Old 08-04-2007, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Trouble with Vandas

Live in central OH and keep several vandas in my conservatory on a humidity
tray. The leaves turn yellow and fall off then it dies. What else do they
need? Dendrobiums, cattelayas, phalenopsis live in the same room and are
thriving. Varigated papheopedolums have healthy foliage but don't bloom.
Any suggestions?

Old 08-04-2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Alicia Moïse wrote:
Live in central OH and keep several vandas in my conservatory on a humidity
tray. The leaves turn yellow and fall off then it dies. What else do they
need? Dendrobiums, cattelayas, phalenopsis live in the same room and are
thriving. Varigated papheopedolums have healthy foliage but don't bloom.
Any suggestions?

Do the Vandas tend to start that kind of trouble in the winter?
What's the coldest that it ever gets in that conservatory?
If not too cold, how is it heated?

Steve .... who grew up in central Ohio .... 30 years ago.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 23:29:12 GMT, "Alicia Moïse"
wrote:

Yes they get sick in the Winter. The lowest temp is 65 but humidity becomes
a problem. Heat is with an electric heat pump.
Thanks.
"Steve" wrote in message
m...
Alicia Moïse wrote:
Live in central OH and keep several vandas in my conservatory on a
humidity tray. The leaves turn yellow and fall off then it dies. What
else do they need? Dendrobiums, cattelayas, phalenopsis live in the same
room and are thriving. Varigated papheopedolums have healthy foliage but
don't bloom. Any suggestions?

How are they potted? IF they are in baskets they will need to be
watered often. IF they are in pots with mix - not quite as often. But
still Vandas have a tendency to put their roots out into the air, thus
they need a light hosing often. We mist for a solid minute every
morning. (yes, it is automatic.)
A low of 65 should not bother them, but if the humidity is 20% rather
than above 35% they will need some extra moisture.
SuE

Trouble ID'ing lawn trouble GaryM Gardening 0 24-05-2004 10:05 PM
Vandas in SH was Rhynchostylis care questions mg Orchids 0 08-12-2003 04:13 AM
vandas light level ron doctors Orchids 7 28-10-2003 01:12 AM
one of the Vandas Sekanek Orchids 1 30-05-2003 04:10 PM
Citrus Wood for vandas? Ol' Thornfinger Orchids 1 09-04-2003 09:20 PM