Old 22-04-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default speaking of virus testing

went to the GNYOS show yesterday; lots of purty plants (incl. 3 kovachii
hybrids from piping rock; they claimed to be selling seedlings but i
didn't see any; another guy had seedlings for $75 per 2 inch pot (!))
and there was an outfit there selling virus test kits. basically it's a
dip strip type of thing; tests for cym mosaic and odont ringspot.
website www.agdia.com for those interested. they also seem to do testing
of samples you send in. (disclaimer: i don't know those folks, i don't
know anything about virus testing, and i have no idea if it works.)

and yes, i managed to get out of there having bought only one plant, and
it small enough to fit in my shirt pocket. (encyc. cochleata.)

the bad news: this morning i discovered my phal brother lancer which i
had thought i had brought back from stem rot, had it again. tossed the
plant.

--j_a
Old 22-04-2007, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Orchid Gods was speaking of virus testing

I spoke with some other mentors and decided to try the dry pod technique to
see if I can get clean plants out of my virused ones. One I'm just going to
toss, I didn't like it anyway. The others I figure, 'what teh heck...'

I have a friend who tests everything with the agdia test strips. Again they
only test for the 2 viruses and like we all know there's 457billion other
viruses it could be. (yeah I'm overstating it, but let's face it. The
minute you say you tested a plant people come out of the woodwork to tell
you how stupid you were to believe the results and that you wasted your time
and money becasue there are 457billion other viruses they don't test for
which you could have a false +/- result for too. [sigh])

But I digress.

j_a, you've angered The Orchid Gods. They require that you buy another
orchid. Its the only way to appease them. They require periodic 'wallet
sacrifice'. 'I gave at the office' excuses don't apply. Neither does 'I
have no space' (See Rob's Rules). You simply *have* to go buy another
orchid. Do it quick before they decide you have to buy more than one.... I
wound up at the Sacramento Orchid Show with 4 new orchids.....

I hope the gods are satisfied, but somehow I doubt it.

To quote The King (lyrics were changed for the general public, but I
reprint them as originally intended)

Lord almighty, I feel my temperature rising.
Higher higher. Its burning through to my soul.

Orchid, Orchids. You gonna set me on fire.
My brain is flaming. I dont know which way to go.

These orchids lift me higher. Like the sweet song of a choir.
You light my morning sky with burning love.

To quote The Bard ; 'Get thee to a nursery'

K Barrett
(Yeah, I know. Its actually 'Hie thee to a nursery' but I translated it
from English into English.)

Old 23-04-2007, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Apr 22, 2:03 pm, "K Barrett" wrote:

j_a, you've angered The Orchid Gods. They require that you buy another
orchid. Its the only way to appease them. They require periodic 'wallet
sacrifice'. 'I gave at the office' excuses don't apply. Neither does 'I
have no space' (See Rob's Rules). You simply *have* to go buy another
orchid. Do it quick before they decide you have to buy more than one.... I
wound up at the Sacramento Orchid Show with 4 new orchids.....

I hope the gods are satisfied, but somehow I doubt it.

-sniffle- but.. but--i repotted my l. discolor yesterday and of course
one of the branches broke off, so i stuck it in another pot; now i
technically have *two* l. discolors. does that count?? -puppy dog
eyes- (of course, once it roots it's going to my sister in law, but
the orchid gods don't have to know that....)

and i really *don't* have any more space. and it's one thing to
wander all over NYC all day with a two inch pot in one's pocket, but
i really couldn't have done it with anything bigger. (although from
what i could see, the sellers were doing a bang up business; lots of
folks leaving there with armfuls of plants.)

-will not buy more plants will not buy more plants-

--j_a

Old 23-04-2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

See? You broke a plant already.... so far the score is Orchid Gods 2, j_a
0. But hey, people have ignored the gods before. Its what makes us human.
Or as the Borg say 'hyoomanh'. Resistance really *is* futile. *G*

K Barrett

Old 23-04-2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:30:04 -0400, unknown
wrote:

went to the GNYOS show yesterday; lots of purty plants (incl. 3 kovachii
hybrids from piping rock; they claimed to be selling seedlings but i

an outfit there selling virus test kits. basically it's a
dip strip type of thing; tests for cym mosaic and odont ringspot.
website www.agdia.com for those interested. they also seem to do testing
of samples you send in. (disclaimer: i don't know those folks, i don't
know anything about virus testing, and i have no idea if it works.)
--j_a

Sorry to hear about your Phal. We were at the GYNOS on Sat. Very
disappointing. After years of photos and descriptions of this lavish
display... It was crowded on an narrow footprint behind the normal
area for the show. Talked to Lauris from Cal Orchids. She said the
venue wanted to make more money by giving the rink tent over to a
cafe. It did nothing for the show. Piping Rock's Phrag K. hybrids
were nice, nice and disappointing. 2 had the size and color from
Phrag K. the other was smaller and not as vibrant toned. Only one was
named - . Right now I don't have my notes or the memory to tell you
what the hybrid was.

There was a miniature mount which I would have had to identify as
Aerangis luteo-alba v. rhodosticta -- except it was on steroids. The
flowers were close to 2 inches long. It was in the glass case in the
second house and the tag had disappeared. But I know no other white
flower with an orange anther cap.

We came home with no new plants - a new record. - But walking in NYC
does that to you. No interest in hauling more than I had.
SuE

Old 23-04-2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Apr 23, 11:29 am, SuE wrote:

Sorry to hear about your Phal. We were at the GYNOS on Sat. Very disappointing. After years of photos and descriptions of this lavish display... It was crowded on an narrow footprint behind the normal area for the show. Talked to Lauris from Cal Orchids. She said the

venue wanted to make more money by giving the rink tent over to a
cafe. It did nothing for the show.

yes i kind of expected it to be on the rink. and agreed, a more open
floor plan would have been better. but not bad for $5. (although
with my train fare taken into consideration, this is the most
expensive orchid show i've ever been to.

--j_a

Old 23-04-2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:

Resistance really *is* futile. *G*

Yes, if there's one thing (and probably only one according to my
'friends') I do know, that's it! Resistance to the orchid addiction
really is futile. I tried it briefly and then when I finally broke,
well, to quote my 'friend' and fellow orchid-grower with whom I do the
Sept. Chicago Orchid Fest every year, "You are out of control!"

So don't save it up, folks, give in! It's the only way to maintain even
a semblance of control. And, oh, yeah, the other thing he said, later
when I was unpacking the boxes and bags from the trip and inventorying
the day, "You spent HOW MUCH??". Now I ask you, was that really
necessary when I was so happy?