inexpensive- is the ol' indicator plant. Plants are grown
from seed, the leaves are scarred with some sandpaper, and plant juice is
dripped into the wound. Some indicator plants fail to undergo systemic
infection, meaning multiple leaves can be tested and "read." It also may
be useful for some (not all) viruses that we normally don't test for-
impatiens necrotic spot virus (INSV), turnip mosaic potyvirus, orchid
fleck rabdovirus, vanilla mosaic potyvirus, etc.

Northen's "Home Orchid Growing" has a good section on use of
indicator plants. I understand some species of Oxalis are useful, as is
Cassia occidentalis. I also understand some cultivars of what used to be
very useful indicator plants have been selectively bred for their
*resistance* to viruses, so when possible wild strains should be selected.

The address in the header is not valid. Send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ