Old 08-04-2007, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Misting question

I just replanted a phal. The planting medium that I got is some kind
of bark chips. It appears to dry out very quickly and when I water
it, the water just runs out the bottom immediately.

The plant is doing fine. It has a flower spike that is growing so the
replanting when well.

Should I mist the wood chips? I'd rather not start misting the plant
because I have had really good luck with the other five plants that I
have and I've never done any misting.

I'm just concerned that this repotted plant is drying out too quickly.

By the way - I LOVE this newsgroup. You guys have given me such great
advice and I'm slowly becoming addicted to the wonderful plants.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Jane" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just replanted a phal. The planting medium that I got is some kind
of bark chips. It appears to dry out very quickly and when I water
it, the water just runs out the bottom immediately.

That was my problem also so I added some peatmoss and Sphagnum moss to the
mix. That helps keep them damp longer.

The plant is doing fine. It has a flower spike that is growing so the
replanting when well.

Should I mist the wood chips? I'd rather not start misting the plant
because I have had really good luck with the other five plants that I
have and I've never done any misting.

I mist all my orchids every day. I also have a small fan running in the
sunroom so they dry off quickly.

I'm just concerned that this repotted plant is drying out too quickly.

By the way - I LOVE this newsgroup. You guys have given me such great
advice and I'm slowly becoming addicted to the wonderful plants.

They are indeed addictive. )

Old 08-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
I just replanted a phal. The planting medium that I got is some kind
of bark chips. It appears to dry out very quickly and when I water
it, the water just runs out the bottom immediately.

The plant is doing fine. It has a flower spike that is growing so the
replanting when well.

Should I mist the wood chips? I'd rather not start misting the plant
because I have had really good luck with the other five plants that I
have and I've never done any misting.

I'm just concerned that this repotted plant is drying out too quickly.

By the way - I LOVE this newsgroup. You guys have given me such great
advice and I'm slowly becoming addicted to the wonderful plants.
No, I wouldn't mist the bark. Keeping it moist is akin to watering everyday, and you know what that does to the roots.

Weng
Old 10-04-2007, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On 8 Apr 2007 06:00:31 -0700, "Jane" wrote:

I just replanted a phal. The planting medium that I got is some kind
of bark chips. It appears to dry out very quickly and when I water
it, the water just runs out the bottom immediately.

The plant is doing fine. It has a flower spike that is growing so the
replanting when well.

Should I mist the wood chips? I'd rather not start misting the plant
because I have had really good luck with the other five plants that I
have and I've never done any misting.

I'm just concerned that this repotted plant is drying out too quickly.

By the way - I LOVE this newsgroup. You guys have given me such great
advice and I'm slowly becoming addicted to the wonderful plants.

Let the water run. Make sure the wood chips on all sides of the pot
have a chance to get moist. The water going thru just says that you
have good air space in the pot. Air is important to the roots. You
may have to check this one more often. It may take extra watering.
Use a bamboo Bar-B-Q stick and see if the bottom of the pot is damp
before re-watering. Stick it in and let it sit for 30 seconds to a
minute. When you remove it does the bottom appear damp? Then wait at
least a day to water. Also check the weight of the pot. You will
become accustomed to the heavy wet pot and the light dry pot.

Next time soak the bark chips over night or for at least an hour, then
drain and use to pot the plant. You can use warm water to facilitate
a more rapid absorption during this soak. Some bark will not absorb
water if it is bone dry, thus pre-wetting with a soak breaks the 'bone
dry' cycle.
SuE
Old 10-04-2007, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Apr 9, 9:16 pm, SuE wrote:
[...]

SuEhttp://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/main.php

I did soak the chips overnight before repotting.

I put a small amount of Sphagnum moss on top yesterday.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Jane" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just replanted a phal. The planting medium that I got is some kind
of bark chips. It appears to dry out very quickly and when I water
it, the water just runs out the bottom immediately.

The plant is doing fine. It has a flower spike that is growing so the
replanting when well.

Should I mist the wood chips? I'd rather not start misting the plant
because I have had really good luck with the other five plants that I
have and I've never done any misting.

I'm just concerned that this repotted plant is drying out too quickly.

By the way - I LOVE this newsgroup. You guys have given me such great
advice and I'm slowly becoming addicted to the wonderful plants.

What you have described sounds good to me,it possibly is not as dry as you
think ,only the top layer of bark.As mentioned get used to lifting the pot
and don`t get to bogged down with watering too much as this will surely kill
the plant.
Thanks Keith

Automatic Misting Controll Switch Larry Dighera Orchids 13 18-06-2003 10:32 PM
Misting John Mallery Orchids 0 04-05-2003 06:32 PM
[IBC] Moss in dry climes (was: [IBC] Misting outdoor trees) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-04-2003 03:44 PM
[IBC] Misting outdoor trees Brian Berggoetz Bonsai 4 12-04-2003 09:20 AM
Misting System Broken Sam Bass Texas 0 05-04-2003 12:10 PM